Santa Maria by Sephirem - Artesania Latina - 1/65

I just started the Santa Maria by Al and figured I would start another build log. My computer blew up on me so I have to RMA my motherboard or else I would post pictures. :( As soon as I can though I will get pictures put up. In the mean time I had a question. I've tried searching through what pictures I could find of any that where building her but couldn't find many. Is the deck being attached to the bulkheads suppose to have a significant bow in the middle of it? To me it doesn't look right but I could be wrong. Hate to get far into the build only to find out it is wrong.

Tim

Current builds: San Fran II AL, Santa Maria AL

Finished Builds: Sharpie Shooner Midwest

Mkmossop

Greetings Tim

I've just had a good look around the build logs, and can only find one build log that may be of some help to you.

There is an Amati build of the Santa Maria 1/65 scale, which I believe is the same as yours. The builder is called. MKMOSSOP.

You could have a word with him, it costs nothing. Any way good luck, and enjoy your build. DAVID

Hi Sephiren. As there are no details of the actual Santa Maria we have to speculate using other known designs of ships of that period.

I put both a camber athwartships and a cant fore and aft. What does that mean? It represents a bow as you've noted going port to starboard and and a tilt upward from astern to the stem. All designed to shed water off the maindeck as fast as possible.

I've recently recovered the pics from my build log so I'll be putting together a selection to post on the completed kits gallery. In the meantime I'll be happy to help where I can.

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

Gonna keep an eye on your progress. I just purchased the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria and put them on my shelf.

Current Build:

La Nina, Latina - Wood / 1:65

On The Shelf:

San Francisco II, Latina - Wood 1/90,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic  / 1:96 (Remake),     H.M.S. Bounty, Latina - Wood / 1:48,     H.M.S. /Mayflower, Latina - Wood / 1:64,     La Pinta, Latina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Santa Maria, Latina - Wood / 1:65,

Completed:

San Francisco / Cross Section, Latina - Wood / 1:50,     Coastal Submarine, Revell - Plastic / 1:144,     Cutty Sark Wall Plaque, Revell - Plastic / 1:50,     H.M.S. Victory, Revell - Plastic / 1:146,

H.M.S. Bounty, Constructo - Wood / 1:50,     Oseberg, Billings Boats - Wood / 1:25,     Clipper Ship (Sea Witch), Unknown - Wood / 1:46,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:96,    

Man Of War, Scientific - Wood / 1:50,     Robert E. Lee, Scientific - Wood / 1:45,     PT-109, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     U.S.S. Enterprise, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,    

R.M.S. Titanic, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,     Numerous other wooded tall ships and boats from companies named: Ideal, Dumas, Pyro.

I've had to make a trip up to the Northern 50. Gotta get the rest of our things from our Las Vegas home. Pick up ships for the shelf. Granddaughter wedding. We won't be home to Mazatlan for a least another 6 weeks. So until then all I can do is observe.

Current Build:

La Nina, Latina - Wood / 1:65

On The Shelf:

San Francisco II, Latina - Wood 1/90,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic  / 1:96 (Remake),     H.M.S. Bounty, Latina - Wood / 1:48,     H.M.S. /Mayflower, Latina - Wood / 1:64,     La Pinta, Latina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Santa Maria, Latina - Wood / 1:65,

Completed:

San Francisco / Cross Section, Latina - Wood / 1:50,     Coastal Submarine, Revell - Plastic / 1:144,     Cutty Sark Wall Plaque, Revell - Plastic / 1:50,     H.M.S. Victory, Revell - Plastic / 1:146,

H.M.S. Bounty, Constructo - Wood / 1:50,     Oseberg, Billings Boats - Wood / 1:25,     Clipper Ship (Sea Witch), Unknown - Wood / 1:46,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:96,    

Man Of War, Scientific - Wood / 1:50,     Robert E. Lee, Scientific - Wood / 1:45,     PT-109, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     U.S.S. Enterprise, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,    

R.M.S. Titanic, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,     Numerous other wooded tall ships and boats from companies named: Ideal, Dumas, Pyro.

Edited upon examining your last pic more closely. I believe that that you have set the "bulwarks" too low. I think you'll find that the bottom edge of the profile should sit on the top of the maindeck line.

Edited by marktime

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

Smile, watching your log I'm eager to see how many mistakes I've made years ago. Still some dust on my build (at the beginning of rigging). I plan to watch again the movie 1492 with Gerard Depardieu and take a lot of pictures from the tv screen of the Santa Maria for my build. PS: Not yet restarted 'cause victory cross section ist so time consuming

Greetings

Thom

Very nice. Your decking looks great. I will be following this build. I have purchased all three kits about a year ago at 50% from a hobby store about a 1/2 mile from my home when they were going out of business. I also got the Titanic's Boat kit at the same time. Looking forward to watching your progress. :)

• 5 months later...

i can't recall where they meet the maindeck but yes, it follows the line of the maindeck and it's a pretty tight turn so you´ll need to peg it along it's whole length. Hope we are not barging in on Sephirem's build log, if so, apologies.

• 3 months later...

Sephirem, hope you're enjoying the world of the Santa Maria.  Looking forward to watching your build.

- Bug