Oseberg by Vivian Galad - Amati - 1:50 - modified kit

Sorry to hear about your planking issues Vivian.

I encountered the same issue with my Bounty Launch (had to remove and redo 3).  I finally figured out it was caused by two problems (both my fault) - haste/hurrying and improper clamping.

Glad to hear you got it solved.

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, almost 2 years since I´ve put something in here regarding my Oseberg. I´ve replanked it from the start and am now at my 8th row on the left side. Picture is not that fair, since I have no more good cams available, so, I ask u to considerate that - promise will get one as soon as I can.

post-8919-0-66402500-1476641463_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vivian Galad

Nice to see you back Vivian, the Oseberg is looking good

I have the kit and I think it may well be my next build so I will be interested in your progress - hope you don't mind my watching.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

It's great seeing you back and building.  I hope all is well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank u, guys. Be my guest, Mike. I´ll try to post more frequently, since I began this one 2 years ago.

Mark, everything is fine, better now.

Carl, it´s great to be back! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you would be interested but I have just been checking out the contents of my box ! Unlike your kit (same maker) The oars are not plastic but have to be made. The dragon head on the front is made up of 5 pieces of cast brittania metal and the shields are cast in a bronze coloured metal material. So, it's a bit different and I can't make my mind up whether to start it yet or not!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Hi Vivian,

Happy to know you are well.  Your Oseberg is looking great.  I have been away for a while myself, I got busy with consulting work.

Look forward to your updates.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

• 2 weeks later...

Sam, thanks. Even if I get some troubles, the show must go on!

Hans, life has that con of being in our way when we want to just live in peace. Ty.

Mike. I began building my oars. I´ll have to find some wood, since those scraps I have won´t be enough to make 28 of them. Since the Oseberg had no dragon head, it would be strange to finish the ship with it, so, that is still something I´m trying to figure out. My shields are metal cast and, well, don´t like them that way - so, I´ll craft them too. Since I do like to mod my kits, that isn´t a problem at all - I feell chalenged, indeed. Hope to see you along with yours ;)

Jack, all these time I was alway from building just spiced my hunger. We get that bug "have to build" and, well, the ship has to be made! Thank you, always.

As for the ship, well, I still need a cam to get some better pictures.

Had a setback, though - When I fixed the last planks I perceived too many flaws. In leaning them planks, many gaps appeared and when I tried to glue them back, new ones came out.

Problem is I didnt want to follow the manual and that cost me dearly. So, I´ll replank from the 5th plank on, all again, now following a particular I took for nothing, but makes the difference in the end.

Oars are being made, thinking on sewing the sail, already, since planking is getting so many hours of my work on her.

That´s it for now. :rolleyes:

So glad to see you back, my dear. Remember that no matter how little you work on your ship, if you do it everyday, you will eventually finish it.

Best wishes!!!

Edit: Just caressing it doesn't count as work. :)  ;)  :P  

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 2 months later...

We must be kindred spirits !!  I bought the Red Dragon as well just before Christmas for a good price on ebay.

Anyway, my question relates to Oseberg. Did you mark guidelines on your false keel before you started planking. The instructions in Spanish or something indicate that it should be done but who knows ? I thought you might ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

• 3 months later...
On 1/30/2017 at 2:20 PM, Mike Dowling said:

We must be kindred spirits !!  I bought the Red Dragon as well just before Christmas for a good price on ebay.

Anyway, my question relates to Oseberg. Did you mark guidelines on your false keel before you started planking. The instructions in Spanish or something indicate that it should be done but who knows ? I thought you might ?

Mike, nice buy, the Red Dragon. It´s a great model to build. As to the question, I haven´t. But my problems are greater now regarding my ship.

Long story short - I have a cat called Kyra who just killed the planking of the Oseberg. I found my ship at the ground all eaten, with lots of chewed planks all over the place - now I´m looking for replacements for it. As I won´t be rushing things, I put the project on hold for just a little bit. Meanwhile, I´m starting a new one which will soon be on the lists.

A little update:

At the start of the build I thought about changing the wood for the hull planking, but decided to go on with the planks that came with the kit. They came like on the image below:

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.8b0332692989813ae5d8700ea97cd78b.jpg

Well, Happens my cat really destroyed great part of that stripes and all I have of them comes from the plan - I would have to bu a foil, cut the paper, glue to the foil and remake the stripes. But then I came with that old idea of changing the wood - change the planking type. After seeing some pictures and watching some videos - this one is great - 

I´ll definitely change the planking on the hull too. I ordered wood to plank the deck, so I´ll order some more to the hull - different types of wood, as for the deck I got a light wood. Thinking on getting a darker and stronger one for the hull (pink cedar).