HMS Warrior by jbwok - Billing Boats - 1:100 - started October 2014

post-16334-0-55844600-1416303975_thumb.jpg

I've never tried a build log before, so please forgive any protocol violations: I'll learn as I go along!

I'm not a particularly good modeller, but I get a lot of enjoyment from it. I've built a dozen or so wooden boats - highlights are a Thames barge,King of the Mississippi, Louise, the Renown boat, Bremen and a matchstick paddle steamer - so  I just couldn't resist the Warrior.

I've got to the point where I'm about to start planking, learning a lot from StuartC's excellent log elsewhere on this site, but I've found a few more things that might help new buyers. I'll add some pictures where it helps.

1. Fig 1. Reinforce keel joins, taking care not to intrude on hull. I know you're not as clumsy as me, but...

2. Fig 3 and 4 - I assume you have lots of old planking strips in a box or drawer somewhere: try planking and staining parts 88, 89 and 90 as the deck will be visible down the ladders.

3. Fig 6 - I found that sticking small wooden joining tabs along the bottom of parts 25 and 26 were a huge help in lining up and attaching parts 27 and 28. Make sure you don't make them more than a few mm deep.

4. Fig 7. I very strongly recommend buying 'HMS Warrior - Ironclad' by Wynford Davies in the Seaforth Historic Ships series. The photos are very useful given the lack of detail provided by Billings, and there are interesting thing to learn in the text, such as the windows at the stern aren't, as you might expect, the captain's or admiral's cabin but actually dummies hiding the raising propeller and the officers' toilets! While you're buying books 'Warrior - Restoring the World's First Ironclad' by Andrew Lambert is also very useful

5. Fig 9. Although you don't get to the gunports for some time (Fig 22), it is vital that you make a decision at this point what you're going to do about them.

If you're going to have them closed, this is a good time to stick in parts 176 as you can get your fingers round behind them to level them up. If you're going to have them open, you'll want to have something to see behind them, so you have to sort that now before you do the planking. See my next post for details of the guns which were actually used in the ship, though!

I used the scrap wood popped out from the gunport holes in the sides to make the back of 3mm deep boxes (I didn't bother with the top as you won't be able to see it); made up some short gun barrels from 3mm dowel which I shaped slightly, and drilled the boxes on a jig to receive these barrels. 

post-16334-0-54173400-1416303929.jpg

They may not look much in the attached picture (I said I wasn't particularly good) but they look much better sticking out of the sides than leaving a row of holes, and having them set in a box gives a nice impression of depth. Now you need to stick these in place before the planking begins.

I've realised I don't know how to add a post to my own build log!!!

Anyway, the guns. The kit has 19 ports a side, representing the designed main deck armament of 38 68 pounder muzzle loaders. However, before it was launched this was changed to include some 110 pdr breech loaders as per this illustration I have copied from Oscar Parkes 'British Battleships' - I hope I'm not in breach of any copyright here?

The additional weight of these guns meant the number of 68 pdrs was reduced, so the correct launch arrangement, reading from the bow, is therefore 1 closed port; 6 68 pdrs; 4 110 pdrs; 7 68 pdrs; 1 closed port.

Depending on how accurate you want to be, the barrels of the two types of gun are different shapes, the 68 pdr having a reinforced muzzle while the 110 pdr tapers to the end.

That's the format I've gone for, but she was rearmed in 1867 (the 110 pdr was a bit of a disappointment) as per the lower drawing. Note this would start with four closed ports and end with three.

PS (this is why I've never done a build log) - I now find from Lambert's book that the 68 pdrs were actually removed from the first two ports on each side as the ship was found to trim by the head, and the 110 pdrs were carried in the 3rd, 4th, 16th and 17th ports on both sides not counting the first two. As his source is a Midshipman who joined Warrior when she was commissioned it's probably more reliable than Parkes' information; it may of course be the guns had been moved from their designed location after completion.

post-16334-0-17421300-1416305136_thumb.jpg

Edited by jbwok

• 2 months later...

Apologies to anyone excitedly awaiting the next instalment; I regret that ill-health and cold weather have driven me out of the garage, which is the only place big enough to build the Warrior!

As soon as there's improvement (in health or weather) I'll get on with the planking as I seem to have dropped a long way behind StuartC.

• 1 month later...

I'm back, and the planking has begun, albeit indoors. I find with all Billings boats that the instructions are aimed at a higher intelligence level than mine - this even applies to the 'Norden' I have built over the last seven weeks as a form of therapy. 

post-16334-0-57455200-1426069522_thumb.jpg

The Warrior's planking has to be done without a clue from either the massive drawing, which is a blank white space below the waterline, or figure 10 (see below) The bits you want to know - how does it fit to the bow and stern, what happens when you get to the prop well, is there a keel and if so, how thick, are left to your imagination or library.

While I'm moaning, it would have been nice in a kit of this magnitude (and cost) if the hull had been double skinned: I'm looking at the half of the port side of the hull I have done so far and realising that getting it smooth is going to be a long and tricky job. I'll see how it goes before I dare put some pictures up.

Memo to self: don't forget to put the cannon in the starboard side before you plank it! Also, run a spare strip of strong but flexible wood behind the boxes the cannon are mounted in so that if they get bashed they don't fall inside the hull.

post-16334-0-51411700-1426068916_thumb.jpg

Edited by jbwok

jbwok,

Although I'm not a great fan of Billings, Warrior looks an interesting build. It looks like there's a lot of forward thinking to do!

I did wonder if the rather wide spacing between the frames has led to problems when it comes to the planking, especially at the mid point between them, but you seem to have managed.

As to you're being left in the dark, as it were, by the instructions, don't forget the clientele at MSW!

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hi Stockholm tar

Thanks for getting in touch.

The spacing is indeed a problem; the worst section is the one between the 4th and 5th frames from the stern, which are nearly 140mm apart, just at the point where the shape is starting to get very complex. To get round this I'm gluing small strips of thin wood inside the midpoints of the more curved planks to keep the edges aligned, and this tends to mean I have to wait for each one to dry before I do the next one. It's a very slow way of doing things, but I wish I'd done more of it on the side I've already done as there's a bit of sagging between frames which I've going to have to sort out.

You'll see that I've also placed a couple of wooden blocks to strengthen the keel between these frames as the join was otherwise very weak.

Another frame at this point would have been a big help - new builders please note that if I was building the model again I would have put one in.

Jbwok,

140mm is quite a gap, and I rather thought you might have had a problem, both there and in other places. You seem to have thought of an answer but, as you say, additional frames might have been better.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

very nice start  ;)   I was trying to get the plans for this one through my friend Tom @ Billing,  but he's not there any more...so that out the window :(   I'd be pleased to follow your log ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Jbwok,

I've been watching yours and StuartC's build logs having started Warrior myself, having looked at the gap between frames I've started in-filling below the main gundeck between frames with balsa blocks to get past the problems your facing. As I have a way to go and haven't started planking yet it's too early to draw a comparison or if to know it will work. I'll try and get round to a build log over the Easter break so there is another approach to compare. I'm also looking to open up the citadel and rig it with the 68 Pounders and the Armstrong guns, and leave a semi open upper deck so you can see the detail.

One problem I have found is that the kit supplied 110 PDR Armstrong guns are 4mm short at scale when compared to the detailed drawings Lavery has in his book HMS Warrior, so the scale is off. Aesthetically for the 2 upper deck guns I don't think it will matter, but I could come up short in the citadel if I replicate the kit guns as they will hardly protrude through the gun ports.

Gary

Edited by Morgan

Hi Gary, good to hear from you: I wish I'd used balsa blocks from the start as it would have made shaping the planks much easier. As it is I'm getting better at the planking as it as I go along (about 12 to go), so I may end up with a finished product which can only be viewed from the starboard side! 

I like the idea of having the citadel open, and thanks for the hint on the barrel lengths - does the same apply to the 40pdr guns which had the same nominal length of 120 inches as the 100 pdr?

Edited by jbwok

I've been following Stewart's log.......man....I am so green with envy.   I've done quite a few Billing's kits......I've learned how to read between the lines ;)   I like Billing's......I just use the instructions for reference.   both the Warrior and the Titanic are two fine additions to the Billing's line up.......the price tag scares me though.  I'd love to get a copy of the plan.........I'm doing a scratch build right now and using an instruction sheet {s} to do it.......working out pretty good :)

I like the way your doing the planking......pretty neat way!  I agree......looks like quite a span between ribs ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 1 month later...

Nearly five weeks into the sanding/filling, and going mad...

I have painted it with primer to give me an idea of how I was coming along (it was difficult to get an idea from looking at the small patches of wood between the massive swathes of filler) and find I've done a reasonable job on the flat and convex sections, but I'm really struggling at the stern. Every time I try to shape the shaft fairing I create a worse and worse mess! 

Anyone got any useful advice?

post-16334-0-93606600-1429868175_thumb.jpg

post-16334-0-74747100-1429868324_thumb.jpg

a fine planking Job Jbwok,

your HMS Warrior is quite a large ship, and it Looks very good so far....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nearly five weeks into the sanding/filling, and going mad...

I have painted it with primer to give me an idea of how I was coming along (it was difficult to get an idea from looking at the small patches of wood between the massive swathes of filler) and find I've done a reasonable job on the flat and convex sections, but I'm really struggling at the stern. Every time I try to shape the shaft fairing I create a worse and worse mess! 

Anyone got any useful advice?

Hi Jbwok,

When I did that area I used sand paper wrapped around a pencil, that allowed me to flare the shaft area into the main body and generate a straight smooth junction.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Hi Nils - thanks for the encouragement! The way I feel about the planking at the moment is that I'm never going to get it right! Perhaps another couple of hundred hours or so... I just can't wait to have the hull finished so I can start on all the fun bits.

Stuart - I think tomorrow may be given over to preparing a cunning smoothing tool for inside curves which may end up looking VERY LIKE sandpaper wrapped round a pencil!

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to be boring about windows.

First, the pane layout shown in the instructions is wrong; there is only one horizontal piece and two vertical ones in each window. See the page from the wonderful book by Davies and Dennison attached. Second, using pen to draw the lines on the windows is not going to look very good, particularly as some of the windows are actually fake and should have a blank background. So I've rooted in my spare wood drawer for some thin strip and started doing the frames properly.

So basically the whole of Figure 8 is tosh. 

At least it's a break from sanding the hull, which is now about a micron thick and entirely composed of filler.

post-16334-0-66230100-1431625037_thumb.jpg

post-16334-0-48331500-1431625056_thumb.jpg

sounds like they cheaped out on this kit..........on lesser value kits ,  they supplied clear cello that had the window detail already on it.  I do notice though that the stern facia has the pane dividers in the windows......a saving grace?

too bad you have to do the blanks.......I have the 1:100 Gothenborg.  with that kit,  I retooled the stern section,  so there is a room under the deck and you can see through the windows. this one has the clear cello that I spoke of.  hated to let that bit of detail go to waste.  ;)

looking very good so far.....your doing a great job!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I was referring to the part that is lying on the table.   no matter.........your doing a super job on her  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• The title was changed to HMS Warrior by jbwok - Billing Boats - 1:100 - started October 2014