Independence 1775 by DocBlake - Artesania Latina - 5/16" scale.

This will be my build log for AL's "Independence 1775".  First let me say that this is an entirely fictional vessel, much like Al's Swift or Harvey.  It is , however, representative of the colonial schooners built in America between 1763 and 1775.  Harold Hahn covers these ships in his book "The Colonial Schooner - 1763 - 1775".

I was drawn to the vessel because of her lines, and especially the bluff bow.   But what convinced me to build this model was the excellent build log of Clare Hess:

http://www.shipsofscale.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=539

Clare is building the model on commission and has seriously kit-bashed the build.  The result is a beautiful , if fictional, colonial schooner circa 1775.

The first problem with the kit is the scale.  The box cover lists the model as 1:35 scale.  At that large scale, the model would be very small...smaller in fact than "Sultana", the smallest schooner known to have been built.  A vessel that tiny would never be able to be armed with 4 carriage-mounted cannons.  What to do?

Clare decided to build the model in 1:48 scale.  I chose a different path.  After researching both the "Halifax" and "Sultana" in Hahn's book, I discovered that if I built the kit in 5/16" scale, the model would be a little smaller than "Halifax" but larger than "Sultana".  She should be able to carry 4 three-pounder cannons.

The 5/16" scale is unusual, and it translates to 1:38.4!  Convieniently this works out to 8 mm = 1 inch, a convenient ratio.  So I'll be building "Independence" using metric measurements.

I completed the hull framing and reinforced the framing with blocks.  Probably overkill, but the bulkheads are plywood and very hard.  Fairing the hull would put a lot of stress on them so I decided better safe than sorry.

I plan to use the same wood scheme as Clare:  boxwood decking, boxwood and swiss pear hull planking.  I will used redheart for the inboard bulwark planking and the deck furniture ordinarily painted red.

post-3900-0-31470100-1456688287_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-96501400-1456688309_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-36683000-1456688329_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-57102400-1456688547_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

Hi Dave,

Congrats on starting your build and build log here! 

In reality, my model's scale is somewhere in between 1:40 and 1:48. It's so close in design to being a kit of the Halifax, that I've been using elements of that ship to build this model. There's actually a lot of "fudge factor" in my model!

Also, I actually used plain pear wood, not swiss pear. I got some from The Lumberyard that was very dark in color. I bought more in sheet and rough cut form and think I must have gotten the last of the dark pear wood supply. I've seen other models that used pear wood (again, not swiss pear) and it was much lighter.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to watching your progress. 

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Hi Dave,

It took me a while to get back in the swing of things, posting on forums etc. but I think I'm ready now to jump back in. I'll be following your new build with great interest; it's a new model to me. Have you built a AL model before? I'm always curious what it's like working with the different manufacturers. I'm sure you'll make me envious of your woodworking skills yet again.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Good thinking Dave! I will follow with interest!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

These are pretty little ships and your off to a great start. I am looking forward to watching this progress.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

I glued the deck segments to the framework with one hour epoxy and used the famous little yellow nails to hold until dry.  These were removed and any imperfections in the sub deck filled with Elmer's wood filler.  I drew a centerline on the deck and then laid out where the deck beams would be to guide the treenailing.  There is nothing scientific or historically accurate in the way the deck is laid out.  I just went with what was pleasing to the eye.  Next is planking the deck (that's the common build order for AL kits).  I'm still up in the air about whether to plank in boxwood, holly or maple. The planking will be 1/32" thick.

