SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Nils,
May I offer a suggestion; instead of sanding the hull, why not try a spoke shave. It would save a lot of time and dust....
That is the way I fair all my planking.
Beautiful ship, thanks for sharing with us.
Larry

Hi Larry,

welcome to this build, you made me curious about the spoke shave technique, I`ll have to look it up first, as I`m not familiar with it, but it sounds very interesting.....

Thanks for you kind input, well appreciated

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

YIKES!  That circular saw set-up scares me just to look at it.  Now I know the truth about you, Nils:  you seem like a disciplined engineer devoted to the quiet hobby of ship modelling.  In fact, you really like flirting with danger!  :o :o And I thought my chain saw was scary!

On a milder note -- the rudder fits nicely. 

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Larry,

welcome to this build, you made me curious about the spoke shave technique, I`ll have to look it up first, as I`m not familiar with it, but it sounds very interesting.....

Thanks for you kind input, well appreciated

Nils

Hi Larry,

I meanwhile had a look at the spokeshave function on U-tube. Trust it acts basicly as my little balsa hand plane does. I used this handplane for fairing the  pine-planked hull of my "Heinrich Kaiser" steamship. Thanks again for your suggestion.

There is a minor handicap when using either spokeshave or plane, its the  possible opposite grain run of the wooden planks next to one another in longitudinal direction under the shaving blade. The grain run would have to be sorted to the same side before applying the planks, in order to get a pit-free surface. But I agree with you, the degree of dust in the air is terrible when sanding, it settles everywhere on everything in the room, and making curled chips on the floor can be sweeped up easily

Here a pic of my balsa Plane, (for use of razor blades) I use for normal wood just as well.....

Nils

post-3445-0-48498400-1435222778_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-20783700-1435222782_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

YIKES!  That circular saw set-up scares me just to look at it.  Now I know the truth about you, Nils:  you seem like a disciplined engineer devoted to the quiet hobby of ship modelling.  In fact, you really like flirting with danger!  :o :o And I thought my chain saw was scary!

On a milder note -- the rudder fits nicely. 

Cheers,

Martin

Martin,

trust you sure are right, we should`nt tell anybody further.....

Thanks for your comment on the rudder..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

John and Bob,

thank you very much for your kind appreciations...

For the problematic area I`m using narrower planks, (before final shaping and trimming) to enable the curves better

Nils

post-3445-0-02228600-1435223860_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils,

Yes the spoke shave is similar to a plane. However, IMO, it's much more efficient. With cross grain you can just turn the s/s around and push it the other way; or you can skew the blade angle, say 45 degrees; take a little or a lot of wood off. The s/s actually 'shaves' off the wood, smooth cut. Once you get the hang of it you do not need to sand. I must have a dozen of them, different sizes and bottom shapes.

Come to think of it, it's more like scraping...maybe...

What ever you decide to do, please don't stop.

Larry

Hi Larry,

thanks for your explaination, I guess I`ll just have to try it out to get the feeling for the spokeshave....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 9

slowly the streamline underwater- hull is developing as planed, after fairing it may need a little filler material here and there to get the surface and the spheric areas for smooth transitions......

Nils

post-3445-0-67599900-1435417922_thumb.jpg

The last attached planks are only 5 mm wide. 

post-3445-0-08500800-1435417925_thumb.jpg

the next horizontal planks will have to match with the curvature of the propshaft housings

post-3445-0-68478900-1435417926_thumb.jpg

here two steelers are fitted, whereby the darker colored wood one is spheric shaped. The small wood piece obove the tailcone half is a bit of filler wood

post-3445-0-37039500-1435417928_thumb.jpg

the four 5 mm planks- portion here matches with the 13mm + 8 mm wide planks  onwards to the bow

post-3445-0-03259200-1435417930_thumb.jpg

The upper stern area will be timmed for vertical planking from the aft sheer downwards

post-3445-0-40508200-1435417931_thumb.jpg

Starboard side so far OK, now the port side is brought to the same status

post-3445-0-52331100-1435417933_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-65254900-1435417935_thumb.jpg

the lines can now be seen clearly, and still the whole hull is safely mounted to the "slipway" board, I will take it off when the planking is completed

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Looking real nice. Looks real tricky around those prop shafts but it's coming along good. Great work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Beautiful work Nils, She's looking fantastic well done

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Many thanks - S.Coleman - Nigel - Pete, and all the "likes"....

S. Coleman,

yes, it`s a bit tricky, but I think it will look quite good afterwards...

Nigel,

I`m thinking of applying a minimum bit of polyester  filler, where the wooden skin may become a little thin during fairing. Larry`s suggestion to use a spoke shave is still in my mind, but not for the narrow curves...

Pete,

thanks for your nice comment...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils,

the stern-counters of my KWdG and the Titanic were built up from layers of wood. This was then joined to the hull itself. My Titanic hull was built using the same method as described in my Hohenzollern-Modell thread, my KWdG hull was built from foam-blocks as it was used to produce a mold.

As you're building overhead you could also adopt the stern the same way I built mine for your hull.

DSCN1156a.jpg

Regards

Peter

Peter,

thank you very much for explaining your hull building method for Titanic and KWdG. I also had a good look at your Hohenzollern hull, and fully understand the method. You have created a shallow but hollow space between inner and outer strip-planking, and all is held well together by the 2nd layer of planking, which also smooths out possible slight  curvature deviations of the outer skin. Well done !

