Scotland by harbm - Corel - Scale 1:64 - Baltic Yacht - first build

Hi everyone, I decided to go with Corel's Scotland kit as my first build. I started it a few days ago, but first, an unboxing picture: 

post-14292-0-40427100-1406441583_thumb.jpg

Getting the bulkheads to fit into the keel properly took a lot of adjusting with needle files. Once I was satisfied with the alignment, I glued with them in place with glue gun and CA. A long nozzle attachment for my glue gun might be very useful for hard to reach places. Final result looks like this:

post-14292-0-43319500-1406441926_thumb.jpg 

Can someone who is building this let me know whether part 12 (3x3 Walnut strip) comes already tapered at the front end like in the middle picture on page 7 in the instructions? I did find Walnut strip, but it has flat ends. Also, am I supposed to cut it to fit it on the stern? 

Thanks! 

Ok, on board now. I molded the walnut strip I the front to match the keel.

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Alright, I'm back. I attached the deck today, the last bulk head was a little low so I adjusted it by adding some material. 

post-14292-0-83326600-1407288347_thumb.jpg

After attaching the deck however, I used rubber bands to hold it together while the glue dries. Unfortunately during the process the deck moved slightly to one side and left the bulkheads on the right side protruding more than the left - especially the first bulk head near the bow. 

I measured the bulkheads and they are perfectly symmetric themselves, it's just the deck itself is leaning to one side slightly. If I sand them down, I think I might end up with an asymmetric boat when it is planked. 

Does any one have any neat suggestions to fix this? I'll attach some pictures of the situation? I don't think using a solvent like acetone and trying again is any option since I used gorilla glue...

post-14292-0-98259500-1407288535_thumb.jpg
post-14292-0-38020100-1407288535_thumb.jpg

Easy fix, you will need to use a scalpel and scrap free the deck from each bulkhead. It will work but it may take a while. See the top view in your picture, you will need to expand the opening for the deck house on the deck platform. That's the cause, it's not formed correctly from the kit.

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

After a laborious effort, I managed to get the deck off with a scalpel. It's pretty beat up near the stern from the process but that's ok since it won't be visible in the end. 

I also filed down the opening for the deck house. I can get the bulkheads to be symmetric now but I think bulkheads number one jut out too much. The "back projection" clears the deck. Maybe it's just me, but what do you guys think? 

post-14292-0-12161200-1407339001_thumb.jpg

post-14292-0-25877900-1407339007_thumb.jpg

Did anyone happen to take pictures at this stage (after gluing the deck but before filing down the bulkheads). 

I think I filed them down, if you haven't glues it yet maybe compare the bulkhead to the part in the plans in the back of the book, it may help the alteration of the piece.

Edited by cdogg

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Thanks! It's exactly like the plan, I checked. It's just that the back part of the frame juts out a little. The front can be filed down but the back should be the same as the deck I think. 

Do you remember if you filed down the front notch on the deck to push it forward a little? That might fix the problem. Otherwise, maybe the extra back projection is fine it's very little, and I think I might go away as I shape the bulkheads...

• 4 weeks later...

Due to an unfortunate accident with beverages and my computer. I was a little distracted from updating my build log. I got a new computer last week and am posting my first update now. 

Due to a mistake I made earlier, I had to remove the deck and realign it after sanding around the deck house. I put everything back together and it looks fine now. I also attached the forecastle and the second raised deck near the stern. 

post-14292-0-87922000-1409281750_thumb.jpg

Removing the deck earlier though didn't go totally smoothly, It ripped a little near the back. I think this part will be planked over however. Any suggestions to minimize the damage done?

post-14292-0-19005000-1409281753_thumb.jpg

It is looking good harbm. The pictures could be better but it looks like you have a piece missing on the quarterdeck. That should be covered by planking as long as you you can get the planks across the defect.

There may be experienced builders here would might have a suggestion or two.

