Hello Chris

Could I just ask what became of HMS Prince.This was a definite on my to build list being a fan of 17th century warships.I do have Amati's plans for the kit they produced but there are quite a few inaccuracies when combined with their castings.

The second question and I know it's slightly off topic and you are a very busy man.I remember your Sovereign of the Seas medal winning model featured in a uk magazine.I kept this copy for several years as a point of reference for when I built this ship.Now that I have started the build I cannot find the magazine anywhere (nearly rebuilt house since then).Is it possible to ask if you could post a few pics for one of your biggest fans.I was awestruck when I first saw the article.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Hello Chris

Could I just ask what became of HMS Prince.This was a definite on my to build list being a fan of 17th century warships.I do have Amati's plans for the kit they produced but there are quite a few inaccuracies when combined with their castings.

The second question and I know it's slightly off topic and you are a very busy man.I remember your Sovereign of the Seas medal winning model featured in a uk magazine.I kept this copy for several years as a point of reference for when I built this ship.Now that I have started the build I cannot find the magazine anywhere (nearly rebuilt house since then).Is it possible to ask if you could post a few pics for one of your biggest fans.I was awestruck when I first saw the article.

Kind Regards Nigel

Thank you!

Here you go:

magazineSOTSscan1_zps12ee87c0.jpg

magazineSOTSscan2_zpse3302564.jpg

I think I completed this in 1994, the year I started designing for money (although not much money...). I remember saving up for this kit and paid £545 for it. I hid it in the cupboard for a while, but my then girlfriend (no ex wife) found it and went mad - but was quite happy at the price I got when I sold it...

This was my forth attempt at a wooden ship model (first being Billing's Will Everard, then Billings Bounty, followed by the then just released Mantua Le Superb - by that time, I felt ready to give this a good kit-bashing.

Regarding prince, I have re designed it from the original re designs, and I hope I can get my teeth into that one once Victory is complete. I think I will commission a whole ne set of carvings for it, too (Ideally the kit castings will be in high quality resin, I don't like the cast metal fittings so much)

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Thankyou very much indeed Chris.I shall put thoughts of Prince on the backburner.If I have to wait along time,I don't care,judging by your Victory prototype it will be more than worth the wait and do justice to this beautiful ship it so rightly deserves.

Kind Regards Nigel

Thank you again, Nigel. I will have to build prince (third time!) all over again - but I don't mind.

I also found some scans (when looking for SOTS scans) of my Panart Victory build from a later magazine article. Krick commissioned me to make it when I worked for jotika for their showroom - I think this was back in 1995/6:

Victorypic2_zps1c5c6453.jpg

Victorypic3_zpsf0e0c680.jpg

Victorypic4_zpse0c3bbc4.jpg

Victorypic5_zps81309d93.jpg

Victorypic6_zpsb327b5be.jpg

logo.jpg

Again, a lovely model Chris.It seems a shame that the two main UK magazines don't seem to focus as much on period ships as they used to.I know keith Julier has done a few articles,but when you have all his books,these are only covering what has been mentioned before.

Kind Regards Nigel

I think you have me confused with another company. :)

Chris: While the subject has come up, is there any updates on the release of the Bellona kit through Victory kits? I was impressed with your prototype and have been waiting for news on its release. I know the Revenge kit and this Victory has been on centre stage but I was wondering if there is any idea of the Bellona being released.

Thanks for any info you can give

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Nigel

You mentioned Keith Julier. I have seen nothing by him for some time in Model Boats. He must be getting up in years. Does anyone know if he is still active? His books really got me interested in the hobby. Though not as thorough as practicums (or intended to be),  his ship reviews gave you an idea of what the model was like to build. He always added bit of humor too.

Jaxboat

Edited by Jaxboat

Keith Julier is my friend and we still keep in contact - although I have heard nothing since Christmas. He is a great guy, and is getting on a bit now and unfortunately, cannot really model any longer. It was his review of Euro Model's Royal William that inspired me to try the Sovereign of the Seas - and before that, it was his reviews that got me started with wooden ship kits - it is fair to say that Keith has been my biggest inspiration, and the nicest man you are ever likely to meet.

@Mike Draper - Bellona was used as a 'test bed' for new design techniques, of which Victory is the result. Bellona will certainly become a kit, but I do need to implement substantial re designs after the further lessons learned from Victory. Bellona will be like HMS Fly on super-steroids!

logo.jpg

Again, a lovely model Chris.It seems a shame that the two main UK magazines don't seem to focus as much on period ships as they used to.I know keith Julier has done a few articles,but when you have all his books,these are only covering what has been mentioned before.

Kind Regards Nigel

I honestly cannot remember the last time I bought either Model Boats or Marine Modelling magazines! The only ones we see are when someone sends us one with a relevant review - and that's very rare.

logo.jpg

LOL - Chris if i had some spare pocket money, i would set up a subscription to model boats for you, as it is - i dont.

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I used to go out of my way to get them ,now I'll pick up a copy if its under my nose.

I have to agree with you Chris,Keith Julier is instrumental to introducing so many of us to the 'black' art of building period ship models in the days before the internet.Euromodels Royal William,beautiful model,unfortunately if you are in the UK you have to get it direct from Italy.Kicking myself now because I passed up on the last one Westbourne Model Centre had.

Kind Regards Nigel

Keith Julier is my friend and we still keep in contact - although I have heard nothing since Christmas. He is a great guy, and is getting on a bit now and unfortunately, cannot really model any longer. It was his review of Euro Model's Royal William that inspired me to try the Sovereign of the Seas - and before that, it was his reviews that got me started with wooden ship kits - it is fair to say that Keith has been my biggest inspiration, and the nicest man you are ever likely to meet.

@Mike Draper - Bellona was used as a 'test bed' for new design techniques, of which Victory is the result. Bellona will certainly become a kit, but I do need to implement substantial re designs after the further lessons learned from Victory. Bellona will be like HMS Fly on super-steroids!

Chris: Thanks for the update. While I am keen to see the Bellonas release sometime soon, I do have enough projects to tie me over for a while. If the release date does firm up please keep us updated. Your Victory kit is impressive and incredible level of detail but I do have the Jotika kit of the Victory in the sidelines -couldn't fit 2 Victorys in my building schedule. But Im still keen on seeing more pics on your development process.

Keep up the good work

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

@chris watton

OK, I am in the middle of spraying the hull in matt varnish, before I add the rope railings.

This is what I am using:

vic3_zps6d245835.jpg

A compressor, a crappy old spray gun (I do have a Badger airbrush, but all I want is a good overall spray of the whole thing) 75% varnish and 25% white spirit:

vic4_zpsba4d0bc2.jpg

The hull is still slightly wet, as I have just finished the third light spray:

vic2_zps08b38c17.jpg

(Sorry about the state of the garage/workshop - we haven't long moved in and getting the large double garage sorted will be done next year...)

vic10_zps297ce5b2.jpg

vic9_zps00ef7366.jpg

vic5_zpsb9c4cae4.jpg

vic6_zps57daeab5.jpg

vic7_zps738a767a.jpg

vic8_zpsdadef011.jpg

vic11_zps9ab7b1ee.jpg

vic12_zpsf9d29910.jpg

vic13_zps5d882ee3.jpg

vic14_zpse2850fd5.jpg

The poop isn't fixed in place - am waiting for new poop bulkheads bits to arrive....

These are the old ones (hull shown before cleaning up and dusting...) Also, Although you can't see it very well, the sides of the gangway and steps are panelled as per the original - using PE parts. Sharp eyed amongst you will also see only 4 belaying pins on the forward most rack on the quarterdeck bulwarks. This is because I realised that with the cavil cleat in place, there wasn't room for the 5 holed rack - I have since redrawn the rack so the kit will have 5 pins, and not 4 as shown. :)

Victorypoopbulkheads1_zps590e267c.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Chris,

All I can say is excellent build log of the Victory.

I just retired and some day will  take a trip across the great pond and visit her in Portsmouth.

I will wait for the Amati Kit of the Victory, hope it will be released soon.

Joe

Chris,

All I can say is excellent build log of the Victory.

I just retired and some day will  take a trip across the great pond and visit her in Portsmouth.

I will wait for the Amati Kit of the Victory, hope it will be released soon.

Joe

Thank you, Joe.

Not sure when it'll be released, as I am still working on the development. I have been informed that my laser and PE files for the ship's boats and other stuff, including the 100 full length cannon are on their way to me from Italy.

I hope I have designed it for those who really love building the kit (it is a long build, twice as long as anything I have done before) - but I think this is due to all of the deck detail, and nothing to do with having to make the parts, as it is all pre cut. Even every hatch combing and shot garland - I hated doing these on older kits, took ages and never looked 100% right anyway, and it was so mind-numbingly boring. With this in mind, I even did the gun port opening sills in laser cut wood, along with the lids.  Same with the gratings - they are photo etched in this kit (and Revenge, Golden Hind and Bellona - this way, they can be exactly the right scale size, rather than having to make the combings (which themselves are restricted by the dimensions of the wood strip used) fit the off the shelf gratings - another little pet hate of mine. I hope I have designed it so that it's fun to build..

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Chris

Love the workshop ;) . I feel much better about mine now ^_^ . I am in the corner of my garage. I live in Florida and basements are non existent in my area. The model is simply awesome!

Best

Jaxboat

Cheers! lol.

I promised myself my new car before sorting out the garage (I spent most of my money tarting up our previous house to sell) - since we came back from Italy, all of my money has gone on house refurbishing. the line has to be drawn her - no further - I WANT my car before I do this one..). If there's one thing I love more than modelling, it's small 2-seater sports cars with big engines and track days.

logo.jpg

I'm also looking forward to the Revenge when it's released, the photos that were posted looked really great.

Chris had also mentioned his wife was looking to restart their 'Online-Hobbies' retail site but it still seems to be down. Would be great to know if they still plan to restart it.

Gary S wrote this in the beginning of this discussion. I would love to see online-hobbies return. I ordered some things there and they were alway's polite, fast and good. 

Building: San Felipe

my build log: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2586-san-felipe-by-robboxxx-mantua-panart-severely-kit-bashed/

Waiting in the wings:

Lauckstreets: Fair American

Mamoli's: Royal Louis

Gary S wrote this in the beginning of this discussion. I would love to see online-hobbies return. I ordered some things there and they were alway's polite, fast and good. 

Hi robboxxx,

Unfortunately, we no longer have time for the hobby site, as Chantelle (my wife) now works full time now we're back in the UK. It was initially set up for Chantelle, as something for her to do when we lived in Italy. She tried again, but her job recently changed, so not only does she work Monday to Friday, but is now on call-out, too.

logo.jpg

I just 'tried' to take a few pics of the quarterdeck/poop area, to show it before the new bulkheads arrive, but they didn't come out too well. If you wanted yo, you could leave out the bulkheads and have the deck 'cleared for action', as the deck (all the decks, in fact) extend right to the end of the stern - no hacking and slashing required...

vic25_zps5b44bba6.jpg

vic24_zpsbae5f84e.jpg

vic23_zps1ea80241.jpg

vic20_zpsb042e20f.jpg

vic21_zps695a878a.jpg

Seems like I go out of the way to hide the fact that the hull is wood....

vic22_zps71b91441.jpg

Gun port lids are as to scale as they can be. Too often I see way too thick lids in kits, usually at least 2mm thick! If you look at this picture I taken of the real thing, they are not that thick:

vicgunportlids_zps0cd44bae.jpg

Also note the lack of sill on the lower inside edges of the gun port openings.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg