I would imagine it is a piece of Ramin some 6mm x 5mm x 750mm long but as I am not familiar with this particular kit (?), so please don't quote me! In the meantime perhaps you could look on the kit build logs here to find your particular model.

Ramin is a yellow coloured wood, which is medium grained. This is an image I pulled off a Google search, and is a reasonable approximation of what AL typically supplies in their kits: 

post-1526-0-16724400-1428216527_thumb.jpg

As for 6mm x 5mm x 730mm, time to get your ruler out. That is an almost square dowel. Pull out all the long yellow squarish dowels from your kit and measure them. 

(EDIT) I should note that 6mm x 5mm x 730mm seems like a very odd shape. If it is for planking, are you sure that the instructions don't say ... 6mm x 0.5mm x 730mm? 

Edited by KeithW

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Given that this is nearly square in cross section, if by main stais - you mean main stay:

In some vessels - at the level of the first ratline - there is a wooden batten, lashed to each shroud, that acts as a spreader.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Greetings J...

At that length (730mm = 28.74in.) I would think that it is a major structural element such as the keel that attaches to the keel former after the planking is done. Dowels are usually round in cross section.

wq3296

• 4 weeks later...

Please be careful seeking supplies of this timber as some are endangered species and heavily protected through the Lacey Act in the US.

Sumatra’s peat swamp forests are important habitat for ramin trees. The Sumatran ramin tree species are CITES protected species. The logging and trade in ramin has been illegal in Indonesia since 2001. Internationally, any illegal trade in Indonesian ramin is prohibited under the UN Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES). Indonesian government maps show that 800,000ha (28%) of Sumatra’s peat swamp forest was cleared between 2003 and 2009. Some 22% of this clearance was in areas currently allocated to APP’s log suppliers.[4]

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.