I've searched for an easy way to rig cannons for my Armed Virginia sloop.  I came upon a technique used by Clay Feldman for his "Lexington" practicum.  I made a You Tube video of the process.  Here is the video:

Dave

Edited by DocBlake

Hi Dave

When you want them pulled up tight to the bulkward in the out of action and ready for heavy seas. Saves 4 blocks and makes it easy to produce a very neat rig.

But there will be one's who will want to keel haul you for not doing it as the real rigging.

For those guy's I say-do it as you want,but just look at Dave's rigging,and tell me if you did not know just how it was done,could you realy tell the difference? I would rather do it Dave's way and have great looking rigging.

I just did my Armed Virginis Sloop guns rigging a while back with the guns run out ready to fire. I would have used this way to rig a couple of guns to show the different ways that guns are rigged.

On my USF Confederacy build in the future will be when I use this way of rigging some of my guns. In 1/64 scale,this will be a great help.

Thanks for passing this rigging technique along to us.

Keith

Thank you!  This is great.

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

• 2 months later...

I FINALLY finished rigging and installing the cannons!  Way too much time spent.  I used the frapped line technique I described here,  based on Clay Feldman's "Lexington" rigging.  I did make a big change, though.  I thought the frapped line look straight and unnatural, so what I did was change the solid wooden core of the block assembly to two fake blocks with thin wire threaded through them.  I could then bend the assembly to get a little "sag" in the frapped line.  It looks more natural.  Now, finally on to rigging!

Dave

post-3900-0-24081100-1413991084_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-20866300-1413991099_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake