Friendship sloop by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 - Finished

try the doll house section of your local craft store........they stock wall and floor coverings that might be of help.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bob

Your Friendship Sloop is looking great!

For the vinyl covered mattress, I have a couple of ideas:

Cut styrene to shape, carve a little surface texture, rolled contour and slightly rounded corners and then paint with the desired color.

Detail on the styrene can also be added by adding a layer or two of fine cotton fabric in the desired color.  Instead of gluing the fabric onto the styrene or wood mattress, saturate the fabric with polyurethane.  When dry, sand the fabric to get the final texture desired.  You may need to sand / poly / sand / poly a few times to get the desired texture.

If you don't have styrene, brown paper bags cut to shape, layered up and also glued with polyurethane, and finished off painted in desired color.  Or, use a blue and black Sharpie Marker on the brown paper bag before adding the polyurethane. 

If you want to stay with vinyl, stop by the local high end bicycle shop that carries road bicycles and ask them if they have any light weight butyl tubes that you can have a section of.  The rubber on these lightweight tubes is less than 1mm thick and the tube is about 1" wide with some texture lines on it. .

I checked the bicycle shops in your area and Ironclad Bicycles, 710 White Spar, Prescott appears to be the only shop that carries road bikes.

Dee Dee   

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Thanks Dee Dee, Those are all good ideas.  I'm not surprised you only found one shop selling road bikes.  Prescott is in the high desert mountains at 5300 feet.  They do sell a lot of mountain bikes here.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Time for more.  The sides of the cabin and cockpit are one large oval.  So I made it that way.  First, using card stock, I made a template of the oval and used it to cut out a block from an old piece of 1 X 3 fir.  The circumference was about eleven inches so I cut a piece of 1/32” basswood 3/4” wide by 12” long.  I wrapped it in soaking wet paper toweling and then microwaved it on high for one minute.  It bent around the block as easily as if it were cardstock.  I wrapped a rubber band around it and clamped it for a day.  I then tapered the overlapping ends and glued them, wrapped the joint in plastic film and it is clamped and drying now.  Next time I manage to get to the boatyard I’ll worry about shaping it.

Bob

post-513-0-06337700-1422558887_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-20450200-1422558897_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-57332100-1422558908_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-76356900-1422558919_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-66264500-1422558930_thumb.jpg

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

innovative technique Bob,

bringing the microwave into the game.....

amazingly good result, I like

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

A great job on the curves Bob, Have you considered party balloons for the vinyl they are a type of rubber and come in all sorts of colours.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Great idea on using the microwave for bending, instant steam bending tool!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Extensive cooking repertoir Bob! Hope it doesn't end up in a pot ... might just be a bit chewy ;) Sharp thinking though - must keep it in mind!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks for all the suggestions for imitating vinyl.  I may try several before I settle on one. 

I have tried many ways to bend wood.  Soaking in hot water, soldering iron, etc. but I’ve never had wood be as flexible as this piece was. It may have been the process, it may have been the wood, I don’t know.  I’ll have to try it again.  As for the microwave I do the cooking so the admiral doesn’t know.  Just a thought, under the forum “Shore Leave” there’s a heading “What did you cook today?” Do you think I should give them this recipe?

Bob

.  Just a thought, under the forum “Shore Leave” there’s a heading “What did you cook today?” Do you think I should give them this recipe? [/font][/size]

Bob

The excellent thought!

- I don't like the wood coocked in a microwave...

- Wow! You just don't know how to cook it!!! )))

Thanks for all the responses about the microwave to soften.wood.  I have not tried it on harder woods.  If anyone does let me know how it works.

Bob

Thanks for all the responses about the microwave to soften.wood.  I have not tried it on harder woods.  If anyone does let me know how it works.

Bob

Can I borrow your microwave ...

Carl

Can I borrow your microwave ...

Sure, anytime you're in the area just let me know.

Bob

interesting ideas from Bob's kitchen  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Bob,

I've steamed 1/32" x 3/16" walnut that needed edge bending in the microwave. Since these need to 'cook' a bit longer, the strips were wrapped in paper towels and then put into a 9" x 12" casserole dish with a quarter to half inch of additional water (to prevent 'cooking' the microwave.)  Microwave on high for three minutes, let it sit in the microwave for five minutes, added more water if needed and cook on high for another three minutes.  Handle with care.  

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Carl said it was palatable....so I tried it............don't do it :wacko::excl::blink:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ok, back to the build. 

I found my 1:48 scale vinyl.  It turned out to be the foil around the top of a wine bottle.  I wrapped it around .06" (3" scale) plastic sheet.

That's all for now.

Bob

post-513-0-02512500-1423160470_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-30379200-1423160482_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Now that's vinil!!!!! Couldn't have bought/find anything looking more alike

Edited by cog

Carl

Fantastic find Bob and great looking benches too!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)