Thanks sygreen, will do. A couple of questions:

1. Did you use 70mm pieces of planking? I checked your build log and it seems like 2 pieces of your planking fit perfectly to join from the rear raised deck to the front deck. But the middle deck is longer than 140mm. 

2. If there is going to be another layer of planking on top of this one, why pay all this attention to detail or even cut them into identical strips? 

3. Do you have any resources or instructions for planking the deck? Most of what I found on the site talks about the hull but I couldn't find much about deck planking. I couldn't figure out what you meant by 2,3,4, or 5 step planking. 

I used 70 mm planking but if you look carefully I fudged a bit on the planks from the quarterdeck to halfway to the deck house.

There is only one layer of deck planking . 2 layers of hull planking. We will end up varnishing the deck

I read an article on the website in the decking /planking section called 

Simple Butt-Shift Deck Planking

It explains the step method. I found that using anything more than 2 step planking would be difficult with limited materials

Thanks for the link sygreen. I followed it and decided to go for the simplest planking since it's my first build.

Anyone have a good suggestion on how to shape the planks near the bow to have a nice curved shape? The problem is that the planks are quite fragile. I tried wetting it and tracing with a knife and I also tried sandpaper (for the first ones). But I can't really get a nice fluid natural shape without splintering them.

See pic:

post-14292-0-64603900-1409364444_thumb.png

Edited by harbm

• 5 months later...

I haven't been posting in a while, but I'm continuing the model at a slow and steady pace. I finished the deck and some of the stern and am now working on planking the sides. Will post pics soon.

over and out. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Harbm, Hope the build's going well - I've also got the Scotland and it's my first build (and infact my first model). It was a present and I've discovered the boat building bug! Just about to contemplate planking. Look forward to more updates. Cheers, Ben :)

• 2 weeks later...

hey sygreen! and welcome to my log benjy! I haven't been active lately, I was really busy with school, but I'm back now. Here's a pic of where I'm at right now. I'm doing the side deck planking. 

Deck detailing done with pencil:

post-14292-0-76600600-1430884578_thumb.jpg

current stage: 

post-14292-0-64595000-1430884593_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure how to do the planking above lath 27 (the one that ends at the deck house). It seems like there's no where to stick the planks on to. Unless I maybe use the thin side and super glue. Can someone advise? 

Hi harbm,

Welcome back. I made a mistake at this point in my build. I ran the plank right on top of the 1x6 plank from the stern to the deck house. There , of course, was a space between the top of the quarterdeck and that piece of planking. I then placed  another piece of planking to fill that space and ended up with a double step-up . See my pictures.. To fix it , I had to apply another plank to fill space.  Somehow that first plank has to run from the edge of the quarterdeck to top of the lath #27. I do not think it is possible. Check out my fix.

I found that at this point the instruction manual left out quite a few steps and I was on my own.

Maybe Casey will have an answer.

Hey Sygreen,

I just took a look. It seems you did it correctly actually (but a bit different from the manual). I think there's supposed to be 2 planks on top of lathe 27 like you did. It even shows it in some of the drawings. I did that too and am sanding the top most plank to make it flush with the deck house. 

It's a little hard to explain. I'll post pics when it's done and you can let me know what you think please!  

btw, catching up on your build log, it seems like you were down to scrap with the material too. You're right, they really give you exactly how much you need. I had to go to the hobby shop and pick up some extra planking to finish the deck. 

Hi! sorry for for the interruption of your topic, but I'm about t start the same model, my very first, and have a question.. In the very first step it says to glue the Strip (12) to the Keel. Where is this Strip? How can I tell it apart from all the other long wood pieces ? :S

Thanks

Hi! sorry for for the interruption of your topic, but I'm about t start the same model, my very first, and have a question.. In the very first step it says to glue the Strip (12) to the Keel. Where is this Strip? How can I tell it apart from all the other long wood pieces ? :S

Thanks

Hi,

I also have started this model recently. I have a picture of the part you mentioned in my build log. It is kind of easy to identify, a 3X3 walnut strip.

good luck!