Pelikaan Dutch Beamtrawler 1999 by kees de mol - FINISHED - scale 1/75

awesome process Kees  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The chimney has a simple shape at first glance but I got some drawings of it and then you find out its a rather complex shape. There are some curved, round shape which run into each other. And there are some details which form a nice challenge to me.59ca73c5ea65b_Pelikaan(119).thumb.jpg.66be5360d0b1ec01bf5864291bd383a3.jpg59ca73c25382a_Pelikaan(118).thumb.jpg.a4e9675664fc4510a7857c0bc4c41579.jpg59ca73be6d2c4_Pelikaan(117).thumb.jpg.804ba2b6850285cde3837906105d1592.jpg59ca73baf22f3_Pelikaan(112).thumb.jpg.dfc9b806277ba819a83106c3598263d9.jpg59ca73b6d3024_Pelikaan(111).thumb.jpg.a39337a39b674f7136f01e1af29ac5e8.jpg59ca73b34e6f8_Pelikaan(110).thumb.jpg.4800640b1593f16c99f2a2037645559c.jpg59ca73af8dc51_Pelikaan(109).thumb.jpg.f5324a127d19bbe059e59b8cdac249d1.jpg
59ca73ab8af73_Pelikaan(108).thumb.jpg.92f78777068db3451787814436508ca9.jpg

offcourse I will add the details later

Edited by kees de mol

Fantastic stuff Cees.  This mold making thing is a mystery to me, lots to learn yet.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

awesome process Kees!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thank you all for the motivations guys. I like your work very much too. This is a great forum!

Now on with the building. Next week I will focus me on the details because I missed that last week.

(I am currently also building the moulds for the GRP-hull. But **** that polyester smells bad :o And glassfibers irritates so mutch! )

Thank you all for the motivations guys. I like your work very much too. This is a great forum!

Now on with the building. Next week I will focus me on the details because I missed that last week.

(I am currently also building the moulds for the GRP-hull. But **** that polyester smells bad :o And glassfibers irritates so mutch! )

Hi Kees

Thanks. Your comment about the fumes from the polyester reminds me that safety is paramount when using these materials. Hopefully, you're doing it in a well ventilated area?

Cheers

Patrick

Yes I laminate with two windows fully open. And to keep the temperature high (15 degrees celcius) I've placed twee electric heaters next to the mould. Then after laminating I close the door (which is air sealed with rubber strips.) But the smell is there anyway. Its even in my workclothes so I have to leave them in the hobbyroom. Better is to work outside but the temperature is much to low

When I worked with epoxy I never had any problems beacause it has so little smell but I found out epoxy is way more harmfull for humans than polyester.

Here I made a start with the winchhouse. I couldn't build this without the original drawings I got. The polyester hull is also a bit closer to completion but I will post the photo's when I have some more results.

59ca741d22d7d_Pelikaan(123).thumb.jpg.7e97a71aca13e9dd5e6370881e33ea6e.jpg
To be continued

Edited by kees de mol

Super and very inspiring work Kees,

it`s lovely to watch the experience you gain with this material and its possibilities for shaping / resembling model steel structures

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I went building on the chimney's. They needed lots of detaills after I had cast them. They are finished for 75% now so I have some work to do yet.

59ca745573f61_Pelikaan(137).thumb.JPG.b2bf51971c3c574300d4fcc51dff2151.JPG
59ca744f947a9_Pelikaan(135).thumb.jpg.553fa50131d2a1af8188ada11d60d8c8.jpg
See you with the next up-date

Edited by kees de mol

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the searchlights. Lot of parts and very small to make. I also used the lathe to make some signal lights (the glasses) There are 13 glasses per chimney. I made a toolbit to make the pattern in the clear plastic.
59ca74b206141_Pelikaan(143).thumb.jpg.fb6ee7d931142ca66e3b205d7417eb4f.jpg59ca74ae624dd_Pelikaan(142).thumb.jpg.e1cc54f767914f71d6625ebe6c2ea464.jpg
59ca74aade55a_Pelikaan(140).thumb.jpg.424bb3a0ec6cffc333844fdfab27288d.jpg

Next update i hope to show the finished chimneys

Edited by kees de mol

sweet looking search light  ;)   you make your own decals too?    what program do you have?   I have the Testor's  'decal it' standard edition {it's put out by  'sure thing'}.  they come out nice,  but this program has a sort of transparency issue.  I don't have the means to darken them, or adjust the pixels.  so,  it limits where I can use them......mostly on light colored backgrounds.   I can change the background to match the color I'm using,  but there are so many off shades and hues,  it tough to get a good match.   does the manufacturer have a web address?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice work on the search light Cees.  All that mold making and stuff is just a mystery to me, you are a genius. 

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

what program do you have?

I used a programm Paint.net to scale down the pictures. And I also use Testors white decalpaper. I dont know much about it and just tried it and it worked okay.

Very nice work on the search light Cees.  All that mold making and stuff is just a mystery to me, you are a genius. 

Cheers,

I am sure you can do it too. I am not much of a genius. I have just a lot of fun building like you all do with your wooden ships.

I don't have the talent to follow Kees

:huh: I think it's right to say I have some talent (Thank God) but to say you can't follow me that's a bit exaggerated. There is so many talent here and I enjoy all the buildinglogs. Building with wood is for me a very big mistery

Kind regards, Kees

I use photo shop......sounds like they're pretty much the same.   I also use the Testor's decal paper,  both clear and white.   knowing that printers don't do white,  I've been able to print white decals by altering the background color,  like I did with the Andrea Gail.  white decal paper would be a good choice,  since the white decal film will act as a backing for the image and produce a bolder finish.   the only problem I see there though,  is that laying the decal on a different color surface,  would create a 'sign'  effect.  I saw this while trying to do the depth markers for the Cutty Sark {this build started me doing my own decals}.

I think you'd do well with wood Kees........you have the eye,  the skill,  and the talent.  most of all.....imagination  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

marvelous work Kees,

you sure know where to place all those lovely details  :rolleyes:  :)

Nils   

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 weeks later...

Today I did the last things to the polyester mold. I cut all the edges sanded and everything. Then it was time to find out if both halves of the mold wanted to separate. First I very carefully put a chisel between the halves and into the gap I tapped wooden wedges. It took some time and effort but suddenly The first halve separated from the wooden hull and after some tapping the other half released.
I am very happy because it was quite a lot of work and it was very exciting if everything would work the way I wanted.

59ca754eb5be8_Pelikaan(184).thumb.jpg.9a57598f04f8e1a97dfb8df08d53f865.jpg59ca754a5744f_Pelikaan(181).thumb.jpg.f489dcd70bd7edfe84850c064a821e03.jpg59ca754724ea5_Pelikaan(180).thumb.jpg.28633e4e2fd705d80f9a177361e232ea.jpg59ca754264e35_Pelikaan(179).thumb.jpg.e812e6eda31dd3eda4782d7503125b87.jpg59ca753f291f5_Pelikaan(178).thumb.jpg.30a879076e3d181653dbb30a41c67c18.jpg

Pelikaan (185).jpg

Edited by kees de mol

Nice work, Kees. Breaking off the mold is always scary.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks like a great mold Kees.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

WOW!

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

You should be proud of such a nice mold.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray