Mutiny on the Bounty

CaptainSteve

Much has already been written on the subject of the Mutiny on the Bounty, the events & causes leading up to it, the fallout after the fact, and the perilous journey thrust upon Capt Bligh and the loyalists cast adrift.

Whilst working on a build of the HMS Bounty Launch recently, one of the questions which arose was what additional items could a builder put into their Launch to add a little touch of historical authenticity.

As such, the following has been produced from a dissertation of William Bligh's meticulously kept logs.

This is not intended to be a historical study or scholarly review to be added to the already impressive collection of writings on the Mutiny event. My main purpose is to allow modellers of HMS Bounty and/or the Bounty Launch to have a quick reference point whereby they can see what was taken on-board at the outset, and what was collected, found or traded along the way. In this way, I would hope you can select and model any additional equipment for your Launch build.

Resources used for this compilation were:

"The Bounty Mutiny" - William Bligh and Edward Christian (brother of Fletcher)

"A Narrative of the Mutiny, On Board HMS Bounty" - William Bligh

"In Bligh's Hand" - Jennifer Gall

(Any errors or omissions of fact are mine entirely.)

Mutiny Spreadsheet.xml

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Great work CaptainSteve, this really is a great contribution for all modelers, the beans and clams should be fun to make. Great job!

Matt

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Yerr ...

I be thinkin' that I might stop at the hairy coconuts, Matt.

:dancetl6:

(Although, there is THIS, in case anybody is interested in adding it to their Launch)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Many years ago I saw a Bounty Launch with Bligh's uniform coat draped over the thwart in the stern sheets.  It was pretty ingenious, just some blue paper cut into the shape of a coat with buttons and epaulets made of gold foil, draped over the seat. There were no figures and no other personal items that I can recall. Maybe a telescope? Wish I had thought of that.

Edited by JerseyCity Frankie

Niagara USS Constitution 

As I recollect Captain Bligh had the ships carpenter build up the sides of the launch and that portions of the launch were covered by canvas.  I have not read of any discussion as to  what these  modifications both to the sides and perhaps a  frame for the canvas  would have looked like.

Doggie,

There was, as I recall, an entry on 10 May, where Bligh rigged up a canvas weather cloth ...

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

H K F Courses Winds Rems. Sunday 10th May 1789 In the Bountys Launch

1 2 2 WBN EBS Fine Wr. I now got fitted a pair of Shrouds to each Mast, and contrived a Canvas weather cloth around the Boat also raised the Quarters about 9 Inches by help of the Seats, and found it of great Service

2 2 4

3 2 6

4 2 2

5 3 " " Served a bit of bread and a Jill of water for supper

You are correct CaptainSteve. I've been putting in motion a method of storing materials that would give the men more room. The little squirrel has been dropping hints, he's been right before, so I'll listen to him still.

Hope everyone is having a happy and safe New Year.

Matt

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

In my recent trip to the UK I stumbled across this. This is what I love about London - so much history, and the possibility you might happen upon somewhere where famous feet have trodden on!

post-1526-0-56664700-1420098303_thumb.jpg

Looks like you will need to put a flatscreen TV and a reading lamp on your Bounty Launch, Cap'n!

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Looks like you will need to put a flatscreen TV and a reading lamp on your Bounty Launch, Cap'n!

I'm working on it now, Keith !!

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

• 1 month later...

Doggie,

There was, as I recall, an entry on 10 May, where Bligh rigged up a canvas weather cloth ...

Further to the installation of the weathering cloth, please note the following from Bligh's log:

7 May, 1789   16deg 29' S      Variable weather & cloudy. 

Winds NE 

Set up "watch and watch" rotation.

Continued reading of "The Bounty Mutiny" reveals that, essentially, this meant Bligh set up a series of six-hourly "watches", whereby half the crew is standing (if not employed as bailers etc), allowing the other half to stretch out/relax/sleep as much as was possible, given the circumstances.

Adding a "weathering cloth" with frame, it seems obvious (to me) that a frame was built if Bligh has noted that the Carpenter was involved.

This would have been of benefit to the Loyalists by:

(i) allowing them to collect rain-water

(ii) provide some cover from rain and high sun 

(iii) give additional supports for standing crew on work-detail (ie: non-resting)

Unfortunately, I could find no further reference to the "weathering cloth" or its' frame. Thus, I have no concept of the appearance and construction.

I can only imagine the whole thing as a large, floating tent.  

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I am familiar with those log entries. It was always my impression that the "weather clothes" were intended to provide addition freeboard not for shade. I think he would have said "awnings" which was a term on common usage back then. I could be wrong

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

... were intended to provide addition freeboard not for shade. I think he would have said "awnings" which was a term on common usage back then. I could be wrong

You could be completely correct, Michael.

As mentioned, I have no evidence of the actual mock-up that was used.

One other point which has not been mentioned so far, is the actual usage of the oars. The two times I recall their use was, firstly, upon their fleeing Tofoa after the death of John Norton, and, secondly, on the party's final approach along the coastline to the port at Coupang.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

John Weliver of Fort Myer's Florida modeled his launch depicting a known event in the launch, complete with all the figures.  He added a bird, alighting on the mast about to be captured and eaten.

Phil

Phil Roach

Former Director, Nautical Research Guild

Member Shipmodeler's Guild Southwest Florida

Phil,

I suspect you mean this model.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

• 6 years later...
On 1/1/2015 at 7:46 AM, Amfibius said:

In my recent trip to the UK I stumbled across this. This is what I love about London - so much history, and the possibility you might happen upon somewhere where famous feet have trodden on!

post-1526-0-56664700-1420098303_thumb.jpg

I've seen the plaque, Bligh's former residence is a stones throw from the Imperial War museum, well worth a visit with the imposing 15inch guns of HMS Ramillies and Resolution at the entrance.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...