Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Launching ways

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

JustBlowinInTheWind

JustBlowinInTheWind
  • Members
  • 513 posts
  • LocationOakdale, California

Dunno where else to ask this question.

Looking for an example or plans for a launching way.

Current Build: Rattlesnake 1:64 privateer from Mamoli. 20 guns, 1781
On hold: Niagara. U.S Brig, War of 1812, Model Shipways / 1:64 (Until I get some rigging experience) First build. Yep. Bit off a chunk a chew.

Waiting its turn:
C.S.S. Alabama, Steam and Sail Sloop of war, 1862: Mamoli / 1:120

Brian

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - A saying on a hat my Dad wore.

Canute

Canute

Engine Stoker 3rd Class

• Members
  • 1,447 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

How about the instructions for MS Armed Virginia Sloop? Looks like a good start, anyway.

• mtaylor likes this

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

druxey

druxey
  • Members
  • 4,765 posts
  • LocationNiagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

There are contemporary examples of ways on a number of National Maritime Museum models. Check their 'Collections' site and search for 'launching ways'.

rtropp

rtropp
  • Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

here us a picture I had but cannot remember where I got it.

ship building dock model.jpg

Richard

Edited by rtropp, 16 February 2015 - 12:11 PM.

• WackoWolf, Jack12477, GuntherMT and 4 others like this

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

JustBlowinInTheWind

JustBlowinInTheWind
  • Members
  • 513 posts

Colo, thanks much

On hold: Niagara. U.S Brig, War of 1812, Model Shipways / 1:64 (Until I get some rigging experience) First build. Yep. Bit off a chunk a chew.

Waiting its turn:

Brian

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - A saying on a hat my Dad wore.

cor

cor
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Locationlelystad netherlands

some other pictures 

http://www.velierimo...A-CONSEGNA.aspx

http://www.velierimo...-IN-GUERRA.aspx

• rtropp and Jack12477 like this

jbshan

jbshan
  • Members
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationWest Coast of NH

And here is a third-rate on the ways ready for launch.  I think you can see how this fits to the previous picture.  This photo is from http://usscm.blogspot.com/

Click on the pic a couple of times, it gets bigger.

74gunship1815.jpg

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationSaugerties, Mid-Hudson Valley/Catskill Region, NY

COR: That would make a cool model even without the ship.

• cor likes this

Jack

"No one is as smart as all of us"
---------------------------------------------

Current build: MS Willie L Bennett
Completed build log(s): MS 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
Gallery: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch , 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
In dry-dock: AL 1798 US Constellation,  MS Picket Boat,  Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

Other: 1912 Hudson River Ice Yacht Manhasset - RESTORATION - Scale = Full Size, Relief Carving for Model Ships

rtropp

rtropp
  • Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Cor,

Do you know if there are any other distributors for the launch way model?

Thanks,

Richard

• Jack12477 likes this

Richard

rtropp

rtropp
  • Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

has anyone experience with Velieri, maker of the launch way kit?

also, does anyone know of any other source for the kit?

Thanks,

Richard

• Jack12477 likes this

Richard

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

If I am reading their site correctly and Google is translating the Italian correctly the larger kit is 144 Euro or roughly 164 USD but that includes VAT. Does anyone know what portion of VAT gets subtract when shipped out of Europe to USA?

Jack

Gallery: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch , 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
In dry-dock: AL 1798 US Constellation,  MS Picket Boat,  Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

Other: 1912 Hudson River Ice Yacht Manhasset - RESTORATION - Scale = Full Size, Relief Carving for Model Ships

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

Jack,

I believe all the VAT is removed.  You might email the company and check with them.

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Thanks Mark ! I figured it out with a little help from Google. You are right it gets removed or you can file for a refund. The VAT is 20% for most of Europe it seems - 22% for Italy. So the 144 Euro w/ VAT is roughly 115 Euro without VAT. Would love to find a USA distributor!  But then from the pictures we could also try our hand at scratch building one ! :D

Jack

JustBlowinInTheWind

JustBlowinInTheWind
  • Members
  • 513 posts

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I searched the site for modi di lancio (launch ways) hoping to find more options, but it didn't even pull up the launch we're talking about.

I don't see how that launch will keep a ship upright.

Waiting its turn:

Brian

GLakie

GLakie

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

• Gone, but not forgotten
  • 3,207 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI--USA

I believe they used "whalers" against the sides of the hull during construction.

GEORGE

Posted Image

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Does anyone know how big those timbers under the rails (ones lifting it into an inclined position) would have been? Is it 6"x6" or 8"x8" or ????  That's an intriguing model. Should be too hard to build even without their kit.

Brian: They only showed two variations. one at 1:75 scale and one (I think) at 1:64 scale. I couldn't find any other views or info either, of course, I can't read or speak Italian either.

Jack

jbshan

jbshan
  • Members
  • 1,130 posts

... I don't see how that launch will keep a ship upright.

The keel was laid on blocks carefully levelled to an incline which were topped with 'splitting blocks' which later could be split and removed.

The ship was built on top of those, braces or shores being used to hold it upright during construction.  Drydocks have steps running along the sides specifically for these shores to stand on.

When finished, the cradle (reference the photo of the ship I posted) was built around and under the hull.  The tops were bolted to the hull with through bolts and wedged inside for easier removal after launch.  The bottom of the cradle passed between the blocks supporting the hull.  The rails were laid either side, with a little clearance to the cradle.  When all is ready, the splitting blocks are split and removed, lowering the hull and cradle down onto the greased rails.  A few of the shores remain to steady the hull.  The cross piece in your first pic is, I believe, part of the cradle and used to hold the hull in place until everything is let loose and with luck the ship slides down the ways, on the cradle and rails, and into her proper element.

Here is a pic of a drydock in Liverpool with a ship in it.

Ship_in_dry_dock,_Liverpool_-_scan01.jpg

Some drydocks were totally floodable, as is the one in the pic.  Some were flooded by the tide so the range was limited and the ways inside had to be sloped.  That sort is a combination of drydock and building slip, a third type, we would call it a marine railway today, basically.  Today, large ships are built in totally floodable docks or even totally ashore and hauled onto a floating platform (floating drydock) on which they can be moved into deep water and floated off.

Photo of Nieuw Amsterdam, Harland and Wolff, 1906, built on the shore and launched down inclined ways.

NA-1906-under-construction-at-Harland-and-Wolff-web.JPG

• robin b likes this

jbshan

jbshan
  • Members
  • 1,130 posts

The blocking might be up to 2 ft. square, as was the keel of a large ship.

I googled launching ways and slipway and found lots of pics.

jbshan

jbshan
  • Members
  • 1,130 posts

Just for giggles, how many drydocks do you count here?

Portsmouth, UK

Portsmouth-googlemaps.jpg

JustBlowinInTheWind

JustBlowinInTheWind
  • Members
  • 513 posts

That's an awful lot of Euros for an American dollar. I think I'll try to make something like the one in the photo by jbsham.

I do have time yet, so if anyone comes up with anything else, I'm all ears. Said Ross Parrot.

Waiting its turn:

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.