Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Amati and Chris Watton

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
707 replies to this topic

helmsman

helmsman

• Moderators
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, Utah

The model looks fantastic!

• Green0341 likes this

Jeff Toma

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Constitution

Chuck

Chuck

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,315 posts
  • LocationRutherford Nj

Well done sir.....Chris that is an excellent model and kit design.

And WELCOME BACK.

Chuck

• tasmanian likes this

Chuck Passaro - MSW Admin 

Current build - HMS Winchelsea - POB scratch build

HM Cutter Cheerful - POB scratch build

Royal Barge - POF scratch

www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com

st george

st george
  • Members
  • 1,246 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada, USA

Great looking model Chris. Piggy bank relabelled to HMS Victory fund.

David

David

Current Build : HMAV Bounty - Amati

Next Build : 18th Century Longboat

chris watton

chris watton
  • Members
  • 290 posts
  • LocationForest of Dean, Gloucester, UK

Well done sir.....Chris that is an excellent model and kit design.

And WELCOME BACK.

Chuck

Thank you Chuck! That means a lot coming from you.

I had anticipated finishing this one by June/July - but there is so much to it that for the first time, I have grossly underestimated the development time and looks like this will go on until September at least!

I must weigh it when complete...

Padeen

Padeen
  • Members
  • 200 posts
  • LocationParis

Hello Mr Watton,

Welcome back on the site and thank you very much for posting this! Now I know for sure I will buy and build this kit when available!  :)

What's the length of the hull, by the way?

• Jack P likes this

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

chris watton

chris watton
  • Members
  • 290 posts

Hello Mr Watton,

Welcome back on the site and thank you very much for posting this! Now I know for sure I will buy and build this kit when available!  :)

What's the length of the hull, by the way?

Thank you :)

The length of the hull, from stern to figurehead is 1066mm.

With the bowsprit and mizzen boom, it increases to 1582mm, or there about.

After working on it for so long, it doesn't look that big anymore.....

• nyuggerladikos likes this

yvesvidal

yvesvidal
  • Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC - USA

I must weigh it when complete...

I bet it must be heavy with that skeleton made of MDF boards. It will be interesting to place the Syren next to the Victory model, since they are at the same scale.

Yves

Yves

chris watton

chris watton
  • Members
  • 290 posts

I don't think the MDF would add too much more to the weight than ply, to be honest, as most parts are not too big or thick - the hull is mostly a very strong but hollow shell.

One thing you may be pleased about is the gun port inner linings - they are all laser cut in 1mm ply (No sill on the lower inside edge of the ports, just top and sides) - and all of the gun port lids are laser cut.

freewheelinguy

freewheelinguy
  • Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNottingham,

Chris,

What a great design.  It is truly an honor to see your development.  Thanks for taking the time from your busy schedule to share this with us here.  Hope my body can hold out before this kit comes available.  I've said before, but I'll say it again, Amati is truly lucky to have you.

• edmay likes this

Happy modeling,

Len

Current build: HMS Bellerophon semi-scratch from plans of Victory Models HMS Vanguard 

Drydock:  MS Constitution

Completed builds: MS AVS, scratch built Syren, Victory models HMS Fly

Kusawa2000

Kusawa2000
  • Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationWhitehorse, Yukon

Chris: Are you planning to have a double plank on Bulkhead or single plank.. from just looking at the framing and gunports you have designed so far I would think you are doing single plank. Are you also in a position to guess what wood you would use for planking?

Enquiring minds want to know

Great job so far.. extremely impressive work

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Secretary, Nautical Research Guild

AnobiumPunctatum

AnobiumPunctatum
  • Members
  • 859 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

This looks like a very interesting kit and a very good base to do a model of this famous ship in her appearance during the American Wars of Revolution.

Regards Christian

In the shipyard: HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - Scale 1/32;

On the drawing board: Naval Cutter Rattlesnake, 1777 - Scale 1/32

chris watton

chris watton
  • Members
  • 290 posts

Chris: Are you planning to have a double plank on Bulkhead or single plank.. from just looking at the framing and gunports you have designed so far I would think you are doing single plank. Are you also in a position to guess what wood you would use for planking?

Enquiring minds want to know

Great job so far.. extremely impressive work

Mike Draper

Hi Mike,

Of course! First planking is 1.5x6mm limewood and second is 1x5 walnut:

Firstplanking1_zpsb41e62ca.jpg

Firstplanking2_zps298e0a5e.jpg

Firstplanking3_zps4658b507.jpg

Second planking:

Firstplanking4_zps657924a7.jpg

Firstplanking5_zpsf3a3d910.jpg

Followed by wales:

Firstplanking6_zps5f85ce6b.jpg

Firstplanking7_zps881c1be3.jpg

Firstplanking8_zpsdb27c665.jpg

And while the hull is free from clutter:

Firstplanking9_zps9888dbfc.jpg

Firstplanking10_zps5cd29813.jpg

Chris

• Ryland Craze, realworkingsailor, gieb8688 and 9 others like this

Brian the extraordinaire

Brian the extraordinaire
  • Members
  • 3,396 posts
  • LocationAustralia

wow, spectacular !

