HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Chuck - FINISHED - 1:48 scale - kit prototype

And just to round out the images of where I spend 10 - 12 hours per day...

This is the other side of the shop which is in my basement...yes I know it is an absolute bloody mess.  In total its about 25 feet long and 18 feet wide with that little hallway which leads to my kids man cave.

This is my block making station where yesterday I finished up milling 2000 2mm blocks.  Theres a lot of sawdust on the floor....and my shop mascot snuck in the picture.   You can see a drill press behind my hi-tech dust control system...the fan. , Byrnes saw and Sherline mill.

laser9.jpg

This is one half of my rope making station...You can see one half of that cheapo ME ropewalk on the table as well as all of the scraps from making a few thousand feet of rope over the last few days....I WANT TO BELIEVE.

I will be bringing all of that rope making stuff to St Louis to do a demo for the NRg Conference.   I will be showuing how I make 20 - 23 foot lengths of rope on that little Model Shipways rope walk....thats how I make all of it.

laser8.jpg

laser6.jpg

And then looking down the length of my basement and down the 30 foot long hallway to the other end of the rope making station.   This is where I make my rope.  Nothing too terribly exciting.   Alond the wall is my library and a bunch of old models...including the 18th century model that I should really find a better place for.  There is another old Dutch model there too that is crying out for some love and restoration.  I have no idea what it is but looks about 60 - 70 years old.  Maybe.  By God I have to tidy up this place...there is crap all over.  I am embarrassed.

laser7.jpg

There is a topic on the big one....I will take more pics of the others later...I have quite a few old models that need some TLC.   I figure at this rate I will be about 70 years old before I find time to do it.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/6263-dutch-east-indiaman-vlissingen-1747need-help-from-our-dutch-members/

I have to try and accomplish something today.  I am feeling very lazy and yet I have so much to do...I have do something other than watch old reruns of the "rockford files" marathon on TV.

Not to get to off topic...

But just a few...Boy am I lazy today.  I am crapping up my own build log to boot!!!

Great Republic by Boucher...1912

GR9.JPG

GR2.JPG

GR3.JPG

GR4.JPG

GR5.JPG

Unknown...circa 1950-60 maybe...

Some people save stray dogs  I save models that are destined for the dumpster.

unknown.jpg

Unknown Dutch Fishing vessel...Maybe???  Circa 1950ish maybe.  Who knows.

unknown1.jpg

unknown2.jpg

unknown3.jpg

Funny......it weighs about 300 pounds...But I am in the shop every day...Feel free to stop by anytime.  Many folks visit the shop all the time and stop me from talking to my dog like a crazy man all day.

What's worse is when the dog tells us we're crazy.  (Which of course we all are.)

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Hi Chuck.

That's a tidy workshop that's full of interesting bits ... Not Crap.

I wish I has access to a large work area like yours. I bet more than 80% of the modellers here would like the space :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Thank you...yes I am very lucky and fortunate to have a large shop...I dont know how I could work down there for so long if it wasnt as large.

Anyway..

I actually started gluing up the bulkhead former.  It was in two pieces as you saw earlier.  Then I added the rabbet strip which was 1/8" x 1/16" in size.  It went all along the bottom of the bulkhead former and up the stern post.  Because the former was 1/4" thick this left a nice rabbet when everything was all together.  I tapered the bulkhead former at the stern from the bearding line to the rabbet strip.  I used a combination of chisels and sand paper.

pictyure 002.jpg

Once completed,  I cut the pieces that would make up the stem.  I decided to just use boxwood.  To keep it in the proper thickness the thickness for the keel and stem needed to be 7/32".   I could have just used a 1/4" thick piece because after sanding it would eventually be the right size.   But I started with a 7/32" sheet.  The pieces were glued together and pencil was used to make the seams show up better.  It does a nice job of simulating the tar par and caulking and such.

stem1.jpg

You can see that I added all of the pieces except for the stern post.  I like to leave this off until the hull is planked as I did with my other builds.  I did cut them all out though.  These are the only pieces including the rudder that will be this thick so I went ahead and cut them all.  I will set them aside for later.

stemon1.jpg

You will also notice the five holes in the stem for the deadeye  halliard.  This is for the main stay.  I added the grooves above each hole at the appropriate angle so the halliard will lay correctly when rigged.  I still have to add the treenails through the keel and stem pieces.  Maybe later this evening.

keelstem.jpg

Very nice. The machinery as well as the progress!

Do you laser cut the keel/stem/stern pieces as well?

Another question: Will you being providing the DXF files as a part of the plans package?

Thanks.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Chuck, tidiness is a relative term, your place looks like a surgery compared to mine at the moment.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks...

The shop will hopefully be cleaned after I get back from St Louis.   

Alistair,  I wont be distributing the DXF files.  That would just make it to easy for folks to duplicate everything and pirate the plans.  The plans will be sold in paper format only,  rolled and mailed in a tube.   As far as the laser cut parts go...I really want this to be a scratch project for folks and I dont see myself getting in the kit business.  As we were talking about earlier...Maybe the bulkheads but thats it think.   But who knows,  we shall see,  I hate to close the door on it all together.

I am however using the laser for most pieces of the prototype.  Its quicker and I consider it just another tool like a scroll saw.  Plus,  after what I paid for the laser, I might as well use it whenever I can. Having said that,   these pieces are easy enough to cut with a scroll saw.  Its a really basic design and a simple single masted cutter.  Its the perfect starter project for a first time scratch builder.  I have tried to keep it as accurate as possible and as you will see with the square tuck at the stern,  its the first POB cutter project that will show it correctly modeled.

So basically...the plans and a few other laser cut pieces will be made available but not a full kit.  No electronic files either.  Other than the monograph which will be free.  I think folks will enjoy building it.  I hope.

The treenails on the stem and keel are all done.  Tomorrow I will glue in the bulkheads and start on the gunport framing and bow fillers.

stemtreenailed.jpg

Since there is nothing on the tube tonight I went ahead and glued the bulkheads into position.   This was something I wanted to do quickly so I get get a sense of the overall shape of this cutter.   I will start framing the gunports tomorrow.  You will notice the 2nd bulkhead at the bow has no extensions.  They wont be needed because the forward-most port will be framed there.  No warping which is great....straight as an arrow.  :)

bulkheadson.jpg

bulkheadson1.jpg

I also wanted to post some photos of the Rogers collection model.  I should have done so earlier on in this log.  It is identified as Cheerful but after much scrutiny it is not.  At least in my opinion.  The measurements on deck match but thats about it.  There are too many stunning discrepancies when compared to the original drafts.  But its very close.  It is a cutter of the same period and for research its very valuable.

The rigging is quite odd as well.  Nothing I have ever seen on a cutter of this period.  It is interesting to note that until recently this model was identified as an unknown cutter circa 1770's.  I am not sure who actually mis-identified it as Cheerful but it has changed at least three times in literature that refers to the Rogers collection.

Its a great model non-the-less.  What I was glad to see was it is not Clinker planked.    One of the reasons I chose this subject.  I also have many photos of the square tuck...note the vertical planking back there as opposed to the usual diagonal.   This is a detail that is also shown on the original draft.  Also note the gunnades on deck.  These are the carronades on carriages rather than sleds.   This model does not have long twelves at the bow which Cheerful did have.  Instead it has more gunnades.  Also note such peculiar things such as the aft most shroud being served but the fore shroud is not.  Go figure.

Any question and I would be glad to try and answer them.  I have tons of photos.   I also have some photos of the only sister....in this class,  Surly.  This is another contemporary model in a Canadian museum.  It shows this class after a major refit.  One that Cheerful never had because it had such a short life.

Chuck

cheer6.jpg

cheer1.jpg

cheer2.jpg

cheer3.jpg

cheer4.jpg

cheer5.jpg

I think the fore most shroud would do the most damage.   Its a mystery.  There are other cutters I have examined and its usually both the fore shroud and the aft shroud or none of them.  I have never seen just the aft one served.

The way the stay is rigged with two deadeyes....plain with three holes is also a curious detail I have not seen before.  I am going with the more tradition rig.  Based on the Surly in the other museum.

106269.a-594.jpg

Chuck

Chuck,

Has the one in Roger's collection been restored?  Is this something that might have done wrong?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Chuck

Hear what you are saying about the DXF files. I sort of expected your sensible reply.

I'll continue to follow and be a customer for Cheerful when she's ready to ship in whatever package. It is a fine little ship and I can see it being a great introduction for me into scratch modelling. Hopefully it may turn into a group build as well!? Looks like a scroll saw is on my buy list as well - luckily my wife doesn't read these posts!!!!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi Chuck.

Making some real progress with this build.

I must start my build log on my Cutter.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Thank you, Chuck, for answering even basic questions; that’s very generous (and helpful).

For all of you who would like to work with a laser cutter: Search for universities with an open lab policy. In Switzerland, where I live, and in Germany they are called Fablab; there are a lot of them open to the public, and there you can work with their machines, often under supervision.

I was twice at our local fablab already, once to laser parts for gun carriages (made after Chuck’s design), and once to cut bulkheads for my next project. No scroll saw and no sawdust in our apartment, but it’s good for the plywood parts to wait outside a few days to loose the smell of burnt wood and glue.

I will follow this project closely, because I dream of building a bigger and more detailed cutter than my small Sherbourne one day.

Cheers,

Gregor

Current build: French schooners La Topaze and La Mutine (Jacinthe class 1823)

Complete: Chaloupe armée en guerre 1834

Complete: HM Cutter Sherbourne 

Hi chuck

Looking good....as usual! Guess I'm going to have to wait a little longer for the plans but looking forward to your practicum on the rest of the hull build. Don't have access to a laser cutter or scroll saw so will be cutting the frames by hand! I plan to build j boudroits le cerf 1779-80 at some point which is clinker planked and French, so a carvel planked English cutter should be an interesting contrast.

Cheers....mick

Chuck,

I am really enjoying your build and would love to make this vessel at a later date.

As a rule of thumb the tidier the work space the less work in progress!

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

The more I read of this project and the closer I get to completing my current build, the more impatient and excited I am about doing my first scratch build and a build I will try to complete as accurately as I possibly can :) :) :)  From what I am guessing my boat should be finished around the time Chuck releases the plans.

A bit like trying to sleep on Christmas eve LOL!!!! 

Ian :)

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

"Then I added the rabbet strip which was 1/8" x 1/16" in size. It went all along the bottom of the bulkhead former and up the stern post. Because the former was 1/4" thick this left a nice rabbet when everything was all together."

I've been tapering the bulkhead former to form the rabbet.  Adding a strip sounds easier.  Thanks.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray