Pete, i have made a couple of log beds out of aspen (Quaking aspen grows like weeds up here in PA) and i was sort of dissapointed with it, it is very easy to machine, but it is softer than basswood, not as soft as balsa, and you really can't get a good finish when sanding it.  Being so soft it does not take a stain or finish well unless you use a sealer. It does have a uniform color however.

Brad

Pete

In "Know Your Woods" by Albert Constantine Jr.

The entry for Quaking Aspen is Populus tremuloides "This aspen shrinks very little and in bending qualities ranks with the best hardwoods."

The entry for Cottonwood,Eastern is Populous deltoides  "This tree is known by several other names including ASPEN, COTTONWOOD, CAROLINA POPLAR, WATER POPLAR, YELLOW COTTONWOOD."

We have three of the species native to Canada on our 20 acres of property. Quaking Aspen, Black Polar, and Balsam Poplar, they are generally short lived and grow fast. I have some 6 inch diameter logs that are free of checks and are at least 7 years old and dry. I have cut some that is re-sawn and stacked as potential future model building wood. It tends to get fluffy when sanded but smooth as silk when planed by hand. The model that I showed in the other thread on polar was in fact Quaking Aspen, we have a tendency to lump them all in together under the same name.

The only way to tell the difference between the different species of polar is by looking at the pore structure in the end grain under a microscope, I am led to believe that the poplar sold commercially is often of mixed species under the common names. This is certainly true of the 50 plus species of White Oak that are sold in North America. White Oak is White Oak right?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Brad and Micheal

Thanks for your reply. So it would seem if care is taken on the way it is finished it should be a descent wood for framing. It is kinda like the basswood--hurry up and it will be sloppy---take you time, pay attention and you can get a nice finish on it.  Think I may give it a try.

Really appreciate it

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Today I re-sawed some of the Trembling Aspen that I cut down in  2006.I originally cut it into some planks in 2008.

the sizes that I cut today were .30" x .075" and .75" x .015", .75" x .020",  .75" x .035" I did not try to cut specific thicknesses but just arbitrarily cut thick and thin slices of the boards and then measured them.

post-202-0-80398300-1362269570.jpg

this picture shows the dry wood the curved piece is the .75" x .020" bent dry it is about a 1.5" radius

post-202-0-47238900-1362269572.jpg

This picture shows the .75 x .015" cut with a pair of scissors

post-202-0-26777400-1362269575.jpg

This picture shows the .30" x .075" bent to about a .75" radius after soaking in cold water for 15 minutes.

post-202-0-28770800-1362269577.jpg

This picture shows .75" x .035" bent round a .25" radius after 15 minutes in cold water

post-202-0-12719800-1362269579.jpg

This picture shows .75" x .015" bent round a .125" dowel after 15 minutes in cold water

post-202-0-68326700-1362269568.jpg

This picture shows .75" x .015" bent round some .75" dowel after 15 minutes in cold water

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

That bends like pure happiness!!!! Wow... What would it take for me to beg some of that from you? I have a friendly paypal account ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Sarah I have sent you a PM.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

I would think that when you are going to build something that takes sometimes 1000's of hours one would use a proven modeling wood! That being said I am always looking for locally grown wood that might be useful in model building!

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

I used Aspen (from Hobby Mill) for the hull and deck planking on my Fair American.  I wanted a white wood (no paint on her) and Jeff at Hobby Mill convinced me it would be whiter than the Holly.  Not sure I would use it for framing!.  Color was the ONLY reason I chose it.

Maury