Lady Nelson by Leo-zd - 1:119 - SMALL

Thk Patrick
About the choice of the woods... as now I am distant from any model store and I use only handy tools I use the profiles and woods I bought time ago.. generaly walnut and some light woods , and the red one (the roof ) I think is a mahogany.
The deck was passed with teak warmish, after short time removed with soft textile so remained only a light toning.

about the speed... unfortunately or simply the life is not only this but this is rather the way of short escape.

Edited by Leo-zd

• 4 months later...

Thk :)
Now with shorter days and longer nights (and less real sailing B) ) I hope I shall made progress :)

Firstly I wanted to commend such an excellent model at such a small scale, great conversion.  Next I wanted to just put the question out there is there any significant difference in the hull lines between the Lady Nelson and Jotika's Sherbourne?  Aside from a different windlass, one extra row of cannon's and a few differences in deck items/rigging are the overall hull proportions the same or slightly larger.  Just curious :)

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

Opss.. I deleted my previous post :o
Here is reduced drawings of LN, for only purpose of comparison
(in respect of copyrights and in my personal respect of Cris Watton's works)

post-1426-0-03854100-1445160299_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thk, I like small models (and as I could see, You too :) )  It's my opinion, I appreciate also big scale  super detailed models, but my preferred are small scales (ship 1:700; 1:350, small boats 1:72, 1:144, military planes 1:72 for smaller and 1:144 for bigger... military vehicles 1:72
First because I like to hold the model on my palm and second more pragmatically reason is that I haven't space to work but on the kitchen's table :)
And the last reason, more oportunistic , because of costs B)

Edited by Leo-zd

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

I need help or better to say different opinion :)
As this isn't a project on real existed boat (Lady Nelson is in fact imaginary or better to say generic ship from that period) and as I decided to give it the name of one of similar HM cutters from the list of lost boats I am thinking about some modifications.
I noticed that in the biggest part of ships the masts and bowsprits are a bit different of the ones from LN drawings, I think that is easiest and simply interpretation of that parts.
In fact I refer to the terminal parts of mast (excuse me for my terminology) where the lover part is connected to the upper part and the part of the bowsprit inside the boat.
I noticed that in other models this parts aren't with circular section but squared and I have intention to do it in that mode.

This are the examples from two different cutters (Shenandoah and Alert) especially Alert seems to bee similar to Lady Nelson

post-1426-0-95962200-1450631390_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-41594600-1450631423_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-20544600-1450631435_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-00428900-1450631446_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The story continues
I made some small parts, practically nothing to see but much to do..

Painting of the underwater part.. At the end the result isn't the one I planed.. :/

My intention was to apply a very tiny color layer, and as the white never cover too much, so the structure and the distribution of hull will be partially visible. but.. but when I applied the first layer of white it was terrible, all surface structure was out of scale and the imperfections were magnified.

I decided for new solution, two hands of liquid putty (Mr surfacer 1000) and sanding with used sand paper 1000.

When the surface was satisfactory I applied the white... but the problems newer goes alone..
I used the acrylic white with brush, the one from Revell cube..
The result wasn't satisfactory. I applied  two layers and gently with previously mentioned sandpaper removed al imperfections, this operation repeated for three times.
This procedure created a small problem with masking tape.
I used normal masking tape Tessa pink (gently, for sensible surfaces) and it works well but the thickness of all that layers of putty and color was to high so when I removed the tape I noticed some small cracking . At the end the border of color reduced with mentioned sandpaper.

The result isn't the best but from other side I hope that at the end, as it is so small, it won't be so visible.

post-1426-0-56063700-1452193623_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-15422700-1452193636_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-30718300-1452193654_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-78186900-1452193666_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-13173300-1452193680_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-72552900-1452193692_thumb.jpg

But after painting I feel very sad so to bring me up I returned to one I really love, wood, and made a bowsprit , that is life :dancetl6: , workstation/bathroom, sandpaper, wood dust (as I haven't any type or place for working room, the gently works I do on the kitchen table but dusty and rumors works like sanding I do in bathroom ) and you could immediately see the results of work,
That was real working therapy , the photos soon. B)

• 3 weeks later...

bowsprit is made

and the first try to fabricate blocks for cannon rig

As the smallest wooden blocks is about 2mm and that is too big for my cannons I tried to produce blocks.

I used the iron wire, diameter 0,5mm, and the very thin paper (used in packages of shirts) rounded around the wire  and glued. Later sanded to reduce to squared section of about 1,2mm*1,2mm.
The next goal will be to cut the slices of 1-1,2mm.
As the dimensios are so small the photos are poor.

post-1426-0-61992100-1454016572_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-06131600-1454016584_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-41684600-1454016592_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-57071100-1454016600_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Anchors

the anchor's drawing attached on styrene sheet, cut, attached two more layers (with Tamya extra thin liquid cement, it transform two pieces of styrene in one) modeled , created the triangular ends, painted with mat black and dry brushed with graphite pencil.

Wooden part from walnut 2*2mm with metallic reinforcements.

post-1426-0-88157400-1455137912_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-63424300-1455137922_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-80095100-1455137933_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So another small very small work.
And this time I am not guilty :P
the problem is the provocation from this site:

LN_119_187.jpg

so I have no choice than to made :dancetl6: it

post-1426-0-56880000-1456174802_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-49828500-1456174814_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-15018800-1456174826_thumb.jpg

Nice looking ship's bell... is it wood or metal?   Either way, it's great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

No, the bell is made from styrene, first glued with CA strips of styrene on steel rod than put it in styrene tube, and glued/molded styrene together with Tamya cement - green cap . that was the worst part of job.

The rod is used as the axe and put in minidrill and worked with fine sandpaper for the shape, for polishing i used the "wrong" part of sandpaper (the paper) and the minidrill at high speed. Just take care to do all gently, very gently.

As is all so small I used two small wires for the bell's eyes.
I hope I explained (not because the operation was complicated bur because my English...... :huh:

Leo,

Thanks for the explanation.  It's such a great looking bell.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)