Finding paint/stain products in Australia

Im currently building Launch Bounty and wishing to stick to the kit instructions ( as its my first) ,however im struggling to locate a supplier of the paints and oils mentioned. Anyone know a good supplier , preferable on line as i live in regional NSW

You have a Bunnings in Coffs Harbour! I know, because i've been there :) 

Go to Bunnings, and look for this: http://www.bunnings.com.au/feast-watson-50ml-teak-brown-prooftint-interior-stain_p1569948

They have a variety of colours. If you look at my Bounty Launch build log, you can see how I mixed up my own stain from these samples. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Agree with KeithW. I bought a range of these little sample bottles. They are good value for we model builders as they will go a loooong way when used on small modelling jobs. They are easily thinned. I mixed and experimented with them till I got the colour I wanted then stored the left over 'mixed' stain in syringes for later use. The syringes I 'stoppered' with nails which I cut down and ground to a point.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I'm sorry, I just realized that I only answered half your question. You can buy stains in Bunnings. You can also buy varnish. I normally use Wattyl Estapol Satin, but Bunnings have stopped stocking that in spray form. They have an alternative brand which I have not tried. 

For hobby paints, I visit my local hobby shop: http://metrohobbies.com.au/hobby-supplies/paints.html

They stock a choice of paint brands - acrylics, enamels, and so on. Which type of paint, and which brand of paint is really a personal preference. We can have LOOOOOOOOONG discussions on the subject. The brand of paint which I like and use most are Vallejo acrylics. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Keith, yes Bunnings has stopped selling Wattyl products. However, you can still get Wattyl matt, satin and gloss in spray cans from Home Hardware. I assume that you have them down your way a well. I like the Wattyl product and was most unimpressed when Bunnings stopped stocking it.

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

... preferable on line as i live in regional NSW

... have you tried Modeller's Shipyard ??

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Miniature Steam in Melbourne sells Admiralty Acrylic Paints. These paints are in authentic Royal Navy colours and are, in my opinion, very good quality. They can be purchased online. Simply 'google' Miniature Steam and follow the links.

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory