Waterline Dioramas: A Modelbuilder's Artform by Justin Camarata

Waterline Dioramas: A Modelbuilder's Artform by Justin Camarata, published 2009 by SeaWatch Books. ISBN 978-0-9820579-2-6

This book isn't going to teach you how to build a model ship. However, if you're familiar with ship modeling, and want to build something more than just another static model, this book can show you how to make your model come to life by modeling your ship in its elements: the wind and the sea. While most books on modeling focus on how a ship was built, this one focuses on how it was sailed.

There is a chapter on building waterline hulls, and how to properly position them on the base, as well as a chapter on rigging with wire-- necessary if one wants to show a ship in very dynamic conditions. These chapters both present information on building methods that may be new to many ship modelers. Where the book truly shines, however is in the chapters on modeling sails and waves. Much information is provided on how sails work and how they look in action, and what materials and methods the modeler might use to make realistic, dynamic sails for his or her model. Wave formation by wind and by the hull moving through the water is examined in some detail, as are materials and methods the modeler might employ to create a realistic looking sea with wave action appropriate to the situation the modeler is attempting to depict, whether a sailing ship or a powered vessel.

Since a ship is operated by a crew, there is a chapter devoted to creating realistic scale figures to man one's ship. Also included is a chapter on displaying and photographing the finished model. And finally, for inspiration, there is a wonderful color gallery of waterline dioramas by such noted modelers as Donald McNarry, Erik Ronnberg, Jr., Philip Reed, and Lloyd McCaffery, which includes both sail and power models.

This large format, well put together volume may not be for everyone, but for the modeler who is looking to expand his or her modeling skills and challenges, it is certainly worth a look.

Mike

In progress: nothing
Completed:
Midwest Chesapeake Bay flattie
scratchbuilt Grand Banks dory

Young Modeler 1:100 turtle ship

This was the morning when father, mending one hole in the thermos-flask, made three

--Dylan Thomas

• 4 months later...

It is on my book list.  Seawatch has some of the best books available.  I have 2 from them.

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

• 3 years later...

I received this book from my wonderful wife today on my 77th birthday. What a beautiful piece of work. Justin Camarata is

a long time member of our club, The Connecticut Marine Model Society. I've seen some of his preliminary work leading up to

the final results pictured in this book. The tutorials on making water are of particular interest to me.

John Elwood

Even if one is not 'into' making dioramas, this is an inspirational volume to look through from time to time. Beautifully photographed and described.

Oh, many happy returns and wishing you a healthy, happy year ahead, Mr. Elwood!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I started reading it, and am about a third of the way through.  It's a very interesting book, I'd highly recommend it.  It goes into a lot of aspects of ship dioramas, including sail construction and shape, making realistic looking sea, etc.  Not sure that I'll ever do a diorama, but it's given me some things to think about when it comes to building my models.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 4 years later...

Check at bookfinders.com.   For used books it's the place I always start.  In this case there's one listing for $70.00 which isn't hugely below the Amazon price but $39 is $39.  

Bob

current build                               past builds

Mayflower - Model Shipways - 1:76.8                              USS Peary (DD 226) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:96 (gallery)

upcoming builds                                                                     USS DeHaven (DD 727) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:192

Statenjacht - Kolderstok - 1:50                                            USS Robert E. Peary (FF 1073) - 1:250

Fluytschip - Kolderstok - 1:72   

Sorry, I mistyped:  Check at bookfinder.com.   

Bob

current build                               past builds

Mayflower - Model Shipways - 1:76.8                              USS Peary (DD 226) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:96 (gallery)

upcoming builds                                                                     USS DeHaven (DD 727) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:192

Statenjacht - Kolderstok - 1:50                                            USS Robert E. Peary (FF 1073) - 1:250

Fluytschip - Kolderstok - 1:72   

• 1 year later...

I have a “like new” copy of Justin Camerata’s “Waterline Dioramas” book, and would be willing to sell it for $70 to someone within the United States.  I will accept a money order only (no checks, cash, credit card, or PayPal) and the buyer will pay for postage.  I will ship it from Maine to a buyer within the US via the USPS at the standard book rate.  Please contact me by Personal Message if you are interested.

james

Maine

Past projects:  Galway hooker; Durham boat; Mayflower shallop; Irish seagoing currach; James Caird; Cornish fishing lugger; Pitcairn Island longboat; Bounty launch.