Tool for Shaping Brass Strip

There were also very few square edges on a ship. They tended to catch sails and lines.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

That does make sense John and is probably the direction I need to go. As Bill said, you don't want to beat 'em silly with a hammer. Just a few taps with a jewelers hammer.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mike

I wonder if you cut a v out of the inner side of the corner, most of the way through, then folded it at that point....it would give a sharper corner & also hold itself in position for the soldering/brazing.

best, Mark 

Mark - when it is possible to do that I imagine you are right. As John mentioned earlier about scribing the line of the joint before bending. Anything to weaken that point should produce a better angle. The problem is a lot of what I have worked with lately is too thin to do much of anything to.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

When I was doing the sheet metal part of my apprenticeship we used 'bending bars'. These were a set of hard steel bars about a foot long with each edge a different radius from square to a quarter circle of bar thickness radius. The metal sheet was clamped between the bars, which were held in a vice, and then tapped down over the required radius. There were different thicknesses of bars. Perhaps something like that could be made/bought/ borrowed.

Al

• 3 weeks later...

The main thing to remember is what are you using the metal for. As mentioned earlier the brass, copper  silver will all work harden you can experiment with this aspect by taking a small strip 1/6 x .010 fold it over in a vice or pliers and un-fold it then refold it it will get hard and brittle at the fold and if you do it too much it will break if you are using it for mast bands etc I would anneal it first use a small scrap of wood the same section as what you need the brass to wrap around to practice with.

I don't have the book described but have done a lot of work with brass over the last 50 or so years.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 6 months later...

Late to this post, but very relevant to me. As a beginner modeler I realize that I will have to learn about making metal parts from brass and that those parts will have to be well made if I want to build a quality model. My thanks to Bill (Reklein) for the book link. I just ordered it and it will be fun learning to make those small parts. Meanwhile I will continue admiring the metal work done by so many on this forum.

Mike,

an American living in Norway

Current build:  Galley Washington - 1:48 - Scratch POF - NRG plans

Good luck Mike. I hope the book helps you more than it helped me.

Visit this supplier for a great selection of brass stock. They have both formed (rounded edges) and extruded (square edges) U profiles. Plan ahead they do have a $20 minimum order amount.

http://www.specialshapes.com/

Edited by xken

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Oh, oh. I know what you mean Mike. I may have to read it, try out what it says, reread, try again, reread it and maybe I will get it eventually. That's the way it usually goes for me. Maybe I'm not alone.

Mike,

• 4 weeks later...

Just a follow-up to my last post on this subject. I did get the book. It has a lot of nice photos, but if you are looking for a 'how to' book then you will find this one to be a big disappointment. It is nevertheless a fun read a nice addition to any model library.

Mike,

I'd have to agree with you Mike. Nice for the coffee table but that's about it. I needed (and still do) more basics. Sadly, I still haven't found it.