Straightening Warped parts

Alander

Hi guys

I'm about to begin working on my very first model - Revell's Santa Maria. Upon opening the package I've found bunch on Warped / crooked parts. Some yards (I hope I got the name right) and the deck (partial warp). I believe I can make the deck work, but the yards are pretty bad... Any pointers as to what's the best way for making them straight? Would hot tap water work or is there a better way of bringing them back to their original shape? Thank you in advance.

I think I would just replace them.   Wood will never permanently straighten without secondary resistance to keep it that way.  In the case of the deck you can glue it / nail it, etc but that might lead to other problems down the line.   The yards Im afraid are better off just being replaced.  

Make your own, or in some cases the kit manufacturer will replace parts.

Thanks for the response, this, however is not a wooden model. Sorry, should have mentioned - it's Revell's 1/90 plastic model

Well then sir, I can be of no use to you.    :)     

Ill be curious to see what others with more expertise in plastics have to say.   

Good Luck!  

Try reading this, sounds a bit complicated but makes sense.

http://www.austinsms.org/Straightening-Warped-Plastic-Parts.php

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

there is a trick with plastic parts like yards.  same thing they do with eye glasses to shape the plastic frames to fit a persons face.

They put the plastic in a container of hot sand which makes it pliable.  I've done this LONG ago but you either need one of those warmer pots they use or make your own.  have to keep the sand around 140-160 degrees if I recall right.

hot tap water usually isn't enough and boiling water is too hot.  could maybe do it if you have a food/candy thermometer handy and keep the water around the 140-160 range.

Current Build Log(s):

-Swift Virginia Pilot Boat 1805- Artesania Latina 1985 no sails kit.  My first wooden ship build.

Carrack - Woodkrafter Kits

Completed Build Log(s):

-Pirate Ship- Woodkrafter Kits Ship in a Bottle - First ship in a bottle kit build.

-The Secret Revealed Boat in a Bottle Kit- Authentic Models - Ship In Bottle

On the Shelf to build:

- Build a Ship in a Bottle Kit - Authentic Models

- The Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Products

- Armistad 1832 - Serial Modellbau

- San Gabriele 1497 - Serial Modellbau

- Clara May English Ketch - Artesania Latina

- Santa Maria - Scientific

- Margaretha - Tris Model

- Paranzella - Tris Model

Alander,

I had the same issues with a newer run Santa Maria with the fore and main masts being warped out of true. I attempted to straighten them out with hot water with no luck at all. The plastic was very rubbery and would not straighten out for the life of it.

I then went to the Revell.com site and used the tab for broken or missing parts. I requested replacements for the parts using the online form. It states that if the kit was from Revell Germany then the turn around time would be about a month or more , so I put the Santa Maria on hold and started another kit. In about a month or so, I received the replacements for the warped masts and they were not warped in the least bit. Since that time I have had to order replacements parts on several occasions and have never paid a penny. That is what I call customer service!

So, if you cannot get the warp out I would recommend requesting new parts.

In the case of the deck, I would just use the one you have. Once you have it glued and locked between the hull halves, the warp no longer is an issue. If the yards are a bit warped I would not worry about that too much if the warp has both ends drooping down. These were usually warped due to the weight of the sail and were made from springier wood such as pine, so it actually gives it a realistic look.

When you are ready to rig her, make sure you do not put too much pressure on the masts and yards since this will warp them unnaturally. If you use the sails, I would use a piece of stock styrene between the mast and sail along the bottom edge. This way, the sail actually looks like it is billowing. You must also remember not to pull too hard on the sheet lines (the lines from the bottom corners of the sail rigged aft). This will pull the corners back unnaturally.

I know this goes beyond your original question but I hope it helps.

Steve

Current Build: Merit 1/48 Early Eco 80' PT Boat and Imai 1/50 Catalan Ship

Finished:

Revell 1/196 USS Constitution (My oldest son's school project)
Revell 1/72 Hanse Kogge
Revell 1/50 Viking Ship
Revell 1/72 U-Boat
Zvezda 1/72 English Medieval Ship Thomas

Revell 1/90 The Nina

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestions. The funny part is that I've actually placed an order for the replacement parts about 1/2 hour before reading your response. Based on what what you've said, it looks like I'll be fine. In won't actually even try to straighten the two masts and the yard and will just wait for the replacement parts to arrive. I have also requested the deck, but mentioned, that if they will require me to send the complete kit back to them, to send the masts and the yard only. I've just begun working on the kit and it'll be a while before I get to the rigging. This will be my very first model but looking at all the information gathered from all the great modellers on this (and the finescale) forums, I feel like I know what to do. The results... well, we'll need to wait and see, and it'll definitely take a long while. Btw, your Pinta and Nina models are the ones that actually inspired me to starting with Santa Maria. I wish I could see your completed Santa Maria as well, since I don't believe you've completed posting yor progress on this one. In any case, thanks again for all the great feedback. I love these forums =)

You could always use this as an excuse to venture into scratch building and make the masts and yards out of wood.  Just start with board stock and not dowels.  If you split out the masts and yards along the grain, it is not as likely to warp.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Alander,

I am glad to hear you ordered new parts, hopefully they will get to you soon. I am also glad to hear that the Nina and Pinta build inspired you to work on the Santa Maria, it is a cool model that I have built a few times. While you are waiting for the parts, you might want to think about building the Revell 1/50 Viking Ship. It was the first one I did after taking a 40 year hiatus. As Professor Tilley states, it a fairly accurate scale model of the Gokstad ship. It also is a fairly quick and fun build that you can practice washes on if you are so inclined.

I have a completed build thread at FSM if you wanted to take a look at some photos. Also, I have completed WIPs of the Hanse Kogge and Thomas there as well. Regarding the Santa Maria, I have a tendency to build several models at any given time. That way I can work on another model if I am stuck or burned out. It gets crazy at times but it works for me. After I finish the Nina, I'll get back to the Pinta and Santa Maria.

I would love to see some photos of your progress and if you ever have any questions, just ask.

Steve

Edited by docidle

Current Build: Merit 1/48 Early Eco 80' PT Boat and Imai 1/50 Catalan Ship

Finished:

Revell 1/196 USS Constitution (My oldest son's school project)
Revell 1/72 Hanse Kogge
Revell 1/50 Viking Ship
Revell 1/72 U-Boat
Zvezda 1/72 English Medieval Ship Thomas

Revell 1/90 The Nina