Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How To : Add a Build Log Link to your Signature

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

GLakie

GLakie

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

• Gone, but not forgotten
  • 3,207 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI--USA

You might want to browse some of the other builds here on the site, and leave a few comments along the way, because you'll need at least 10 posts in order to post links and pictures. That rule is in place to prevent spamming.

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

Posted Image

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Bill Moseley

Bill Moseley
  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Ontario, Canada

Hi Medic,

I'm having the same problem. I must have tried six times to add a link. Maybe I've succeeded, I don't know. How do I know if a link is established?

If it is, will I see it in my profile?

Current Build : HMS Halifax - Constructo Kit - Scale 1:35

The Halifax was purchased in 1768 by The Royal Navy at transformed at Portsmouth into a colonial schooner.

Bill Moseley

Bill Moseley
  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Ontario, Canada

Hi Dan,

I've tried establishing a link at least 8 times now.

When I get the link edit box it has about 3 more boxes below the URL box (not just 3 like your sample).

If I right click in the URL box (is this the box you mean by 'the box shown in the picture') and select 'paste',

it puts the text from my first post in the box. Is this what it's supposed to do?

I didn't get any of the information I typed for my build post.

I'm about to give up trying.

Current Build : HMS Halifax - Constructo Kit - Scale 1:35

The Halifax was purchased in 1768 by The Royal Navy at transformed at Portsmouth into a colonial schooner.

Dan Vadas

Dan Vadas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationAbermain NSW Australia
it puts the text from my first post in the box. Is this what it's supposed to do?

The address of the post is a line of text. Provided you copied it correctly that is what is pasted into the URL box.

I've done it for you Bill - I hope that's the right page :) . To Edit it further open your Profile and go down to Signature. Proceed as a normal post edit.

I also renamed and moved it to Kit Build Logs in Progress - you had it in Nautical Discussion. I'm assuming it is the start of your Build Log?

When I get the link edit box it has about 3 more boxes below the URL box

This may be caused by using a different web browser to mine (I use Google Chrome now, but I was using Firefox when I posted this topic a couple of years ago). Just use the URL box and ignore the others.

:cheers:  Danny

• mtaylor likes this

____________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds : HMS Vulture Cross-section   

Build Logs : Norfolk Sloop   18 foot Cutter    HMS Vulture Scratchbuilt from TFFM books Index 1   Index 2

18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop, HMAT Supply, HMS Bounty, HMS Victory, Charles W. Morgan 18' Cutter for HMS Vulture HMS Vulture

18th Century Longboat in a Bottle

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

"The measure and merit of an individual is not how they handle themselves in times of prosperity and good will, but how they handle themselves in times of turmoil and chaos"

Karleop

Karleop
  • Members
  • 442 posts
  • LocationGuaymas, Mexico

Hola:

I can't remember how to add a link to my completed model gallery to my signature  (although I did already 2 times in the past!!).

Please point me to the instructions - I know they are somewhere.

Saludos, Karl

Finished Models (Gallery):

Pandora (Constructo)HMS Endeavour (AL)San FranciscoII (AL)Fishing boat (scratch), Vasa (Billing Boats) 

Construction log:  Vasa (Billing Boats)

Now under construcction:

Pride of Baltimore II (M. Shipways)

Dan Vadas

Dan Vadas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,190 posts

Karl, just go back to page 1 in this thread. All the instructions are there.

You will need to open your Gallery post and Copy the address in the browser bar. Paste this into the Link box.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs : Norfolk Sloop   18 foot Cutter    HMS Vulture Scratchbuilt from TFFM books Index 1   Index 2

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop, HMAT Supply, HMS Bounty, HMS Victory, Charles W. Morgan 18' Cutter for HMS Vulture HMS Vulture

"The measure and merit of an individual is not how they handle themselves in times of prosperity and good will, but how they handle themselves in times of turmoil and chaos"

Karleop

Karleop
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Hola Dan:

I had already made what you say but instead of appearing the Name of the ship it appears all the http// name. I think the instructions to add a page for a construction page (pp 1 of this thread) differ to the one to add a Gallery one.

Saludos, Karl

Pandora (Constructo)HMS Endeavour (AL)San FranciscoII (AL)Fishing boat (scratch), Vasa (Billing Boats) 

Now under construcction:

Dan Vadas

Dan Vadas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,190 posts

Hmm, it worked for me. Check your signature now ;) .

Karleop

Karleop
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Hola Dan:

I do not know how you do it but thanks for your help fixing my Signature.

Saludos, Karl

Now under construcction:

tasmanian

tasmanian
  • Members
  • 95 posts
  • Locationsouthampton new york

do you have one simple way to open a built log ? i know it s due to me but i don t understand anything  and i really try to do it . i would like to make a built log about my cutty sark from mantua . 

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,229 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

do you have one simple way to open a built log ? i know it s due to me but i don t understand anything  and i really try to do it . i would like to make a built log about my cutty sark from mantua . 

Go to the build log area for kits... http://modelshipworl...gs-in-progress/  I encourage you to read the pinned topics.  Then hit "Start a new topic" on the upper right hand side.  It will open a window for posting.  Give the log a name consistant with the naming convention, add text and pictures and you're off and running.

To continue the log, just go to the bottom of the last page on the log and use the reply box. 

Oh.. one more thing.  Have fun.

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPrince Albert Saskatchewan Canada

Hi, I am trying to add a build log link to my signature, all works good until I get to the "link" screen. I highlight the name I want and paste it into the URL line of the "link" screen then click on ok and nothing happens. It just sits there and does nothing. Can someone please help?

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts

this is what I am seeing

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0563.JPG

Dan Vadas

Dan Vadas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,190 posts

It all looked OK Don, I don't know what the problem was on your end. I've added the Link for you.

EDIT - On second thoughts - it looks like you didn't select and highlight the words (AL-Mayflower) that you wanted to link up.

:cheers:  Danny

• mtaylor likes this

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts

Thanks Danny, I am not sure what went wrong. I highlighted then pasted into the URL line but when I clicked on ok it just sat there???

Hopefully it works next time I try, on next build.

• Dan Vadas likes this

Seventynet

Seventynet
  • Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Hi Dan, I just wanted to say that I went through the same approach to add a signature (yesterday) as Don just described. The URL could not find the text anchor because every time I pasted the link in the URL box, the highlighted text (now in the background) would unhighlight. So it (explorer 11) would report that it could not anchor the link and would just hang there. I spent quite a bit of time trying to make it work. Eventually I gave up and went to my Mac and it went perfectly first time. So if one has Explorer 11 I am not sure it will work.

Best, Ian

Builds in progress - HMS Victory - by Caldercraft - Brazzera - by MarisStella
Builds completed - Cape Cod Catboat - by Bluejacket - Gokstad - by Dusek - Ship's Boat - by Dusek
<p>‚Äč
Build to start next - Revenue Cutter Cheerful - by Syren Ship Model Company

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,229 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

There are..<cough> a few issues <cough> with IE11.    Copy/Paste happens to be one of them.   Since MS is pushing Win10 and the Edge browser, I doubt IE11 will get a fix.

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts

How do I go about adding another link when it comes time, or are you saying I have no way of doing it?

Dan Vadas

Dan Vadas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,190 posts

How do I go about adding another link when it comes time, or are you saying I have no way of doing it?

Get rid of IE 11 and use Firefox or Google Chrome (both free) as your web browser. The issue will go away.

:cheers:  Danny

• mtaylor likes this

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts

thanks so much Danny I finally got it working, now I have to figure out why this line is here??? It just never ends, my problems that is :) 

• mtaylor likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.