SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

A masterpiece and the rest Nils! Thanks for sharing your immense skills and your museum. 

Ian

Many thanks to Pawel, Jeff, Michael, Ian, B.E., and Sailor123....  ,

Pawel,

thanks for that amimated applause...

Jeff,

will be starting a seperate new build log very soon...

Michael,

Thanks for your nice words, I`m pleased you liked it...

Ian,

Many thanks for your words, 

glad you liked my little collection..

B.E.,

I am myself surprized how relatively fast the collection grows, thanks for your words, much appreciated

Sailor1234...,

please find my post of Monday this week, in answer to Jeffs question. It will be a Mediteranian, North African Chebec

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Moin Germanus,

nice compliment, much appreciated

Vielen Dank, und Grüsse nach Günzburg

Cheers, Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

My hearty congratulations, Nils.  Seeing your fabulous museum again, I have to say that you are not intimidated by large builds!!!

I'm looking forward to the Chebec!

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Martin,

thanks for your words, right with reference to large builds, but the time has come to concentrate on smaller projects now...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hallo Nils

You are a true artist.

Congratulations to finishing a great project.

Peter

Peter,

I thank you for that nice compliment, much appreciated...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Kees,

thank you so much for your compliment and your nice words. Yes, I`m very pleased with the model, its been my most ambitious one to date and there were many for me new techniques involved....

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 4 months later...

Nils, so sorry I missed the conclusion of this build.  Wow!  Really amazing work on this and the other models in your personal museum.  Absolutely incredible detail and precision.  Your work on such complex curves for models like this, the Pamir and Gorch Fock and really impressive.  I also look to your Pegasus log often when working on mine.

By the way, your wife is a saint for helping and allowing for such large models to be displayed.  When I finished my first model (the Badger), my wife was concerned that I'd fill the house with models.  I told her I work so slowly that she won't have to worry about that ever happening.

Congratulations again my friend.  I just signed up for your Chebec log which is going to be another stunner :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for your kind words for the conclusion of this build, and of course also for the other builds, for which I saw you had a deep look at. I`m pleased that you liked the models.

Yes I`m very happy that my wife agrees, that as long as the models stay in my hobby sphere, its up to me how they are arranged and displayed. For the Chebec very much to my regret I unfortunately have no mooring place yet.

Nils 

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 5 years later...

Dear Nils,

Even though this forum post is 7 years old, I have a question to ask you. Please could you tell me where did you get the drawings of the cross section of the hull, the rudder part, and the boss arms for the prop shaft. I've looked high and low on the internet and I haven't been able to locate the source of the drawings. I am looking to make my own radio controlled model in 1:200. 

Sincerely,

Sir Haydn.

• 3 months later...

Hi Sir Hayden,

I`m very sorry that I did`nt look up quoted posts on this thread regurlary. By doing so I just came across your question per incedence today......

Yes you`re right it was`nt easy also for me to find adequate information on this ship.

There has been a digitalisation of old technical journals around year 1900 called Polytechnisches Journal and here I found the information I desired.

I`ll give you the link to the Journal, Band overview of the year 1900. There you can go through the list in the link and search for Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse related technical articals with good illustrations for details. This all unfortunately is only in German language

I recommend that you click directly in the overview on Seite (page) 1, 39, 53, 71

From this information I had all I needed for planing the build. Besides that I searched the web for pics of the KWdG fitting out and the proportions.

Hope this is of help for you, and I wish you good luck and success.

https://dingler.bbaw.de/article-listings/pj315.html

Regards

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed