Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Launching ways

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

toly.kol

toly.kol
  • Members
  • 57 posts
  • LocationМосква

I did it myself so

я делал это себе так 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4428_thumb.jpg
  • IMG_4420_thumb.jpg
  • IMG_4418_thumb.jpg
  • IMG_4417_thumb.jpg
  • IMG_4469_thumb.jpg
  • IMG_4487_thumb.jpg
  • IMG_4489_thumb.jpg

• WackoWolf, Dubz, cristikc and 7 others like this

roach101761

roach101761
  • Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationNaples, Florida

Joel

Back to your picture of "can you count the Dry Docks".  Is the large rectangular object moored on the far right hand edge of the basin a floating dry dock?  I could not blow up the picture but it looks like it has gates on one end and  Helicopter pad build over the other end. 

Phil Roach

Director, Nautical Research Guild

President, Shipmodeler's Guild, Southwest Florida

JustBlowinInTheWind

JustBlowinInTheWind
  • Members
  • 513 posts
  • LocationOakdale, California

Toly.kol, how did you make the bricks?

Current Build: Rattlesnake 1:64 privateer from Mamoli. 20 guns, 1781
On hold: Niagara. U.S Brig, War of 1812, Model Shipways / 1:64 (Until I get some rigging experience) First build. Yep. Bit off a chunk a chew.

Waiting its turn:
C.S.S. Alabama, Steam and Sail Sloop of war, 1862: Mamoli / 1:120

Brian

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - A saying on a hat my Dad wore.

jbshan

jbshan
  • Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationWest Coast of NH

Joel

Back to your picture of "can you count the Dry Docks".  Is the large rectangular object moored on the far right hand edge of the basin a floating dry dock?  I could not blow up the picture but it looks like it has gates on one end and  Helicopter pad build over the other end. 

I think it's just a barge, Phil, though a really big one, I must admit.  If it were a drydock I think you'd see the shadow of the side of the well the way the light is.

Well, on closer look, I think it is either a training ship of some sort or a service vessel.  Just forward of the 'H' it says 'LONGBOW' which is a version of an Apache helicopter.

Blow up from GoogleMaps:

'Longbow?'.jpg

Edited by jbshan, 28 February 2015 - 12:01 AM.

roach101761

roach101761
  • Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationNaples, Florida

A service ship is a good bet, or barge. Thanks for blowing it up Joel.

Phil

Phil Roach

Director, Nautical Research Guild

President, Shipmodeler's Guild, Southwest Florida

toly.kol

toly.kol
  • Members
  • 57 posts
  • LocationМосква

Toly.коль, как ты, делают кирпичи?

1. bought the tile of the desired color 2. sawing with a diamond disk to a depth of 2 mm with water then broke in half 3. sawing CIRCULAR SAW  FEТ

1. купил плитку нужного цвета  2. пилил алмазным диском на глубину 2 мм с водой потом ломал  пополам 3. пилил на ЦИРКУЛЯРНАЯ ПИЛА FET

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4466_thumb.jpg
  • Mozaika_VANILLA_WOOD_MRAMOR_nat.kamen_(2.3x2.3)_30.5x30.5.jpg
  • 7fdc76c87c2dd68a6c844425d88c7ff3.jpg
  • 07239063a6c47e87617853c675ffc19c.jpg

• WackoWolf, jbford, cristikc and 1 other like this

trippwj

trippwj

Scullery Maid

• Members
  • 3,491 posts
  • LocationEastport, Maine, USA

That's an awful lot of Euros for an American dollar. I think I'll try to make something like the one in the photo by jbsham.

I do have time yet, so if anyone comes up with anything else, I'm all ears. Said Ross Parrot.

I'm a bit late to the party, but You may want to take a look at the section by Richard Barker, 2003. “Cradles of Navigation” Re-Visited. In Shipbuilding Practice and Ship Design Methods from the Renaissance to the 18th Century: A Workshop Report, 103–163. Preprint 245. [Berlin]: Max-Planck-Institut für Wissenschaftsgeschichte. https://www.mpiwg-be...prints/P245.PDF.

He provides several sketches of a variety of launching methods starting on page 155.

• mtaylor, WackoWolf and Canute like this

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Roger Pellett

Roger Pellett
  • Members
  • 236 posts
  • LocationDuluth, MN
When a ship is launched, it is supposed to pivot about the forward cradle. Looking at the starboard side of the ship, as it enters the water the stern should lift and the vessel would rotate in a clockwise direction about the forward support. If the stern does not have sufficient buoyancy there is a danger of the vessel pivoting about the end of the ways (rotating counterclockwise) and breaking the keel. For this reason, the forward support- called the fore poppet is built to accommodate this rotation, either with blocking that is crushed as the vessel pivots or with specially curved surfaces.

For this reason, I don't believe that vertical posts on the fore poppet would be used as these would punch a hole in the bow when the ship rotates.

For a 20th century discussion of launching see Principles of Naval Architecture by Rossell and Chapman Volume I or any other naval architecture textbook

Roger Pellett
  • trippwj, mtaylor, WackoWolf and 1 other like this

Deperdussin1910

Deperdussin1910
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Just saw this thread.  Here is a picture of a simple launching cradle for my RC 1/24 scale War of 1812 Privateer.

• mtaylor and Canute like this

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

Deperdussin1910

Deperdussin1910
  • Members
  • 16 posts

pic attached this time

Attached Thumbnails

• slipway almost finished 007.jpg

• trippwj, mtaylor, Jack12477 and 1 other like this

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.