It is a smart method to save weight (like the prefabricated walls of wooden Homes).

The wood -layer  shaping of the stern portions, like your pic shows, is self explaining

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

This is quite a task Nils. You seem to be handling it in your usual capable fashion. Can't wait to see the finished result.

Bob

Thank you very much Bob,

I`ll try to get everthing smooth and rounded, without applying too much of filler material. If I knock gently to the relatively thin outside skin it is as if I were building the resonanz corpus of a violin or so... (light, stiff, tight, hard). Expect the whole hull to be a lightweight construct when I take it from the "slip board". The hull must be smooth enough afterwards to enable an optimal metal plating

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Mmdd,

lovely Pictures of a super built model. This is very tempting and sure is a great help, many thanks. Would you have enough pics to start a real Build log, this model is worth its own log here at MSW ? Absolute Museum Quality.

How did you do the stunning golden Stern decoration ? that Looks great !

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Silently watching with ... uhh...ohh...ahh... omg ...

Fantastic work

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Who ever build these models did superb work. I'm sure Nils can rise to this professional standards.

Montani semper liberi  Happy modeling

Crackers    :D :D :D

I built the middle one, dated July 2005 it is now in the German National Maritime Museum in Bremehaven. The top model I believe was built by an American company there are more pictures of it in their homepage, the bottom one looks like one of the bulders' models.

Peter

Hi Peter,

thanks very much for identifying your super and masterly built model (pic 2) . The Museum in Bremerhaven now can be very proud of owning / displaying this beautiful heritage four-stacker. Bremen was the home harbour for the KWdG

The first pic  I trust can possibly be the recently completed masterpiece of the Russian, St. Petersburger model building group "Qvartett", if I`m not mistaken....

The third pic looks as if it were a "Cinderella" short before she meets the prince. What a pitty that this Model must be hidden under dust and plastic somewhere in a forgotten basement, or ....? Who knows if it may be brought to bloom as it deserves again.... If it is a builder`s model, it may be 100 years old or more and aftger restorration be an exponate candidate for a maritime museum

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Who ever build these models did superb work. I'm sure Nils can rise to this professional standards.

Montani semper liberi  Happy modeling

Crackers    :D :D :D

Crackers,

thanks for your kind comment, I think I wo`nt be able to perform professional standards as those 3 super models are comprising, as the bar is set very high, but the way they are done is very encouraging for me to do best I can

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

many thanks mmdd,

for explaining the Background to the lovely models of This ship.

Congrats to "Qvartet", I dip my hat, the four gentlemen have created a fantastic build of this wonderful ship.

I see I was right with presuming the subject an over 100 years old model (and in scale 1:50, what a "beast")..., hopefuly the University may find a Sponsor to enable an authentic restoration of the "sleeping Beauty"...?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

some progress on planking.....

Nils

post-3445-0-97789900-1435831480_thumb.jpg

whilst the stb side is still being followed up.....

post-3445-0-70867400-1435831483_thumb.jpg

and the glue not dry yet.....

post-3445-0-90319400-1435831485_thumb.jpg

the port side has already integrated the bilge keel and is around the port bilge bend

post-3445-0-51783600-1435831487_thumb.jpg

as all planks are also glued edge to edge in longitudinal direction (single layer planking), it shows here, the advantage of building-in stringers, because  the pegs, pins and clamps can easily be fixed in the right places...., and they serve as fine Framework to glue on

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils,

The beautiful hull lines are starting to really show!

Really enjoying watching your KWdG come to life!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hi Nils

Nice! However....Somehow, I think you must be really itching to get the planking done, so that you can lay the first metal plate! I know, because I would be, if I were you.

Nonetheless, I'm sure you're still loving seeing the hull take shape after each additional plank is laid, just as much as we all are.

I'm happily looking forward to your next update, as always.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thank you Nigel and Patrick,

and the "likes"...

Nigel,

I`m quite glad that pics  of models of this ship, made by others, were able to be presented here on MSW as well, so that the lines on the final ship can be seen, next to the old black / white photographs  I had....

Patrick,

yes, thanks, you`re realy feeling with me, but it`s still some way of thorrow fairing and filler application work ahead, before the plating can go on. The wooden surface has to be top smooth, otherwise it would show up every dent, every scratch, and unenenness, when the self-adhesive metal foil is rubbed down on the wooden surface. Fortunately I still have some of the aluminium foil I used on the other ships. Hope it will still be enough to cover this new hull as well.

I was hoping to hold the ordered spoke-shave for trials in Hands, but we have postal workers srtike in greater Hamburg Region in the moment with millions of letter and parcel delivery backlog

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I do the same thing with my belt sander......stay safe my friend  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye,

is your belt sander  (a hand held sander) like for instance Proxon offers in their program....

or a stationary combination one ?

I also tried my hand held, electronic speed regulation triangle vibrition sander, it works well depending on grit size of the grinding patches. But that also creates tons of dust..., but at least it`s quite good to controll on the surface

Nils

post-3445-0-10632200-1435852692_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

mine's a hand held one.........I lock the button and set it upside down in a milk crate.   one of these days,  I might get an orbital sander...a bit smaller and more compact  ;)

again.......your hull looks awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch