HMS Kingfisher by Erik Nyren - 1:40 Swan Class Plank on Frame Lauck Street Shipyards

• 1 month later...

Hello

Treenails, lots of them     :cheers:

I make them from bamboo barbecue sticks using a drawplate from Byrnes Machines.

they are about 0,4mm. The holes are drilled with a pinwise equiped with a archimedes screw

a very neat and useful tool that allows you to press the drill whithout having to turn it

by hand.

I added a picture of my birthdaypresent aswell. A pair of excellent magnifying glases, the glasses can easily be changed between 1,5, 2,5 and 3,5 times magnification.

Erik

post-138-0-65480800-1367152999_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-08662300-1367153008_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-96222300-1367153015_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-11678200-1367153763_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-85703200-1367153794_thumb.jpg

Hi Erik,

Looking good so far :) .

Are you cutting your treenails into small lengths and then inserting each one? That's how it looks to me anyway. I use the full length I've drawn and snip it off flush with small sharp side-cutters and then move on to the next one (brushing a tiny amount of PVA on before inserting the "nail"). No waste, and it works a LOT quicker :) .

It also helps if you use a drill that's slightly larger than the treenail - the glue fills the gap and it's not noticeable at all.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks all

I do the nails in the same manner as you Danny, however I only have a pair of regular wirecutters which unfortunally does not cut that close to the hull. The Makro effect on my cellphone do exaggerate a bit.

I tend to use a bit to much glue though, then again I have a few practiceruns to do  :piratetongueor4:

Regards

Erik

That's a lot of work, but if you see the reslt of the treenailing I think you will be more than happy.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 2 months later...

Hi Erik

beautifull work, I very much admire your build and was also very impressed of the Feature with the treenails (alone the amount of those to be set !!)

When Thinking about this Point on the 1:64 scaled Pegasus I am currenty doing, I did some Trials with hollow injection Needles mounted to soldering tool and carefully burn-sinking the needle into the appropriate woodplank nail places, but had to give up this after many Trials

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Many thanks for your interrest in the build.

The treenails are taking me a LOT of time as I´m working on CC Victory parrallell to the Kingfisher project also I have installed a new floor in my house along with some wallpaper along with other projects. well progress is slow and posting a bunch of pictures of treenails and more treenails and.....makes nos sense thus the next post will be of the nailing finished.

Nils; Interesting experiment but dit the needle not leave burnmarks on the wood? I think you would be better of with a pinwise actually.

Regards

Erik

Erik

thanks for replying,

yes sure, there were micro size burnrings but the remaining "Centerpole" made from the hollow needlecenter, surrounded by the mini burnring, and all flush to the surface was my Intention..... The 0,8mm diam needle only should have burnt in appr. 1/3 of the plank thickness. But as mentioned it all went to the bin...after trying several attemps

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 1 year later...

Hi Erik,

Hopefully you find this. I am also a closet owner of KF. Early in this thread you show some frames on the Byrnes saw tabletop and mention how valuable it was cleaning up the frames and possibly I saw a hawser there. Your frames are so cleanly cut and other than the ends I can't visualize how you used the saw. If you have time, would you please elaborate for me?

Respectfully,

John Maguire

Seattle