Any recommendations for kits of....

jdavis41759

Hi Everyone - I'm new to the board, so please forgive me if my question is "worn out" from previous postings.  I am looking for recommendations for plastic kits (any scale) of sailing ships from circa 1450-1800 which are worth building.  I'd prefer recommendations of models currently in production, but will be happy to also receive recommendations for kits I might have to hunt for.  Many thanks!

The Revell Bounty was my second plastic ship kit, and I thought it a nice model. I didn't have trouble with any of the parts, and it's large enough to be easy to work with; I also chose to add more detailed rigging, which was quite possible at its scale. It let me practice a few "custom" additions while being a straightforward kit to assemble.

It still looks nice on the bookshelf, with its weathered sails and homemade stand.

I think Heller's 1/100 Soleil Royal will fill your need, and with 2,600 parts, will keep you busy for a while. :)

Also, Heller's 1/100 Victory (which I already built) and has been regarded as The Best Plastic Ship Kit.

May be out of production now, but IMAI/ERTL Golden Hind was a real pleasure to build.

There is also a 1/150 model of Vasa by Revell and another by Airfix, but looks like the Revell version is better.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I think Heller's 1/100 Soleil Royal will fill your need, and with 2,600 parts, will keep you busy for a while. :)

Check out this ad on Amazon, it says it has 26 parts. I can imagine somebody getting this for a small child thinking it will be simple. :huh:

http://www.amazon.com/Heller-Soleil-Royal-Model-Building/dp/B0002HZZ4M

Nice looking model though.

Skip

Edited by skipper1947

I saw that mistake on Amazon. Someone missed a couple of zeroes there. :P

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Perhaps the rigging counts as two spools of thread?

I've seen the 1:100 Victory.  It's not too bad as far as detailing.  About on a par with the Revell Constitution.

Get Dafi's photo-etch it takes the Vic to a whole different level....   :P

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Get Dafi's photo-etch it takes the Vic to a whole different level....   :P

Mark. When I built the Heller's Vic in 1/100 I used many of the parts of a 1/98 Corel I started many years before and that I abandoned after giving up that build. (That's another story) Being the scales so close I thought it wouldn't matter too much and indeed, using metal cannons, fabric flags, wood and metal anchors, etc. took the plastic kit to a whole different level, as you said. :)

Current line of Revell's 1/196 (or in that general scale) age good started kits.  These are the Constitution, Mayflower, Bounty/Beagle (both are pretty much the same kit), Charles Morgan.

Airfix also has line of good ships.  The Warsaw and CuttySark.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

J,

You can also pick up the Santa Maria and Cutty Sark by Revell, as well as all three of Columbus' ships by Heller. There are also a number of other Heller plastic sailing ships, real and otherwise that can be found on evilBay.

I can also give you a piece of advice that Professor Tilley gave me when I came back to modeling. Purchase something fairly simple in terms of rigging and fairly large scale. That way you can finish it and have a sense of accomplishment instead of getting bogged down on one of the larger Revell or Heller kits that tend never to get finished..... i.e., The 1/96 Constitution and Cutty Sark or the Victory and Soleil Royal.

My first model after a 40 year hiatus was the Revell 1/70 Viking Ship, I know it is out of your time period request but it is a great little model. I also built the Zvezda/Revell Hanse Kogge after that and it is another nice kit to cut your teeth on.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Edited by docidle

Current Build: Merit 1/48 Early Eco 80' PT Boat and Imai 1/50 Catalan Ship

Finished:

Revell 1/196 USS Constitution (My oldest son's school project)
Revell 1/72 Hanse Kogge
Revell 1/50 Viking Ship
Revell 1/72 U-Boat
Zvezda 1/72 English Medieval Ship Thomas

Revell 1/90 The Nina