hello, getting ready to double plank ,my bluenose with this super thin walnut I believe it is, anyway, im trying to decide what glue to use, ca or wood glue using a small brush to apply it, or just dap the ca glue every inch as I go, guess each have drawbacks,, what you guys think? thanks

Hi Leroy

Firstly , welcome to MSW

Be sure to start a build log for your Bluenose

To answer your question

Definitely wood glue Use a small brush or old scalpel blade to apply it full length

Wood glue gives you time to position the plank correctly and you can wipe excess off with

with a damp cloth.

CA is much less forgiving Giving you little time to make sure you have the plank correctly

positioned Also I would worry about the strips bubbling or lifting between the drops you apply

Hope this helps

regards

Ken 

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

yea that makes sense,, ill go with the wood glue, I don't have a camera so I cant really do a log, I might get one later on though, had one it broke,, the damn thing cost me 170 bucks and I took about 50 pictures,, so I kind of don't want to spend more money on one. im poor

Ditto what everyone has said. For raw wood to raw wood nothing beats .... ahem...wood glue.  :rolleyes: Titebond also being my favorite.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

The problem with gorilla glue is it foams up and makes a mess.  Titebond or Elmers is better.  Less messy and easier cleanup.

David B

Hi David

Gorilla now make several different glues but the packaging nearly all looks the same :huh: I have some of the 'foaming' stuff,but they do make a regular PVA type wood glue as well now.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

leroy, I use these with wood glue, it works great for the second layer planking and spreading the glue in general

http://www.mpmschoolsupplies.com/p-18826-plastic-glue-spreaders.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6deeBRCswoauquC8haUBEiQAdq5zh5Xlpr8N2NuL3qAPa-rPwyUwduPE1sQoVrljQfZspIsaAgEE8P8HAQ

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Hi David

Gorilla now make several different glues but the packaging nearly all looks the same :huh: I have some of the 'foaming' stuff,but they do make a regular PVA type wood glue as well now.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I have used the wood Gorilla glue with excellent results. Choosing between Gorilla and Titebond is really a very close call.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I only use CA very sparingly for some metal gluing and to secure knots--it's too hard to work with and has nasty vapours.

I agree with others that for gluing wood on wood PVA is the way to go.  The other thing, and this can be important, is that you can wipe off any excess glue with a damp cloth and it won't stain the wood or affect any coating  you put on afterward. 

Good luck and I look forward to hearing more about your build!

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

I used those brushes that you use for flux on copper pipes,, they are cheap reusable and worked really good for what I was doing,, im all done now it turned out great looking,, doing the decking now almost done,, also the gorilla glue I used was for wood only and worked pretty good tacked up fast for a wood glue, sanded off pretty easy as well, I got it at home depot it was about 4bucks for a big bottle of it, enough for 2 or 3 more builds. thanks for all the advice, too bad I don't have a camera I would take some pictures.

For larger items I use flux or acid brushes.  for small I use a sharpened bamboo skewer. For thinned down I use throw away watercolor brushes when they cannot be cleaned anymore.

David B

Ahoy Leroy :D 

I would suggest you consider something that is "not" waterproof; such as Titebond "original". Mistakes are so much easier to fix when all you need to do is add water. 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Yep,  PVA - althought in my case I use Aleene's Original tacky Glue, it isn't specifically wood glue,  but it works great, plenty of time to move pieces into place and once in place hold and sets pretty well.   I usually thin it with some water and brush it on with an older artists brush.

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

• 3 weeks later...

When applying the thin (0.5 mm) second layer of planking, I use a small drop of the gel type CA glue on the bow end of the plank and then use PVA (the quick drying variety) on the rest of the plank. This means that the plank is instantly secure at the 'pointy end' but can still be manipulated along its length. This works especially well on the more 'blunt' bows. Also, with these very thin planks, you need your first layer of planking to be nice and smooth. No hills and valleys. You really can't afford any more than a light sand with about a 400 grit sandpaper or you will end up sanding back to the first layer. Definitely DO NOT use a wood block or a delta sander of any sort. Light hand sand only.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Ahoy Mates 

While I am a big fan of PVA I did find when i did my second planking with walnut a little bit of CA proved very helpful 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/?p=24482

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf