Jefferson Davis Bluejacket

markjay

I've built several of Bluejackets models, very satisfied with the results, but they were solid hulls. I can not find any build logs for the Jefferson Davis which is plank on frame. Has anyone out there had experience with this kit?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A member of my local built one, but this was years ago.  I can only dimly recall that he had some issues with the kit, but he did finish it, and it looked very nice when completed.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 10 months later...

Janet B

The Jefferson Davis kit is advertised as a plank on frame kit,it is made by shapeing a block of wood to the complete shape of

the hull,it is then it is cut across in even slices to make the formers i would not say it is a plank on frame in the accepted way.

The kit can be a little difficult for the novice.

Thanks Janet B,

I have the kit on the shelf it will be a difficult build when I get to it. It poses some interesting challenges as too the method of construction.

Mark

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

Hi Janet B.

Have you built the Jefferson Davis? If you have I'd like to hear about your experience with it.

Mark

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

• 1 month later...

Hi, I built the Jeff Davis EONS ago. i remember felling a bit duped as it was the 2nd POB model that I built and i felt that it was way over my skill level at the time (the first one I did was the AL's Swift wich I recommend to anyone wanting to learn pob builds) however I finished it and it turned out to be a decent model. the AL Harvey that i built after it was much easier as most pieces are laser cut for you, scale and authenticity aside. . the J Davis asks the molder to fashion many of the deck and masts components themselves, thus it can be a bit of a crash course in model making. perhaps they've updated the model, like I said this was over 20 yrs ago.  However with the solid hull Cutty Sark and the HMS Fly under your belt you should not have any trouble. if you are not feeling 100% conformable with POB then I would start with something else before tackling the Jeff Davis. 

good luck! 

jp.