Genesis hobby tool

Anyone out there use the Genesis hobby tool?  If you do I would like to get your impressions. 

This is a pistol grip rotary tool that looks like a Dremel Stylus but at a much cheaper price.  Reviews on Amazon are mixed but generally positive.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

I would be leery of one.  First of all, for me personally, I would hate the pistol grip.  That just seems like it would be a much less precise way of maneuvering the tool versus either a grip-less version or something like a Dremel Flex-Shaft.  Second, the reason why it probably gets mixed reviews is because it's made in China, and unfortunately Chinese-made rotary tools have a long record of mixed-bag performance.  There's a reason why rotary tools are almost universally referred to as 'Dremel tools' - because Dremel set the standard by which such tools are judged.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I agree with the other guys. Get a more well-known brand. You'll be happier for it.  Proxxon makes a very good rotary tool, or if you're on a tighter budget, Dremel. Both are great and well known in the woodworking and modeling communities. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I actually have a couple of Dremel rotary tools that I use a lot.  What I was interested in was something light weight, cordless and easy to use for drilling lots of small holes.  The Dremel Stylus looks prefect but at over $200 is a bit out of my price range.  I agree about Chinese tools but I haven't found anything other than the Stylus and Genesis Hobby tool that fills the requirement.  Anyone used one and can give a first hand report?

I've had a Stylus for a number of years. It's handy for me; used it to rough shape the Bounty Launch stem before final shaping with sanding sticks. The lithium ion battery has held up very well. Does sound like my dentist's office, but then all my Dremels sound like that. :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

On another forum someone asked if Dremel tools are made in Mexico. Here was one of the responses:

". . . this is Beth from Dremel.  I have read yours and all previous emails in regards to the manufacturing of our Dremel tools.  These ARE assembled in Mexico, however, for those that didn't know it ... our Dremel Company's parent is "Bosch Power Tools".  This is a German based company with a very high reputation.  Because we are a global company, we seek out the best prices for the parts for the assembly of our tools, world-wide, to keep the prices fair for our consumers." 

So who knows? Maybe some of the parts could come from China.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Check out the Dremel MiniMite. They make it in a rechargeable version (Dremel 7300-N/8 MiniMite 4.8-Volt Cordless Two-Speed Rotary Tool)

and one that uses standard AAs (Dremel 7000-N/5 6-Volt Cordless Two-Speed Rotary Tool). They are small and inexpensive ($25 & $22 respectively). Just two speeds but I find the slowest speed ideal for drilling small holes. I added a 3-jaw chuck to mine because I like the convenience. If you get such a chuck, be sure you get one that is compatible with that model (Dremel 4486 MultiPro Keyless Chuck ). I have one that won't work on the MiniMite . I had the rechargeable version for years but the battery finally died so I replaced it with the AA version because I had some spare Eneloops that work well.

Cheers -

John

Check out the Dremel MiniMite. They make it in a rechargeable version (Dremel 7300-N/8 MiniMite 4.8-Volt Cordless Two-Speed Rotary Tool)

and one that uses standard AAs (Dremel 7000-N/5 6-Volt Cordless Two-Speed Rotary Tool). They are small and inexpensive ($25 & $22 respectively). Just two speeds but I find the slowest speed ideal for drilling small holes. I added a 3-jaw chuck to mine because I like the convenience. If you get such a chuck, be sure you get one that is compatible with that model (Dremel 4486 MultiPro Keyless Chuck ). I have one that won't work on the MiniMite . I had the rechargeable version for years but the battery finally died so I replaced it with the AA version because I had some spare Eneloops that work well.

Cheers -

John

Hi John

I tried the MiniMite and it is a fine tool.  Only problem I had with it was when I had to do a long series of holes like fasteners in deck planks.  After a short time my hand would start to cramp up.  I find a pistol grip drill easier to use in these cases and wanted to find one as light as the MiniMite.  I do have a 3-jaw chuck on the MiniMite and it is so much better than the collets.  I found that the Dremel spindle is about .5mm smaller than the european or asian tools and only a chuck made for the Dremel spindle will work with Dremel tools.  On the other hand the Proxxon 8mm spindle seems to be universal amoung european and asian tools.

Well I went ahead and bought one.  It was used a one on eBay that cost all of $15 including shipping.  It should be here in a few days and I will post my impressions of it.