Some time ago I saw a reference to using Mircosoft Word for making lettering for the model. I know Word, but how do you get this on the model?

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

There's several ways...one way is use Word and then go through  the photo etch process.  Another is to print it out on decal paper.

And then there's these:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7947-where-can-i-get-tiny-letters-for-my-ship/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/6178-spacing-of-letters-in-ships-name-on-stern

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Or much easier and less work involved which I love, I order the lettering and waterline markings from Cornwall models in England. Yep, takes a few weeks to get to the U.S., but if I have a few ships in the wings at different scales, I can order most in one order and the shipping isn't that bad.

mike 

I used Word for my Revenue cutter. In this case the whole piece was printed with a black background. Getting the "right" curve and letter-spacing took a lot of fiddling - I'm a bit of a perfectionist with this stuff (and it's easier to redo 20 times on a computer and printer  :)).

post-12980-0-86045800-1451440498.png post-12980-0-75953800-1451440511_thumb.png

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

After a "Google can find anything" search I found the decal paper is everywhere and really not to costly. The cheapest I found on Amazon

Testors Decal Paper, Clear, Pack of 6 (9201) $9.24 with free shipping

Somewhere down the line I'll give it a try.

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

Okay, I understand the whole concept of lettering

but when I like to do a name and port below  ( all centered) and there are curves in several ways, then what to do?

The yacht America 1851 and stern display has many various angles.....

Like the know the trick....

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I have not made any decals, but to get the lettering curved correctly. I would use Microsoft Publisher :  "Word Art" feature  lets you put a word on sentence into any shape you want. and then prints this o decal paper. The real problem might come with exsteamally conpound surfaces. In that case you may have to put one letter at a time. I would think that if you can lay a piece of paper on the surface the Word Wrt thing coud do.

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

What do you do for white letters on a black hull? 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I will again recommend Vectorcut as a source for Laser cut letters for slightly raised letters. Just put some guidelines lightly in the area you want the letters and Voila! Prepaint them if you like. Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

What do you do for white letters on a black hull? 

Bob

Hi Bob,

to overcome the fact that the printer ca`nt produce white ink.......

I had that need for application with the white lettering on black / resp. red background with the depth marking scales....

When using Excel for doing the depth scales, by normal printing on white paper, I colored the cells (backgrounds) black above the waterline and red beneath. The lettering in white color for both backgrounds. There is also white decal paper available for ink jet printers, but I did`nt try it yet, probably that would work out even better, due to the thinner material

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Richard, is that piece of paper covering the whole transom, or just the area where the letters are? What do you use to glue that on?

Yes, that's a single piece of paper. It was printed on white paper (black background/yellow letters). It was glued using an Elmer's Extra Strength glue stick (which is acid-free). I then put a coat of the same matte polyurethane varnish (Varathane brand) used on the rest of the ship. Getting the font, color, curve, and size took a lot of tries. To get it looking just right (to me anyway), I also had to fiddle with the kerning (letter spacing) for the 'D' and 'S'.

I had considered using individual letters but decided that the chances of getting them lined up correctly was exactly zero (although I know some people here have achieved that feat). The letters are also flat which I felt was probably correct because they were most likely just painted on).

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

• 2 weeks later...

irfanview  Thanks.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray