VOC ship "Surabaya" by Piet - Mid 17th Century, 1:80

Hello Piet, I am glad to hear that you and Gwen are safe.  We were headed out your way in May and got as far as Perry, Fl going to meet Diane's 2 boys in Melbourne.  We were going to try to meet with ya'll after meeting the boys, but Diane had a stroke and we immediately came back home.  She then had 2 more strokes and spent 3 weeks in the Hospital and rehab.  We came home and she had another one.  It's now been a month since the last one so hopefully there won't be any more.  It seems now that dementia is moving in, so chances are we will not be RVing anymore.  I'm not sure how her recovery is going to be yet but so far it is slow.  We had 23" of rain and the lake flooded by 5'6" the highest it's ever been.  It got within 2' of getting in the house.  My garage flooded and my Ferrari got water in the trunk, interior and engine so it is totaled.  Still waiting for Insurance Co. to contact me.  2017 has not been a very good year.  Be safe my friend, and I hope you weather this storm safely.  tell Gwen hello and our prayers go out to you.  These storms are something else!

Take care,

John & Diane 

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Piet...you and your wife  stay safe!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

9 hours ago, Piet said:

Hoi Dave and Carl and who else may be listening in. It's Saturday evening at 2134 here in Palm Coast, Florida and all's well. No wind - yet and just a few showers with some sun peeking through. Gwen and i are all prepped to receive Irma and I'll be outside on deck shaking my fist at Irma like the flying Dutchman used to do :dancetl6:  Tomorrow evening will be the start of some bad weather but our house is build to current code to withstand a cat 4 head on. We just had hurricane proof windows installed to relieve Gwen's fear for breaking glass.

I'll report back in shore leave when it's all over.

Cheers,

stay safe my friend

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Great to hear from you Piet.  As I figured, you've got your home engineered to stand up to about anything Irma will throw at it.... short of devastating storm surge, which I assume will not likely hit you on the eastern coast according to her westerly tracking.  Then the numerous "twisters" that spin off from these things are another major concern.  (that's what got us in Louisiana when Rita ripped up my little factory)

So....We're gonna be worried like a mother hen for you and Gwen 'til this thing is over.  

Stay safe old man.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thanks everyone for your concern. Gwen and I fared quite well, slept on and off through the night. No damage to the house or property. Yes, we lost power at the first stiff breeze.  Power was restored two days later. No spoiled food.  It also took the router power unit out so no computer and phone service, AT&T's idea of wireless all in one. Did not think about buying a new car charger for our new Galaxy 8 phones so we had to conserve battery power for possible emergency calls. One reason I couldn't call anyone. It took me two days to clear our yard of all the tree debris blown in and on top the roof blown in from neighbors properties. Still some stuff to take care of.

Areas just a few miles south of us like Ormond Beach and Daytona beach had a lot more damage but some by tornadoes.

So very sorry to hear about John and Diana (Texxn5). I'll try to contact you tomorrow after my semi-annual oncologist visit.

I fixed our router this afternoon and have gotten my computer back and the phone and Gwen's TV, which is very important - - - to her at least ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

On 9/9/2017 at 8:30 PM, texxn5 said:

Still waiting for Insurance Co. to contact me.  2017 has not been a very good year.

Sorry to hear about your troubles John. Sending good thoughts for your wife.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Piet,

Good to hear you both are still up and running, without major damages. Take care not to do foolish things while clearing the yard and the roof!

My best wishes to Gwen and you

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Piet,

Good to hear from you. We are confronted here in the Netherlands with pictures from Sint Maarten, that took the full force of the hurricane.

Never realized that an hurricane could be so bad. Glad to hear that you have not too much damage.

Jan

Edited by amateur

glad to hear you made it though alright good buddy! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

So glad you two are ok. I was very worried when I saw Jacksonville on the news.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thanks Michael, greatly appreciated - things are slowly progressing with her health.  Prayers are always welcome.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Piet, i hope everything is getting back to normal, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks to all for your interest and prayers. We did luck out.

I have tried to contact Texxn5 John but couldn't get through, sorry John. Gwen and I wish you and Diane all the best.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thank you very much Lawrence for your concern. Glad to hear you and your wife had a great time in Ontario.

My next stop is at your build log and a few others till bed time.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 1 month later...

Good to hear from you Lawrence.  Yup, we all need some R and R at times. As far as getting back to the VOC ship Surabaya, well, she's taking a backseat for a while. I am still studying physiology and nutrition besides the much needed yard work. I am also spending a few hours each week at painting pictures, just completed a colored pencil drawing of a ghost crab. Hope to be able to submit that one in the international society.

Nex on the agenda is the start with the model of Hr. Ms. Java. I received the kit in today from Pacific Cross Roads in St. Petersburg, Russia. That's the Netherlands Navy cruiser my father was killed on during the battle of the Java Sea, February 27, 1942.

The kit looks impressive with a gezillion parts.  Wish me luck with this one.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi Piet

It’s great that you’ve got the Ms Java kit now.  After having read of the significance that this ship has for both you and Gwen, I have no doubt that you will do it justice.  

I look forward to following along.

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thank you both Patrick and Jan for checking in. Yes, I'm sorry to say that Surabaya is still in the back burner. The Java is indeed a priority project Jan. In the meantime I have been checking availability of casting polymer resin and dies for a possible action diorama. I have also been assembling the appropriate photos of the ship that may be of interest to all.

There are the sundry supplies to be bought such as the four different paint colors and glue.

Perhaps this weekend I'll start the build log.

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

good to hear you and the Mrs. are well.   I gotta work the weekend......but I'll surely tune in to get a good seat.   look'in forward to it!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

And for those followers who do not know.

Here you can find them. 39 rather detailed drawings. 

http://www.gahetna.nl/collectie/archief/ead/index/zoekterm/Marine tekeningen/aantal/20/eadid/4.MST#c01:0.

I can not give a direct link to Java, go to entry 1.2.21, there they are (as well as drawings of some other famous ships)

I like the longitudinal section: you can almost put it to you wall as art: http://www.gahetna.nl/collectie/archief/inventaris/gahetnascans/eadid/4.MST/inventarisnr/3528/level/file

Jan

Edited by amateur

Hello Denis and Jan, good to see you here again.

No Jan, I do not have that URL and thanks for sending it, I will certainly look at them and if possible obtaining them, if there is no copy right.  A few years ago I did obtain drawings for building a model at 1:50 scale forgets to have them. Besides, at 1:50 it would be much too large for my home and have to reduce it to at least 1:100.  I also need to build the Musi for Gwen so this 1:350 scale Java will do just fine.

I REALLY appreciate you finding so many good links and info on things I am doing.  

Last Saturday evening the hard drive in my big iMac augered in and is now at the fixit shop, hoping they can retrieve all the data. My external hard drive also crapped out due to the hurricane and power failure.

It'll be some time before I can start a build log for Java and it will be slow progress.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra