Model Shipways Vanguard ?

jwvolz

Maybe I missed something somewhere, and search found me nothing, but what is the source of the kit listed on Expo's site as "Model Shipway's Vanguard"? 

Is it the Amati kit? It doesn't say that it is,  The photos on the Expo website sure look identical to some of the Amati ones. 

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS130004

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

That's a good question Joe,  You might have a go and ask here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12827-model-expo-has-got-wind-in-its-sails/#entry390098 

I'm thinking it is the same....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Joe:

I remember a long time ago the Amati Vanguard was offered in partnership with ME - I think this may have either been when the model was first produced, or maybe (if there was a lag) when it was first introduced to the US market.....The deal didn't last too long because it was shortly after I saw it that ME stopped carrying Amati kits.....They did the same thing with the Amati 1:100 Bluenose - I bought it from ME and it was packaged as an ME kit, but the contents were the Amati design. I think it must have been a collaboration between the two companies to promote these two products......

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Interestingly it is not now shown on the POB page of the website, just a day later. Maybe it was an old one from what you mentioned Hamilton and it ended up on the current page accidentally. 

Odd...

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

I have the Model Shipways Vanguard kit. It`s still in the box but I believe some of the differences are slightly different instructions,cast cannons instead of turned brass,& copper tape instead of copper plates. I haven`t started it yet but after looking through the box it appears to be a nice kit.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

I'm building the Amati Vanguard. Evidently Model Shipways had some sort of arrangement with Amati to market their Vanguard in North America. From what I have seen on this website, the Model Shipways is a good quality kit, but from my observation the Amati kit has far better fittings, but is more expensive. Good luck.

Bob (RMC)

The cheap quality woods and some fittings are what turns me off with Model Shipways kits. With their kits, you have basically one way to build it and that is usually painting the model. But with most foreign made kits, they use exotic woods and you have two options, either build the model and leave natural wood or paint it. Heck even their cheaper kits come second planked with a nice thin wood veneer. Plus I have never gotten a foreign kit with white pot metal cannon and fittings, they are usually turned brass from the cannon to the belaying pins. So I don't mind paying the extra for a kit that gives me these options plus a multitude of subjects to model.

mike     

• 3 weeks later...

If I recall correctly, the Amati and MS versions also differ in the material used for the major parts (bulkheads etc); Amati uses the compressed 'manufactured wood' (like the new "Revenge" kit), but the MS kit was cut from plywood. I also recall that there was some discussion about whether the Amati and MS parts were of slightly different sizes, although both were marketed as 1/72 scale. MAybe somebody can cast some light on that?

Another difference is that the Amati offering has etched and cast parts for different vessels besides Vanguard, but the MS version is Vanguard only. The MS version had laser(?) cut wooden cannon carriages rather than the 'all-in-one' cast metal carriages offered by Amati, and turned brass instead of cast guns.

I had the MS version, but sold it on after getting hooked by Caldercraft's slightly larger 1/64 scale kits.  

John

Mystery unraveled. The MS13004 was a ME product manufactured entirely in the USA under license with Amati of Italy. Due to disagreements between the companies the relationship was terminated as was the production of the item.

The reason the Vanguard popped up on the Model Expo website not long ago is that the images and the descriptive copy were temporarily activated so that I could copy that material to move it to eBay in order to sell a Vanguard that came into my possession. 

Why do I have Vanguards; both ME version and even an Amati version as I write?  

Model Expo often times buys 2nd hand kits from ship modelers throughout the country. In fact, we sometimes buy complete collections of ship model kits. What often times happens is that aging customers, or their widows, have a closet or attic full of ship model kits they were meaning to build but ran out of time. We buy the collections and auction them on eBay one by one. The way I see it we are making sometimes rare kits available to enthusiastic modelers as well as providing needed income to sustain Model Expo. 

At the moment there is an original Amati Vanguard kit at auction on eBay. Click here or paste in your browser to see it http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amati-Victory-Models-HMS-Vanguard-Wood-Ship-Model-Kit-Unbuilt-em-ja-/201538434976?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT... maybe you get it at a bargain price.  You'll find other super kits there too ... like a Sergal Sovereign and a Jotika Victory. 

Thanks for the heads up, I put in my bid for the SOS. I hope to get it as it will be most likely my last model that I will build especially as a donation piece hopefully for a children's hospital or charity.

PS: well the bid topped my limit so I'm still in the hunt for a SOS.

mike  

Edited by mtdoramike

• 8 months later...

I was able to get that kit from the local hobby shop. It was in their store for a couple of years and got it at a discount. It is a Amati/Modelshipways collaborated kit. Mainly Amati.

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.