Seeking a Walking beam engine in 1/48 or 1/96.

I'm considering building a model of the "Mary Powell' a beautiful Hudson river steam boat. I know that some kit manufacturers like Dumas and Bluejacket make dummy versions of the walking beam engine for their kits like 'Portland'  but I can't see them advertised as separate fittings available to buy anywhere.

Anyone know where I might look..?

Dan.

Many thanks Crackers.

I have just ordered the plans and am casting around for the beam engine. So it looks like I'm committed and it's all your fault. :)

I have a piece of wooden decoration from the original Mary Powell taken when she ran aground and was wrecked on the Hudson so I thought a model of her would be a nice change (when I get a chance!)

Crackers,

Why don't you just post a link to the pictures then?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Why don't you try contacting the Hudson River Maritime Museum I'm sure they would be more than happy to help. They have a lot of Mary Powell artifacts and probably a lot of data in their collection(s).

Why don't you try contacting the Hudson River Maritime Museum I'm sure they would be more than happy to help. They have a lot of Mary Powell artifacts and probably a lot of data in their collection(s).

That's a great idea. I'll send them a picture of the chunk of wreckage I have and maybe they might know whereabouts on the ship it originated.

Dan.

Dan here's a video of a model of the Mary Powell's walking beam engine. Also see if you can find the book Mary Powell by Donald C Ringwald.

Hi Dan,

I've also been looking into building one of the Hudson River steamboats.  My ship club had plans of the sidewheeler Armenia which I found to be very interesting.  What drew my attention to her was the superstructure that was protruding through the upper deck what I've since learned is the 'walking beam engine'.  The plans I have were drawn by F. Van Loon Ryder too and I'm in the process of redrawing them in AutoCAD.  I've just started researching this ship so I don't have a lot of information on the engine yet but whatever I find I will gladly share with you.  I won't be starting this ship for a while because I still have a few months to go on my current build, the Syren.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Dan, don't know where in Central VA you are (not necessary for you to say here) but for reference - I'm 10-15 miles from HRMM and a drive to Annapolis MD is about 5 hrs for me - maybe 6 to Richmond, in case you want to visit and maybe look in their archives.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I hadn't actually Mark.

Thanks for the heads up, what remarkable collection of information..!

I have been looking at this place lately. 

http://deadconfederates.com/2013/03/18/aye-candy-c-s-s-manassas/

There are some amazing steam vessels of the Confederacy here. Some extremely tempting model subjects!

Dan.

I hadn't seen that site, Dan.  Interesting place so I bookmarked it and will also see what's there.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 5 months later...

You can get a plan for the Mount Washington paddle steamer from John Fryant's Paddlewheels and Props website at http://www.steamboats.org/modelplans/index.html. Mt Washington was an excursion paddlewheel side-wheeler steamer on Lake Wiinnepesauke, New Hampshire, and was powered by a walking beam engine.  

This plan is the one by John Breynaert, that is the basis for the Dumas kit, and includes a drawing of the complete walking beam engine.  You can get to the listing for the Mt Washington Plans at this link:  http://www.steamboats.org/modelplans/p4-washington.html

Pete G

Better yet!!!  I just re-checked John's Paddlewheel Steamer Drawings listing, and he also offers a drawing for the Mary Powell, which should really be a great help.  Three sheets drawn to 1/96th scale show outboard profile, hull lines, deck plans and engine details. Brief history and complete color scheme included. Model size: 37'' long by 8'' beam.  http://www.steamboats.org/modelplans/p4-mary-powell.html

Should you have any questions about the fidelity and quality associated with John Fryant's own work and his offerings, this page may help:

http://steamboats.com/museum/fryant.html

Edited by PJGlor333

Dan, you might be interested in marine artist Bill Muller. He shows a beautiful painting of both the Mary Powell and the Portland (which I am currently building).

He lives in Cotuit, Cape Cod, MA. I have talked with him on the phone and found him a delight. He may be of some help to you. PM me for his phone number if interested.

http://www.jrusselljinishiangallery.com/pages/muller-pages/mullerthumbs.htm

John Elwood