Padeen

Padeen
  • Members
  • 200 posts
  • LocationParis

Wow indeed!

Thank you :)

The length of the hull, from stern to figurehead is 1066mm.

With the bowsprit and mizzen boom, it increases to 1582mm, or there about.

After working on it for so long, it doesn't look that big anymore.....

Well, that makes her about twice as long as Fly! I'll need a bigger modeling table...

Edited by Padeen, 15 May 2013 - 08:24 PM.

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Kusawa2000

Kusawa2000
  • Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationWhitehorse, Yukon

Chris: Thanks for the response on the hull planking as well as the great pics of her planked hull.. incredible detail

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Secretary, Nautical Research Guild

Floyd Kershner

Floyd Kershner
  • Members
  • 1,332 posts
  • LocationWoodinville WA

Nice to have you back Chris! Great work!

Current Builds - AL Harvey, 18th Century Longboat, Amati Endeavor

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, MS Syren

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

garym

garym
  • Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationCitrus Heights, California, USA

Wow. Finally a model that is over 5 feet long so that you can get real good detail. The size will make the job of rigging more enjoyable and allow it to be rigged better. One I would love to see and think it deserves this type of treatment would be the HMS Prince from the 17th century. At a scale of 1:50, this would be a kit to die for. With the modern technology, what was almost impossible for normal modelers can now be achieved through laser cutting and the like. Love the the Amati castings. They are so well done. Even if I was artist or great carver, I would still use their castings to save time and effort.

GaryM

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Happy modeling.

Current build: Mantua Sovereign of the Seas

Build logs: Mantua Le Soleil Royal

Completed Builds: Amati HMS Prince (old 1:77 version), Billing Norske Love and Vasa, Mantua La Couronne, Mississippi Riverboat and Le Soleil Royal

In que: Mantua Cutty Sark, Billings Titanic

In waiting: Amerigo Vespucci

chris watton

chris watton
  • Members
  • 290 posts

Wow. Finally a model that is over 5 feet long so that you can get real good detail. The size will make the job of rigging more enjoyable and allow it to be rigged better. One I would love to see and think it deserves this type of treatment would be the HMS Prince from the 17th century. At a scale of 1:50, this would be a kit to die for. With the modern technology, what was almost impossible for normal modelers can now be achieved through laser cutting and the like. Love the the Amati castings. They are so well done. Even if I was artist or great carver, I would still use their castings to save time and effort.

I have just stepped the bowsprit and lower masts, just to make sure they fit smoothly through all of the decks - it is then that I realised how big it's going to be..

I have redesigned the 64th scale Prince (which happens to be my favourite ship model), and that, until Victory was the largest model I have done. 1:48 would definitely be too large - I think 64th is the limit for 1st Rates. The length of the Prince hull is only 100mm shorter than Victory at around 965mm (without the bowsprit)

yvesvidal

yvesvidal
  • Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC - USA

Chris,

What would be great would be to have a picture of the Victory Hull that you are building with a human reference next to it: a hand or a person holding it. I think it would provide a perspective that is missing from the pictures you gave us.

Thanks

Yves

chris watton

chris watton
  • Members
  • 290 posts

Chris,

What would be great would be to have a picture of the Victory Hull that you are building with a human reference next to it: a hand or a person holding it. I think it would provide a perspective that is missing from the pictures you gave us.

Thanks

Yves

I'll do that once the masts are in place.

One thing I meant to add - after visiting the Victory a few weeks back and taking loads of pics, and seeing details close up, I realise that most kits (and I would have done the same) use planks for the decks that are way too wide. From looking at the upper deck planks, they equate to something like 3mm wide in 64th scale, so 3mm wide tang is what I'll use.

I just added some gun port window frames for the ports under the poop - I realised that with the poop/quarterdeck removable bulkheads in place, the cannon wouldn't have been run out (probably..), and perhaps were placed parallel to the bulwarks - also after seeing the real thing, I added hinges for the removable/foldable bulkheads..

A few pics from Portsmouth (It was the only nice day we had last month - a day later we had snow!):

Portsmouthtripforsergio51_zps28e3f451.jp

Portsmouthtripforsergio57_zpsd9e4f02d.jp

Portsmouthtripforsergio48_zps35733b29.jp

Portsmouthtripforsergio47_zps5de209f2.jp

Portsmouthtripforsergio46_zpsf3a5f244.jp

Portsmouthtripforsergio45_zps2da4d73e.jp

Portsmouthtripforsergio43_zpsf20fbd33.jp

Portsmouthtripforsergio42_zps6dd1a07a.jp

Portsmouthtripforsergio40_zps7d25401a.jp

Portsmouthtripforsergio38_zps7edf853d.jp

Portsmouthtripforsergio35_zpseec0e732.jp

Portsmouthtripforsergio28_zps617a1e58.jp

Since studying this and other photos, I changed the pillars of the bulkheads to resemble the ones in the pic, and added the bulkhead hinges at the top:

Portsmouthtripforsergio61_zpscabfb05c.jp

• freewheelinguy, maddog33, jbford and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.