Blocks fitted under the mast's top

Hi All,

I am starting the rigging for a 3 masted square rigged English ship from around 1800.

In have looked in a few books and other internet ressources about the subject, but I cannot figure out how the blocks that are fitted under the masts' tops are called, how many of them are there and what are they used for. 

Can anyone help?

Hi Dancat,

The blocks you refer to are the lead blocks for the Buntlines and Leechlines. The configuration can vary slightly from ship to ship but there were usually two pair each side  one pair forward and one pair to the rear. The strops of these blocks passed thro' holes in the top and were secured by toggles.

B.E.

Thank You very much for the answer B. E. Now that I knew the right terms to ask Google is returning very useful images and I should be able to continue. I sort of misread in one book and I was looking for girt-lines ... :)

I am trying to figure out now all the blocks that have to be fitted on the mast before attaching the mast on the ship with the shroud and deadeyes.

Edited by dancat

Sounds like you could do with a good book on masting and rigging,what ship are you modelling?

One on line reference you may find of use is this.

http://hnsa.org/doc/steel/index.htm

This is the contemporary work by Steel on the subject of masting and rigging,  which is the basis of most of the modern works on the subject.

Cheers,

B.E.

Thank you, I was looking on it right now.  It is my first attempt so I am a bit confused right now. The safest thing seems to take some while, research the subject a bit and then when I have a better understanding of what I am dealing with to 'make a plan' and do it. 

For

clear descriptions on these kinds of  rigging details  found on a British ship and then actually doing it on a model,  seriously consider, Lees' Masting and Rigging and David Antscherl's The Fully Framed Model Volume IV.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks a lot to everyone for all the information. I have read most of the things I could find on the internet about the subject (this also included some reviews about the suggested books). Now all it is left is start doing it B)