USRC Ranger by trippwj - Corel - 1:64 scale

Hy Wayne,

could you do any progress with your "Ranger"?

Stan -

Thanks for stopping by.  I have put this one back on the shelf for a spell.  I just can't seem to get the hull faired right for the planking to sit flush, so instead of using the axe and chainsaw to correct my goofs I opted to put it safely out of my reach until I can figure out how to fix that which I up-ge-fluggeled (highly technical Homeland Security term meaning messed up badly).

Will be watching yours to get a better idea of how it should be done!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

I'm sending you a PM

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Wayne-  system wouldn't let me send you a PM.  Don't know why.  But here's what I was trying to send:

Are you having trouble getting both edges of the plank to sit flat on the frame (are they tending to lift on the bottom or keel side)? If so, I was having the same problem until I tried that edge bending jig I put in my log.

I'm no expert on this, believe me. The easiest way out is the soaking, pinning to the hull until dry and then gluing. It requires some twisting and patience. It's slow. But what I found with the edge bends is that once you get below the wales some 5-10 planks, you need more then just bending around the bow. You actually need a downward curve to sweep smoothly around the frames.  I know this sounds counter-intuitive as when you look at your plans from the side the planks appear to curve UP.  Fooled me completely.

If you have time, take a look at this:

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/images/docs/MS2262/MS2262-CONFEDERACY-Instructions%20-%20WEB.pdf

It's Chucks comments on planking from the Confederacy practicum.  Planking starts on page 46.  It might help you.  If not, just blow it away. 

Best of luck!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks, Augie - will check that (and your jig) out as possible solutions to my problem.  It is the lower (keel) side of the planks that don't want to lie flush against the bulkhead, so this may be a partial solution. 

Thanks, my friend - will keep you posted!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Wayne,

during the next days I've to help my wife (she fall on the iced pavement with her backbone muscel right on the stone edge  :o ) so I can help to put your Ranger out of the shelf by doing further worknext week - so I hope!

Don't give uop the ship!

My carpetmonster adapted to laminate flooring!

GK - Modellbau No. 2002 a little boat 680 after E.Paris  - PoF 1/50

AL 18021 Scottish Maid the 1st Aberdeen Clipper 1839 - PoB 1/76 (?) 

Dream: a hullmodel of the 66 55/95 tons US-Revenue drop-keel Cutter 1/2"=1ft, plans by H.I.Chapelle

• 11 months later...

Oh wow! All the websites list the Corel's Ranger as 1:50 scale and I see on your plans plain as day they are 1:64.  Makes me wonder if the Mamoli Alert is also 1:64 as it's even smaller at 428mm and it seems many of the European kit scales are lies lies lies.  This is great I wanted a revenue cutter at this scale, Yay!  :D

Edited by CharlieZardoz

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...