Absolutly Amazing!

Some pictures look like an authentic witchcraft job...

Do not understand how you change from 2D to 3D. Can you explain us this a little bit. On other thing, Are you able from the model in 3D to get a full set of plans to make her for real? The question might be pretty obvious but I only work in 2D and I´m not familiar with the 3D stuff.

Best wishes Shipwrigt!

Daniel.

Hi.

WOW ...says it all. I could list of loads of words but none would do your build justice.

I have Solidworks and never got around to using it.. Having seen this is a real inspiration to me and I guess others :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Brilliant work,

I have been playing around with the idea of doing a similar project with the same plans. I am hoping to construct a 3D model while also actually building the model for real.

I was wondering which drawing from the book you refered to in order to obtain the inner surface for the frames?  Is this done from the cross sections in the book of the different frames? Or is their an easier way?

Thank you so much for the help, and the inspirational work.

best regards,

Experiment

Absolutly Amazing!

Some pictures look like an authentic witchcraft job...

Do not understand how you change from 2D to 3D. Can you explain us this a little bit. On other thing, Are you able from the model in 3D to get a full set of plans to make her for real? The question might be pretty obvious but I only work in 2D and I´m not familiar with the 3D stuff.

Best wishes Shipwrigt!

Daniel.

If you had a 3d CNC machine you could produce the frames from a wood blank. Try looking on youtube "import CAD or DWG into Sketchup"

Edited by timtom1

<p>Current Build: HMS Pandora 1:48 scale

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for answering Timtom.

I have no CNC machine. I have in mind that Sherline mill but it will have to wait, quite expensive to my walet... Rather than sketchup or 3Dmax I prefer to use AutoCAD or similars because are drawing programs pretty pretty accurate. You can actually work with things at 1:1. I guess sketchup is more a Design program. I might be wrong.

Where is ppddry anyway?!

Daniel.

Absolutely AMAZING!!  Seems like witchcraft to me, but really inspirational to me.  Having dabbled in 2D I know how much time you  must have spent on your project!

Best

Pierre

Just Started: Golden Hind scratch build

Previous - Scratch Built :Mayflower  HMS Myrmidon 

Kit: HMB Endeavour

+/- 20 RC Boats:Tugs,Yachts, Skimmers 

4 Miniature Freestyle Sailing Boats

Some updates to this topic...

I´ve tried the Inventor from Autodesk and It´s working very well for me. It´s a whole new world. You can download a free version for students for ONE year (you must register). Here´s the link: http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=download_center

And here´s a video of what you can expect from the program...http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=80mdwh29ETU#t=960

Hope you enjoy it!!

Daniel.

Buongiorno a Voi , i commenti servono a poco , ma , le immagini dicono tutto la passione dell'AUTORE

Grazie per quello che fai per il MODELLISMO

Francesco

Translation: Good morning to you, comments are of little use, but the pictures say it all the passion AUTHOR
Thank you for what you do for the MODEL

Francesco:  English only please.  Solo in inglese per favore.

Edited by mtaylor
Translation via Google by Moderator.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, PPDRY

I've sent you a PM.

I've recently been working on my own CAD HMS Pandora. I have some difficulty with modelling the inner surface of the hull.

It would be awesome if you could explain a bit what your method was in arriving at both the inner surface of the frames and the hull.

Still blown away by your work

• 2 months later...

I'm a 3D modeler and all I can say is: WOW! ..... <15 minutes of silence>.....WOW!!

I've seen all kinds of wizardry by 3d artists, the modelling, attention to details, patience required... but then I stumbled upon MSW while searching for ship plans and was struck away by the craftsmanship of the people doing scratchbuilds. pure perfection!! for the last 3 weeks I'm literally wiping saliva off my desk while looking at various build logs... and then this again!! great, more saliva... ;-)

cheers!

Denis

Current Build: HMS Pandora 3D modeling

Swan Class HMS Pegasus for Admiralty Models 3D Build

My other 3D work: Artstation

Hi ppddry;

Absolutely wonderful draughting work.  The level of detail incorporated is something that would reward many hours of studying your drawings,  and there would still be more to find.

One very small point,  given by someone who knows he can never equal what you have done here,  but I hope you would like to know it,  is that the knee of the head tapered forwards,  and was much narrower below the figurehead than where it was bolted to the stem,  which you show correctly.  However,  the standard in the head,  at the top of the knee,  was narrower,  and almost parallel sided,  and did not follow the taper of the timbers below it,  leaving a ledge where the standard sat on the knee.  The leading edge in the upper part of the knee was also rounded over,  quite noticeably at the top,  diminishing to nothing as it went down.

If this has been left as a chamfer deliberately,  apologies for raising it before you have finished.

All the best,

Mark P

Edited by Mark P
Point was not explained clearly enough.

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Uhhhhhhhhh yeah. I really don't know how words can describe this project.  This is worthy of the ANATOMY of THE SHIP SERIES. The teaching potential for this work is beyond measure. This has the potential for a practicum and a book, and a real 1:1 build should someone have the money.

You sir are an artist.

Author of the Submarine Thrillers

OF ICE AND STEEL and EPITAPH

It has been a long time since the last time I visited this website, check the messages (I am very sorry that I did not check them and reply earlier), or updated the model. A lot of things happened over these years, and I had much less time to indulge myself in my hobby than before.

I made small progress on the model over the years, but still far from completion. As can be seem from the attached pictures, the beakhead and bowsprit are completed, with their standing rigging in place. The 6-pr guns are also placed at their ports.

20161004c_resize.png

20130919b_resize.png

20161004b_resize.png

20161004a_resize.png

Best regards,

Jingyang

Current build: HMS Pandora (1779) in 3D