Friendship sloop by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 - Finished

kept her shape really well Bob.  ;)   sweet little build!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

My goodness, that was quick, hull planked up in a week - so what are you going to be building next week...?!!

You must be using a pretty fast setting glue, is it a PVA or something a little more exotic? Tremendous progress & I'm looking forward to seeing how she progresses.

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

Everyone is welcome to this party and I want to thank you all for showing up to look over my shoulder and to add your comments.  Oh, and Steve, I’m “looking forward to seeing how she progresses” also.  Stay tuned, we’ll find out together.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Elia, as I said, “Everyone is welcome to this party.”  Glad you’re here.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

After a debate with myself as to whether or not to add the cabin details I decided I would.  So here’s a start on the cabin.  I’m building it as a separate unit.  I plan to put a stove in the recess on the port and a sink in the shelf on the starboard.  Now that I’ve told everyone I stand a better chance of doing it.

Bob

post-513-0-14229000-1421184472_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-79005800-1421184485_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-18560600-1421184500_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Now that I’ve told everyone I stand a better chance of doing it.

Nothing like some public pressure, to get something done. Looks great so far Bob.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thumbscrews are on you might say. Do you really need that pressure ... You are making quite some headway without it

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

nice cabin interior......when I saw your last picture of her,  I was going to ask if you were putting in deck supports.  I didn't bother though...I knew you would :)    didn't want to ask a pointless question  ;)    super job so far!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

beautiful interior Bob,

good idea also...

lovely little remark of how you set your own (to do,,,) obligation.

trust you shall need to arrange for some way of viewing the interior from outside afterwards....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you all for not adding to the pressure.  Carl, please no “thumb screws” I’ll be needing my thumbs. 

At first I was thinking of a removable top of the cabin to show off the insides but now I’m thinking I’ll do it like Omega did on his Mystic.  There’s always that problem of showing as much of the insides as possible and yet still showing the lines and beauty of the boat.  Omega and Nils both do a marvelous job of that and with help and suggestions from all my modeling friends, maybe I can come close.

Bob

Looks Great Bob, Nice Work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Lawrence, Pete, thanks for the good words.

I’ve been working on cabin details.  A little stain, cabinet doors, laminate on the tops and a stove in the lined alcove.  I made the stove out of brass.  Sorry I should have taken pictures of the stove before I cleaned and painted it.  Next I need to find some 1:48 scale vinyl for the mattresses.  Then I can move on to the cockpit.  More later.

Bob

post-513-0-69703700-1421871067_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-90177700-1421871077_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-05577700-1421871089_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-23365200-1421871101_thumb.jpg

looking very nice Bob....gonna look cool when it in place in the hull!     nice work on the stove ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

beautiful metalwork on the stove Bob,

that also proves a good idea to go for the module build mode, you have fine access to everything....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Patrick, John, Kevin, Popeye, Nils, and all you who hit the like button.  Thanks for looking in and telling me you like what I am building.  This is the third stove I built.  First I tried to make it out of wood covered in foil,  and it looked like wood covered in foil.  Then I tried plastic, I’ve never made anything out of plastic.  Still haven’t.  For years I've  kept telling myself, ‘If the prototype is wood make the model wood, if metal, make it metal’.  So I ended up making it out of brass.  Why didn’t I do that first? 

This is the first time I have tried the modular method and I like it.  I’ll probably use it in other boats as well.  Until next time.

Bob

Thanks, Lawrence. 

I'm looking for 1:48 scale blue vinyl.  I go to the grocers and look at packaged goods with blue in the wrapper, but they are all too shiny.  Any suggestions? 

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

You could add a layer of clear satin or mat paint (diluted ...) to get rid of the shine. Another option is to use cloth, e.g. cotton - you can get that in any thickness and color

Carl

I'm looking for 1:48 scale blue vinyl.

Bob, what is the purpose for the vinyl? once I know that I can give it some thought.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Bob, what is the purpose for the vinyl? once I know that I can give it some thought.

Michael

To cover the mats on the benches.  Cloth looks like the beds are made for sleeping.  But during a sail, since they might get wet and dirty, we always stripped the benches to the Vinyl.

Bob

Can't you paint some 'sheet' rubber in the color you need or hard plastic cut to size.Since the vinil should probably be reasonably smooth ...

Carl

Can't you paint some 'sheet' rubber in the color you need or hard plastic cut to size.Since the vinil should probably be reasonably smooth ...

That's one of the ideas I've been considering.  We'll just have to see.

Bob