The last two photos show that the keel slopes downward moving aft, and is not parallel to the waterline.  The lower decks in the holds ARE parallel to the waterline.  It makes it appear as if the hold decks are installed at an angle,  Note that the bulkheads are perpendiculal to the hold decks, but not the keel!

post-3900-0-11775100-1457033028_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-65971200-1457033048_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-96622100-1457033073_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-92890000-1457033116_thumb.jpg

Nice detailing Dave! I look forward to your next post!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

I chose boxwood for the deck planking.  The planks are 5/32" wide, 6 scale inches.  I need to fit the margin planks, add the treenails and then plank the exposed bulwark areas separating the decks with red heart.

post-3900-0-88543900-1457279476_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually finished planking the main deck, including the margin planks. I added filler blocks (balsa) to the first two inter-bulkhead spaces. With the bluff bow I wanted all the help I could get in fairing the bow. None of that is included in the instructions, BTW! I'll post as soon as I'm back from Arizona.

Great start Dave, not sure how I missed this I seem to be missing lots lately(mostly memory ;) ). Enjoy your holiday

We're just back from a road trip to Arizona, so the shipyard is open again!

I added the bow blocks and faired them smooth.  The bluff bow made me a little nervous, so I added the blocking, made of balsa wood.  The kit doesn't call for any blocking at all.  I'm also adding some at the stern, below the counter where the wing transom would sit.

post-3900-0-58056800-1459120009_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-45077100-1459120030_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

Good plan with the filler blocks Dave, one I'm sure you won't regret

Hi Dave,

Your filler blocks look great. It's hard to imagine that you wouldn't need them given the blunt shape of the bow. I'll be interested to hear how difficult the bow planking is to do.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Doc,

You had my attention as soon as you mentioned Red Heart, and going with what pleases the eye. Following, and we're not to far from one another :)

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Glad you could stop in, Bill.  It looks as though you are a full-scale carpenter/woodworker as well as a model shipwright.  Am I right?  Woodworking in full scale is also a lifelong interest of mine.  I live in Pewaukee, about 55 miles from Madison.  Maybe we can get a few other Badger ship builders together and start a club in south central/south eastern Wisconsin!  There isn't one as far as I know.

Dave,

Absolutely, I'm up for that! Perhaps we could get together soon. I'm currently turning a cabin on our property into a cabinet/furniture shop. I'm also setting aside a nice enclosed area of the shop  for the shipyard. Just frame at the moment but moving forward! Would love to see your shipyard ;)

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Sounds good, Bill!

I installed the stern blocks and faired the bulkheads and blocks..  I need to finish the deck and cover the exposed part of the bulkheads before the first hull planking.

post-3900-0-19455300-1459286703_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-91745200-1459286720_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

Hi John!

The wood is balsa so it works easily.  I carved it to rough shape with a #22 X-Acto knife, and then sanded with my sanding blocks.  You do have a good eye!  There is a slight concave shape to the area where the wing transom would be, approaching the counter! The concavity is only right next to the sternpost on both sides.  If you follow the wing transom out laterally, the shape becomes slightly convex.

Doc - This model is looking great!

Are there pieces of ply attached to the stern to help shape the balsa?

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Hi Ken!  Yep...a lot of blocking to stiffen the bulkheads which are plywood and very hard.  I was concerned about damage when fairing because the stress of sanding would be significant.  Also the plywood and basswood blocking allowed me to use less balsa wood.  The balsa is confines to places where big changes in the hull lines occur like the wing transom area and the bow.  The kit has no bow or stern blocks at all.

Don:  Yep, I did get an interesting email this morning!  Stay tuned to the Lauck Street thread for a response a little later.   ;) 

Nice bow blocks Don! I look forward to your planking!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

• 3 weeks later...

I've been spending time on my POF AVS, so I've neglected "Independence".  I'm just finishing up the quarterdeck planking.  The margin plank and nibbed planking is installed on the port side. Not yet on the starboard side.

This is a small vessel and the main deck is only 20 feet long; the others are shorter.  Full planks would have been used, so there are no butt joints in the deck planking.  Treenails need to be placed and the deck sanded well before installing the bulwark support plywood that is then planked, inboard and outboard.

post-3900-0-88419300-1461778111_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-28026200-1461778128_thumb.jpg