Substitute for Wood Frame Pieces in Lifeboats

I've taken a break from the big boat on my Niagara build and am working on the yawl (lifeboat).  It's a sandwich style hull which I have filed and sanded inside and out to get a nice shape. I want to add some realism so I am looking at adding frame pieces, floor strips, etc.

For the frame pieces I am trying to use 1/32 x 3/32 planks, soaking and bending them to fit the inside hull. They are bending OK but I'm not getting a nice flush fit in the hull. When I press one in it seems to be at the breaking point.

I am beginning to wonder if there is a better, more flexible material for this purpose? Maybe even some sort of plastic? The only requirement is it must be paintable.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

If you're going to paint it, then styrene would be a good choice. Very flexible, easy to work, etc. Most Hobby shops will carry a range of it - Evergreen is a brand name that comes to mind. I think it's used a lot by model rail roaders.

Grant - I hear that mentioned a lot. For some reason styrofoam is the picture that always comes to mind. :huh:

I'll check it out.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Yellow birch wood strips, 1/32" thick, soaked in water for 20 - 30 minutes.  Fasten the strips in place until dry and they will be perfect.  Depending on the width of the strips, you can tie the strips in a knot.  I did it with 1/16 x 1/8 " strips just for grins and giggles.

Jim