Problem extracting wood parts - they keep breaking

I'm building the Endeavour (Artesania Latina, 1:60). The cut-out outline of parts in manzonia are virtually impossible to extract. The outline cuts are only superficial so I have had to resort to different methods to try to free them. I have tried everything e.g. Stanley (box) knife, chisel, coping saw etc. but the wood always breaks along the grain. Is this a common occurrence? Any suggestions.

Ted

Hi Ted, use a Stanley knife. Instead of making a single high pressure pass, try lots of light cuts. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

I have found that the thinner the blade the better the chance of not breaking any parts and as Keith said, take light cuts rather than doing it in one cut.  AN Xacto blade or in my opinion the best is a scalpel blade as they are very thin & very sharp.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Or (but you can only do that when the backside is out of sight, or should be painted), use woodglue to stick a piece of paper to the backside, instead of the masking tape.

One other that worked fo me (but I did - nicely aligned and square - windows in a tugboat) is to use a very thin drill to mark the endpoints of the cut, and place a second cut on the backside of the wood.

And try using a small as possible knife. I like the swan morton no 11 blade. Designed a a surgical knife, sharp enough to separate your fingertips from where they belong, but also very, very thin at the tip.

Jan

Edited by amateur

• 2 weeks later...