Boxwood compaired to Swiss Pear in planking in 1/16" thickness

oy Mates

I have been using boxwood for planking my last ship and was looking at Swiss Pear for a change in look for my next Planking. The ship is the 1/80 scale Mary Rose kit by Caldercraft.

The planks will be either 1/32 or 1/16" thick by 5/32" wide. It would be the 1/32" thick if I double plank the hull or 1/16" thick if I single plank the hull. I am leaning torward the single plank with using 1/16" thick planks.

I have done both single and double planking and have come to the same conclution as Chuck ,why do the same thing two times.  But if the 1/16" thick swiss pear is harder to bend in this thickness ,I might have to do a double planking after all.

My question for those who have used boxwood and Swiss pear for planking is: Is the Swiss Pear much different than the boxwood in planking?

Is the Swiss pear harder to bend than the boxwood in either direction? or are they pretty much the same for the 1/16" thickness?

Thanks

Keith

I single planked my Confederacy in 1/16th Swiss Pear - it bends easily and is a all around terrific wood for model ship building.  I may use it exclusively on my next build.  

Boxwood is great too - its all comes down to personal taste (do you want a lighter model or a darker one)

My experience has been the same as Joel's above. The Swiss Pear is a bit easier to sand, but it's also a bit easier to accidentally mark later.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

• 2 weeks later...