BEFORE YOU POST YOUR BUILD LOG - PLEASE READ THIS - Starting and Naming your Scratch Build Log

Well, I am more of a reader rather than contributor in here and as such I never even wrote a post (this one is my first, if I'm not mistaken). I'd like to start a build log as I've been toying with a project for a while and I kinda need advice... Are there any pre-requisites for starting a log or should I just give it a try?

----

Currently scratch  building (wood, plastic and lots of other materials) a Royal Louis

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/15003-royal-louis-by-fmartins-multi-media/ 

... let's see if it survives my poor hands... 

Just go for it.  Follow the guidelines and look to the ones in the forum for guidance.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks a lot buddy. I'll do it in the next few days! But I still have a question - I'm doing a Royal Louis but it's very small so the bulkheads are in plastic but almost everything else in wood (and a few other parts in carboard, etc.). Should I put it like "PLASTIC/WOOD/CARDBOARD/OTHERS", in the title?

----

Currently scratch  building (wood, plastic and lots of other materials) a Royal Louis

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/15003-royal-louis-by-fmartins-multi-media/ 

... let's see if it survives my poor hands... 

Should I put it like "PLASTIC/WOOD/CARDBOARD/OTHERS", in the title?

Those are tags intended to help members searching for models built in a specific medium. Listing every medium possible isn't particularly helpful. I edited your title to include the term "multi-media," which is a more accurate description of your model. Good luck with it!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 3 months later...

I have not built a boat/ship yet, but plan to build a scratch build one for a diorama that I am working on now.

The boat will need to be symmetrical in appearance. That is, not knowing which is bow or stern. Reason? The boat will traverse, upstream and downstream, under a lift-span bridge. I don't want the boat look like it is travelling astern under the bridge.

Can I include this diorama, bridge and boat, into this build log thread?

Peter.

Current Builds:  Wardell Bridge, Bridge on River Kwai, ADLIB-1, and the U-2540

Hey howya goin Tecko mate, I can't see why not as long as there is a ship been built in it to if there is no ship been built in the thread you can do the diorama build in the Shore Leave thread thats where we do other build logs that haven't anything to do with ships been built.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

I am having trouble setting a build log title for my restoration of a sailing model of a 3 masted full rigged ship that is capable of actually sailing.  As there doesn't seem to be a category for restorations of models, could the title simply be "Model Sailing Ship Restoration" ?  I sent what I thought was a suitable first instalment for my build log but have had no response from Model Ship World to date.  The photos sent however do appear simpy as attachments with no reference to the "parent document".  I'd be so grateful for you assistance.

Kind regards, Paul

Hi ikkypaul,

I've just checked your build log, and the title you have given it is about as good as you can do considering the circumstances of it's initial construction. Except that it looks a LOT like the Cutty Sark :D . If not, then leave things as they are.

If you want to edit the title again, use the Edit Button in the FIRST post of your build log. It's the only one in which a title can be edited.

Good luck with your project - it looks like your uncle did a good job on the model. It looks well worth restoring.

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hmm.... I don't see a build log for Paul... only his introduction.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, check out his Content in his Profile, that's how I found it :) . Or click HERE .

EDIT - I just noticed it's in the "Deleted Content" section.

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Danny,   I did do that... here's his "Ship Model Restorations" that shows up in "New Member Introductions."  Only link I could find from his profile.   Your "here" link goes to a "You do not have permission to view this content." page.    No log anywhere that I can see.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, read my last post again, I edited it - his Build Log is in the "Deleted Content" Forum. Maybe only Admins can access that???

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

Ah... yeah.. only the admins and maybe moderators can see the "deleted content" forum.   The only content I can see using his profile is in the "New Member Introductions".   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 months later...

Chuck I am near to posting a new thread for the build of a PBR Mark 1 River Patrol Boat by a number of members from our model ship group Model Shipwrights of Western NY. It will be for the museum where we hold our meetings. I will probably do most of the postings but others who are members on MSW may also do so. My question is " It's not really just by me, it is a group build by a subset of our members. What is proper for the 'BY' in the title?"

Joe

Thats pretty neat.....use the groups name in your title.  I am sure there will be many interested.

1 hour ago, Thistle17 said:

Chuck I am near to posting a new thread for the build of a PBR Mark 1 River Patrol Boat by a number of members from our model ship group Model Shipwrights of Western NY. It will be for the museum where we hold our meetings. I will probably do most of the postings but others who are members on MSW may also do so. My question is " It's not really just by me, it is a group build by a subset of our members. What is proper for the 'BY' in the title?"

Joe

Joe, the only thing to be aware of is that the Build Log will show as being posted by either yourself or another member of MSW who starts it - i.e. it will be your Profile picture and Username at the head of the Log. It probably won't be an issue, just thought I'd let you know.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

1 hour ago, Thistle17 said:

Something bizzare happening on the PBR Mark 1 blog. Sometimes the title is bold and sometimes not. Any ideas?

Joe

It will be in bold until you open it. When you open the log it reverts back to normal text the next time you open the Scratchbuild Forum unless someone replies to it, in which case it will be bold again. It's a way of telling you that no-one has replied to the log since your last visit.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

• 2 months later...

This might be a dumb question , but... lol I am going to build another 18th century longboat using Model Shipway , instructors and prints but will be doing it all in teak wood . Where should I post my build log ? Kit or scratch 🙈

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

Scratch.  The kit materials are not being used.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Thanks Kurt

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

• 7 months later...

It would be something like "Row Boat by mmd373 - SMALL".    See here for complete info including a heads-up on the spacing:  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 months later...

Hello, i am wondering if this will be the right section, i am planning a build based on a POB kit.

Some parts of the kit will be used (framing, laser-cut stern and false decks as i lack the machinery to cut large parts) but all the Planking, fittings, masts, rigging will be replaced - is this still considered a kit, Semi-Scratch, or even maybe Kit-Bash ?

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

Jacek,

Since we don't have a category for semi-scratch, just place your build log in the category that best describes your project. In this case, it sounds like your model will be mostly scratch, so I would place it in the scratch-built forum.

Regards,

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, Ahoy_there said:

I've just realised my build log title isn't in bold text. How can I change it to bold or am I to late?

It looks like the others to me. It's good.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: