HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Chuck - FINISHED - 1:48 scale - kit prototype

Thank you gentlemen...

I took a break from framing because I wanted to work on the windlass.  Its 3 1/2" long. I have had the design concept in my brain for over a year and I wanted to see if it would work.  I think it came out really well.  The design is much like the lantern.  You build the windlass drum in sections and slide them onto a 1/16" x 1/16" strip.  There are 65 pieces in this windlass.   All laser cut.  Its a perfect match to the plans.  The hardest part (which isnt very hard at all)  is to bevel the edges of each face of the drum.  This is so they fit tightly together.   Once you get the angle down,  it goes quickly and without incident.   You have to bevel the edges without over doing it because you will lose the original shape of each precision cut piece.  The laser char on the edge actually help out a lot.  You need to bevel the edge until the laser char is all gone and resist beveling further.  

I was worried about this ever since I saw the model in the Rogers collection.  Yes, you could shape the windless drum from one piece and carve the sprockets by hand...but that is a real challenge.  I have seen what David Antscherl did for his Comet model and it scared me to death ever since.  Knowing that others will ultimately build this model I needed to put my kit designer hat on.  This windlass is a MAJOR deck fitting and can make or break a model of a cutter if it isnt done well enough.

Ultimately,  this windlass will be painted all red but I am not sure yet.  Its usually shown that way on contemporary models.  If I decide to leave it natural boxwood I will paint the ends of the drum so you cant see the construction method.  If its painted carefully to look like wood, it will look like a solid piece.  This is still not glued together.  The individual segments are just slid onto the stick.  I just have to snip the ends of teh stick off and sand them down after the segments are glued together. Silly me, I got so into making it, that I didnt take any construction photos.

That means I will have to build another one at some point.  Lucky me.  :)

Now to take my daughter to the movies and sit with her and about 7 other 14 year old noisy girls.  Lucky me again!!! :(

windless.jpg

windless1.jpg

windless2.jpg

windless3.jpg

Hi Chuck.

WOW that's one nice Windlass.

That's one of my things I have yet to overcome with my cutter.

Taking the girls out to the cinema . It's what a dad does :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Just found this log and you are certainly zipping right along.  Love the thicker bulkheads ...... and the windlass as well.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Enjoy the movie, Dad: your optic receptors for pink and purple will probably burn out....

That is an ingenious solution to making a windlass. Well done! However, are the bar holes on all octagonal faces or should they be only on alternate ones?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

That windlass is one sweet little kit. Just all too tempting while I watch the NZ$ plummet against the US$ :(.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks guys...

Druxey...Like you, I thought that was true.   Holes on every other face of the windlass.  However,  I kept seeing more and more of these that showed them on all sides.  I may switch it later...but I am torn.  Do you have have any info on these that would clarify.  Other than contemporary models....few even show the holes at all,  I could only find secondary sources.  For example,  The AOS for the Cutter Alert has an almost identical windlass with holes on all eight faces of the windless.   Go figure.  Its easy enough to change,  just need to find something definitive.  Any help would be appreciated.

You can see that Roger Cole also added the holes on every face of his windlass on his model of Alert below.

ColeAlert11.jpg

Chuck

I am definitely going to be following this build.

I started my current build, an 1815 American cutter, when I was in England so it seems appropriate to make my second build a 1806 British cutter now I'm in the US. A POB model would be a good first scratch build, although having the bulkheads pre-cut would be nice. The scale at 1:48 works as well (it's close enough to my 1:50 build).

I won't be finished with my cutter until next year, so the timing is right.

I have also been building a mental list of power tools to buy when I retire, so now I've added a laser cutter (I'm sure my wife won't mind). ;)

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Deck plans of Revenue cutters I've looked at show (where bar holes are indicated at all) that these are on every other face. If you think about it, it makes sense. Holes in every face would weaken the windlass when strain was placed against one side of the hole and there was little wood between it and the next hole. The few models where photos show the windlass: the same applies. However, it's your call, Chuck.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Really wonderful windlass. This is one very tricky part and you make to look it so easy.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Seeing as I have to make another windlass anyway...I will alter the plans to show the bar holes on every other face.  Its an easy fix.  I can see that it would make sense...or to alternate their position should they appear on every face like shown on John;'s example he posted above.  Dont y0u wish making changes in real life was as easy as having Photoshop.

Heres what she looks like with every other...piece of cake... :)

windless1.jpg

Very nice Chuck.

Caldercraft would have you knock up the windlass on the Granado kit in a similar way, but the parts don't fit nearly as well...

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Hi Chuck

I just did my first walk through of this build. I have set it to "follow" and will enjoy the ride. Thanks for all the detail.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

I also just found this build and am totally impressed.  I think this model, when ready, will be a good way to get into scratch builds.

I also agree with Alistair that a scroll saw would be a good investment.  Can you recommend a brand/model?

Thanks.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Hi chuck!

Thanks very much for the pics about your laser cut machine and for the walk around your basement... trully a cave, a big one, should say. Mine is about 3x2m2...

By God I have to tidy up this place...there is crap all over.  I am embarrassed.

That made me smile. Even my 6 square meters are as messy as yours. Tidy tidy tidy guess we are always tiding up our small or big shop. Ain´t no need to be embarrassed.

Good luck and happy modelling!

Daniel.

Edited by harvey1847

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chuck,

I found this log a couple of days ago and read through it and love what you are doing. But that's a given anyways.

If you keep this up I'm gonna have to sell the couple of kits I still have on the shelf. :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Chuck:  I was thinking about your comment on 1/4" plywood and where to find it.  I have used Rockler and Woodcraft in the wood industry for modelers.

Then there are the houses around that sell plywood for the scroll saw people, as I have delved into scroll saw work also. Just a suggestion.  Cheers, Bill Palmer

all this scratch building has opened a whole new world to me, lovely work chuck

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

So what are the chances of getting a wood list ready for this before Jeff at HobbyMill goes onto bigger and better things? And then persuading my wife that yes, I do need the wood now.  :)

Either way, I'm really looking forward to following this build.

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

You are the second person to ask me that....

The problem is that it would only be an estimate.  I wont know for sure until I actually build it.  I usually keep track of what I use and then add just a bit more to make the materials list.

So far I only have one 48" x 48" sheet of ply that is 1/4" thick and one 3" wide sheet of boxwood or whatever you prefer to use for teh keel and stem and rudder.  It should be 7/32" thick.

Other than that I haveent got a clue.  I would be afraid that after examining the plans carefully I might forget something....so keeping track as I work is usually foolproof.  But maybe I will give it a try this weekend.  But like I said...I may overlook something.  It will be real close though.

Thanks for the interest in the project.  If all goes according to plan the 3 sheets will be released around the new year but February at the latest.   I basically just want to plank it outboard to prove the hull design.    I also want to write the first few chapters so folks will have a guide.

Chuck

Chuck, took a look at this thread, very nice. This is going to be a winner! I don't know if you are still looking but I have used Nationalbalsa.com for ply in my R/C planes and it is very nice, I think the 1/4" stuff is 7 ply (birch) it is a bit spendy I think $12.75 for a 12x48 sheet but it has always been straight and the edges sand really well without splintering. I think you can get free shipping on larger orders and if you call them vs. Online order you mightbe able to get them to hand pick the nice stuff :) just a thought.... Balsa USA is another great resource.... At any rate I will be inline for this build whenit's ready..... Very nice windlass btw.... Much better than the one I scratched for my Harvey - is it going to be part of your inventory?

Edited by ASAT

Yes indeed it will Lou.  Thanks for the kind words.   Yes I plan on using National balsa when the time comes.   I have used them a lot in the past and they are my go to source.  The last batch of ply I got from them was awful though so I will have to call them first and make sure I get the good stuff.

It is so great see you back on the site.  I am literally working on her as we speak.

Chuck

Today I wanted to get the crappy part out of the way.  What a mess.  Fairing the outside of the hull before  I start putting in the port sills.

Lots  of saw dust.  You folks are very familiar with this.  Even with a smaller hull it took the whole day.  This is the single most important part of the project.  Unfortunately because its such a pain its easy to understand why people rush through it only to have issues later on.

At the bow is the usual "Bow filler piece"  and a few horizontal pieces which is where the forward port will reside.  Fairing the bow was challenging.  Whenever you think its done...its really not.  This is easy to spot using a batten.  I dont angle my rabbet for the planking until this stage.  And its important.  Most folks angle the rabbet before gluing the bulkheads into the former.  But I can never get the angles right.  Its easier for me to visualize when fairing the bow and inserting battens every now and again to see how they fit.

Before fairing

bowfiller.jpg

After a good start at fairing the bow.  Notice how the bulkhead former within the rabbet is faired to match the angle of the bow filler after its faired.  If you dont do this then the plank wont fit nicely into the rabbet and defeats the purpose of having one to begin with.  This is what takes lots of time.  Small chisels nd sanding sticks...the usual suspects to do it.  I am using the laser char on the bulkhead edges to check how the fairing is progressing as I work towards mid ship.  Then I switch around and work from the stern to midship again to complete the fairing.

bowfairing1.jpg

bowfairing.jpg

Here are some battens added to check the run of the port sills.  There are laser reference marks on each bulkhead as is usually the case.  After some careful adjustments the top of the batten was marked off on each bulkhead edge to indicate the top of the port sills.  Notice how the batten fits into the rabbet and because of how its faired,  I didnt have to even pre bend this strip.  It lays in there perfectly and no pins are used to hold it in the rabbet.  That will make planking so much easier.....which would have been a fight if I didnt take my time with this fairing.  I am gald its all done,  but I can still see some spots... :(

portsillbatten.jpg

portsillbatten1.jpg

portsillbatten2.jpg

Tomorrow I will add the port sills and port framing before starting on the stern framing.