a tilt-a-whirl positioning fixture

Hello, I wandered in through a space/time portalrfrom from another artisans' universe, but here's something that might be useful to shipbuilders

(I'm sorry, you'll need to tilt your head to the left; I can't get the pics to cooperate clockwise.)

I'm getting to an age where I like to position a workpiece so that is comfortable to work, for my eyes, hands, neck, and spine (It's Hell getting older!) So I made this Plumbers' Special positioning fixture from ~$25 of 1/2" pipe fittings and some scraps. It allows me to position a workpiece at a comfortable height and attitude. There are two floor flanges, two unions, and a few nipples. The captured service wrenches are made of baltic birch. I haven't decided how and where I will permanently mount this fixture, and so for now it's just screwed and clamped to the corner of my bench. Also, I suppose 3/4" or 1" pipe & fittings might be heftier, but I'm not chopping wood here.  -- I'm doing fine work.    >>>For model building, 3/8" pipe & fittings might be more suitable.<<<

Obviously, your hull should be fixed to a mounting plate to prevent a shipwreck tragedy.  I hope this is useful to you.

post-15622-0-23769200-1447011767_thumb.jpg

post-15622-0-15540200-1447011830_thumb.jpg

post-15622-0-77196400-1447011830_thumb.jpg

Now that is thinking outside of the box!

Pipe unions!

Who would-a thunk, eh?

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)