The new (or old) Victory Colours

Just watched a fasinating video relating to the 10 year Victory restoration.

Seems that after intense research, it has been established that the well-known 'yellow' and black were actually not the colours that Victory presented herself in.

Interesting times for new Victory builders I guess - how long before the noew paints will be available - and will they be used????

Here's a link to the Video from the Victory restoration site - enjoy: http://www.hms-victory.com/restoration-log/hms-victory-her-true-colours

John

True Captain - now you point it out!

Interesting never the less!!

I am just wondering how soon the kit makers catch up with what does seem to be the historically correct colour....

I wonder who will present the first "revised paint" Victory here on MSW.

I was thinking Dafi (Daniel)....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

After watching that clip, I am glad I left my Victory unpainted :)

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Historical or not, I am just not fond of the "new" color. Based on personal preference and not the science of paint color analysis, I will choose the "old" color for mine. Besides, 99.9% of the people I know who may see my model, won't care one whit whether the color is perfectly historical or not, neither will they know the difference. Especially if they just glance at it while riding past on a galloping horse. :D  

---You wrote:

99.9% of the people I know who may see my model, won't care one whit whether the color is perfectly historical or not, neither will they know the difference. Especially if they just glance at it while riding past on a galloping horse.

---end of quote---

Don't put the bar deeper into the house than your model.  Then they won't break the sound barrier as they go by.  Just after the coat room seems about right.  Once they get their bevvy, they can peruse the models at their ease.