On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:34 PM, chris watton said:

This so much reminds me of buying my very first wooden kit, a Billings Bounty - this had exactly as you suggest (except for quality wood). Hell, it even had a large block of obechi, this was the ship's boat that you had to carve out yourself! I would like to think we have 'evolved' the kits a little more since then.

Those were the days of wooden ships and iron men, when most boys had mastered the basics of hand tool use by around age fourteen. With the demise of "manual arts" in our school curriculums (to be replaced, perhaps, by "keyboarding" and "coding,") I understand how the old style kits might be too challenging for many kit buyers today, but I'm not entirely sure the "evolution" to which you refer is particularly progressive in terms of the fine art of ship modeling.

19 hours ago, Thunder said:

Definitely do not go back to that idea. It will just mean lots of half finished models and despondent people leaving the hobby. We left that behind long ago and need to encourage people back. 

I'm not sure why there's "a need to encourage people back," unless, of course, you are a kit manufacturer and it's your "rice bowl." The fine art oil painting market hasn't seemed to suffer any since the paint-by-numbers kit fad died off. It's always good to invite and encourage people to pursue a worthwhile interest and to learn from others with shared interests, but there's little benefit to numbers for numbers sake, and certainly none in "dumbing it down" to attract those who otherwise couldn't make the cut. In most instances, the less of something desirable, the more it is valued. The more exclusive a club, the more who want to join.

17 hours ago, chris watton said:

... If anything, I have always tried to make the kits easier (and more fun) to build. For me, it is not a willy waving contest about who is the most skilled at making something from a block a wood - there are plenty of plans and a vast selection of nice woods for people who are into that already.

I agree completely, Chris. I mean, about there being plenty of subjects and plenty of materials to build any model one wishes, but not the part about the the willy waving contest about who is the most skilled at making something from a block a wood. In the case of either ship models or willies, the thing speaks for itself. There's no waving necessary. :D 

Edited by Bob Cleek

9 hours ago, paulsutcliffe said:

How about further down the line one of the earlier victories, ie 1744 100 gun four Decker, nobodies made that one, flat stern with balconies and lots of red paint,  awesome

Regards

Paul

I do not like the earlier Victory as like Wasa, it was a very flawed design, too top heavy. I have obtained a full set of plans for a mid 18th Century First Rate, but it's not Victory (although I do have the as built plans for that too, from my earlier designs of Amati's 64th scale Victory)

The 1744 Victory wasn't a 4-decker, it just had four tiers of stern and side lights.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

I shall be off the forums for a while, as I will have no real news until I have finished what I am now doing, so need to concentrate on that.

Once I do have more news, I shall start a new thread.

Cheers,

Chris

Just to add, a big genuine thank you to all of you guys who have contributed, I can honestly say that if it wasn't for the input from many on this forum, I would not have even thought about starting to design new stuff again, so your input and help you have given me is and has been deeply appreciated.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

23 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

And indeed you are! :D

someone that that about me once apon a time

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat