First attempt at planking - need advice

Greetings to all from northern NSW

In 2006, I commenced building the Artesania Latina H. M. S. Endeavour before work, family and moving house interfered.

Eight years later, I'd like to continue. This is my first build.

Looking at the model, I think the decking is OK but the planking needs attention before continuing.

Photos are attached for your scrutiny! :)

I would imagine experienced modelers would probably say the first planking isn't too bad but the flaring of the bulkheads wasn't done well.

They might also say that the second planking is totally wrong.

The reason for this post is to seek a little advice if the following thinking is incorrect.

I'm thinking about removing the second planking entirely.

After that, using filler to better round out the bulkhead issues and then to do do the second planking.  To avoid repeating the same mistakes I have downloaded well written planking guides and am rereading Mastini's Ship Modelling Simplified book as well as consulting relevent posts on this forum.

If this thinking is wrong or if there is a better way, I'd appreciate any advice that members may give.

Thanking you

Graham

post-15116-0-00013200-1416264316_thumb.jpg

post-15116-0-30697700-1416264328_thumb.jpg

post-15116-0-63804600-1416264340_thumb.jpg

post-15116-0-70145200-1416264350_thumb.jpg

post-15116-0-23641800-1416264361_thumb.jpg

Graham,

Since the planking is obviously bugging you, do what we advise everyone:  redo it, or it will bug you forever.  :)   I think we all have done or are doing our share of do-overs.  You've got some excellent information, so I'd suggest open a build log from this point on (if you haven't already opened one), as it will be the best way to get help and encouragement.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

g'day Graham, as druxey said there are many great tutees on this site and Mark makes valid points as well. search this site for build logs on your particular model - these can be invaluable. whilst i love this site don't limit yourself to it. google your model name, scale and "build log" and you never know what may come up. there is a fantastic site very similar to this in russia - www.shipmodeling.ru - will get you there. it is moderated by roman roganov who is also a member here. like this site there are many members, mostly from russia though although i'm one and as you can see i'm an aussie. use google chrome to translate the page into english if your russian is a little scratchy :huh: roman is a very helpful guy and i contact him regulary and he always has great insights and advice. see his bounty log here. other sites are modelbrouwers.nl in the netherlands and modellismo.net which is an italian forum. you will find many cross post logs across these sites but i find the logs are more expansive in both pics and text in the native tongue. again view these in chrome for a pretty good english translation. good luck, great to have you aboard :)

cheers chris

Make things easier for yourself.  If you planking is smooth and symmetrical, use that as a base and replank using 0.5 strips.  They will be flexible and you will not have to use nails to hold them to the hull.  Before doing this make sure your base is the look you like.  Think solid hull approach.

David B

Thank you very much for your kind and willing advice everyone.

Looks like I have lots or reading and thinking to do, some plank undoing, a little plank resupply ordering and another go at doing things properly.

Mind you, taking time and doing things properly in the first place would have helped avoid this.

And yes, I will begin a build log shortly. Great idea.

Thank you again

Graham

Greetings Graham,

You would be surprised at how much you have learned just from doing the first planking job. Tutorials are fine and I would agree that you would learn from studying one or two. However, you learn by doing - not by reading about how someone else thinks it should be done. Use them as a guide to learn some of the finer points, but don't get bogged down.

Relative to your present model, she's not bad at all for a first go. I think she can be saved and I would not strip off the planks and start over. You might consider planking her over with thin stock but, in my opinion, I don't think it is necessary. Assuming the existing planks are glued on as well as nailed, I would remove the nails which will allow you to sand the hull to achieve a smoother finish. The nail holes will fill in automatically with sanding, or you can fill them with putty. I would simply fill the hole on the port bow with a shaped sliver of wood that you can glue in. After repairs are made, a good overall sanding will do wonders to fair the hull. If still not satisfied, paint the hull. Good luck.

wq3296

It looks like a pretty credible planking job for a first timer. Planking is one of the hardest things to do on a model. The best advise I got was from an old hand who said "....treat each plank as if it's its own model."  With a little filler yours will look just fine. You could also cover the first layer with a veneer. Don't forget...when your ship is finished only you will be looking at the bottom. All eyes will go to the deck and rigging. 

I agree with Rich, it's good job. You put a lot of work into your model so I would plug the open seams with wood putty, sand it down a little and then move on, it will look just fine. In time it will become a conversation piece not because of the planking but because of your attention to the rigging, sails, deck fittings. Of course you could always paint it, paint hide a multitude of sins :)

Current project: Retired

www.howefamily.com

Thank you everyone

I'm not worried about the hole. It's more about the shape of the hull and trying to get the second planking closer to what it should be.

I agree with you all even though there is a little conflicting advice there :-) but that is very understandable when there are so many experienced people willing to give unbiased advice.

Armed with your advice, I'm going to weigh your kind advice, procrastinate for a day or two and then do something and pop that in a new build log.

Thank you again

Graham

Edited by bago100

• 3 weeks later...

Gooday Graham. What I advise you to doo is to buy some wood putty and smooth and sand back your second coat. Then cut each strip to 111mm in lenght and put these smaller strips o as your final layer. Use o.5mm x 5mm strips and use a lead pencil to go around each edge to simulate corcking.

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

I'm going to correct Greg slightly.  Get "filler" not "putty".  Filler can be sanded and stained usually and it dries hard.  Putty usually doesn't stay hard as it's for filling old screw holes and the like.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Graham

You picked a tough one to start on!! I have the Caldercraft Endeavour on the shelf but won't start her till I have finished the Supply & the Bounty.  I was recently aboard the Endeavour Replica when it visited Newcastle Harbour. While others were taking `selfies,' I was taking about 150 snaps of bolts, ropes, window frames and the like!! I think people thought me mad!! I've included a pic of the replica's bow. It may help your build. If you need any other pics along the way (I photographed pretty much everything) PM me.

post-1505-0-07332600-1418418691_thumb.jpg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Gooday Mtaylor. When I said putty, I mean colour putty from Bunnings. This can be sanded down and the colour match is quite good.

Cheers Greg and thanks for your input.

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Not bad for a first attempt at what is generally acknowledged as a fairly difficult model to plank, Especially the bows! However if you still have to add the wales, maybe 4 @ 4mm x .5mm strips, plus the upper wales  etc., they will cover some of the hull. Fill any gaps in the area below the waterline with wood filler, then paint below the waterline off white, or brown.  There is an area at the top of the hull painted blue,plus rubbing strakes, steps,etc, before you know it most of the hull will be covered one way or another, so don't worry too much it will be fine ! All the best, Geoff

Edited by geoff