Is it possible to download an entire build log?

Is it possible to download an entire build log? If so, how do you do it? Just thinking back to the big MSW 1 crash when so much was lost. Are there copyright concerns? I was thinking of some logs like Augie's which could never be replaced, and some others I would like to have for future reference. If the log's author is still reachable, I would ask their permission first of course. With relatively inexpensive storage units like Seagate's USB models, it seems like a good idea to save some of the treasures contained here.

Best wishes

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

That's an interesting idea.  I don't know how a whole build log could be saved/copied in one go, but it might be possible to copy individual web pages from a log to an external repository such as 'Evernote'.  Has anyone tried this?  Given that build logs can run to quite a few pages, this might become quite a task in itself.  

The questions of copyright and asking permission beforehand are very relevant.  Indeed, is it against forum rules to make any kinds of copies at all?

If it wasnt for the good folks who managed to copy my logs from version 1 of this site...They would be lost forever.  I dont however know any way that it can be done easily.  But yes....you should ask permission first.  My gues is that many have already done this without asking...but it is better to ask first.

Chuck

Buck,

IF it's less than 25 pages (I think that's the limit) there's icons at the lower left hand corner of the page. One is printer that lets you print.  The other lets you download.

There's a topic here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/345-how-to-save-or-print-your-build-log-or-other-posts

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys! I'll read up on that thread Mark and give it a shot later. Right now we have a horse in the race. A Bronco!

So Chuck, do you see any issue with saving Augie's log since I can't ask him for permission?

-Buck

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Edwin and all,

By all means extend a courtesy to the log owner and get permission.   First, I think they would appreciate knowing that someone thinks enough of their log to download it.  Second... as Chuck said, "you should ask permission first".

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello All,

I am attempting a build of ALL the Euromodel ships on a rotating, crazy, nightmare journey. I post my build logs on their website as I complete a section so if anybody wants to download the pdf files, go for it. They are there just for that reason - and no need to ask. No, I get no remuneration for doing it. it's just fun.

Pete

I used Mark's link to his downloading an entire build log instructions and it works great! Thanks Mark!  I'm using IE 11 and used the download icon in the bottom left of the log page.

Unfortunately, Augie's Syren build does not have that icon. I don't know if that has to do with the log being locked or not. I have sent a message to Nazgul (Matti) about downloading his Wasan build log, but I noticed that his log did not have the download icon either. Is there a way to access the download feature if the icon is not there?

I was hoping to download the logs of my friend, the mad chemist (Keith). I was too late. Unfortunately, the majority of his pictures and postings are no longer there and I suspect that he linked them from somewhere that does not exist anymore. Did anyone save those?

-Buck

Buck,

The icon goes away after 25 pages...  

You can go to each page (yeah.. right... on 100+ page log) in a log (so like Augie's would 102 pages) and right click on each page and "save as".  

Sorry.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Aargh!! I thought I had it. I had downloaded a couple of logs and opened the file where I saved them (as html) and everything viewed great. The page buttons scrolled right through without any problems.  I turned off my laptop's wireless connection and checked it one more time, and the first page views ok, but the others do not. They had actually been linking back to the website when I clicked page 2 and up. Looks like it is going to be a one page at a time deal. Well I am patient (or stubborn) so I'll work it out.

I will go back and get the rest of the pages of a short log I was trying to save, and then try to combine them as a pdf file. I'll let you know how that works. It was the La Couronne build of Majq's which suddenly stopped at the 4th page. I had pm'd him a long time ago but never heard back. Does anyone know if he is OK?

-Buck

I was hoping to download the logs of my friend, the mad chemist (Keith). I was too late. Unfortunately, the majority of his pictures and postings are no longer there and I suspect that he linked them from somewhere that does not exist anymore. Did anyone save those?

This is why everyone should encourage people to simply upload the images to the forum in their logs, that way they are not dependent on an outside image host and should be available for as long as MSW is available (which is hopefully for a good long time).

Well said, Brian.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I could not get the conversion to pdf format to work. Another problem arose on a log that had pictures linked from an outside source. When viewing the page, everything looks fine, but when the page is downloaded and viewed offline, the images are no longer there. Another reason why what Brian said is important.

-Buck

Buck,  I have been able to save pages in PDF format.  I am using Chrome and my printer.  with Windows 7.  I do is have my browser print the page.  A window appears activating my printer and change to setting to save as Pdf.  I am using a HP Envy 7640.  If you try it this way you might be able to save the page.  I think it would depend on your printers software.

David B

Would be great to raise that 25 page limit for the pdf exporting module. I am pretty sure that this limit is artificial ;) It might hit some memory limits on the server if trying to export a really big log, but only if that module is implemented in a really suboptimal way. Hope it is not!

• 3 years later...

Yep, it's now a dead link and probably has been that way for some time.   With upgrades to software, often these pages that were referenced were deleted as the info wasn't applicable any more.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

It used to be done via a link inserted with the title of the topic on its first page. That link was removed with one of the software upgrades, so I suspect the moderators made a policy decision about this. I seem to remember complaints about people 'stealing' work and labelling it as their own on other model sites.

Tony

No it wasnt that....The software we use no longer has that as an option.  Something about compiling all of the larger topics takes forever to make printable.  It was causing issues especially with the larger topics.  So you can still do it but you must copy and paste it yourself.

Chuck