Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

USS Constitution by AndyMech - Revell - PLASTIC - 1:96

Constitution Revell Plastic

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

AndyMech

AndyMech

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Hello again.  I started this log back on November 1, 2011, and I think I've managed to salvage most of it.  I have all the photos, and will re-build the log as best I can.

Having been through catastrophic data losses before (professionally), I know the feeling the moderators must have and completely sympathize.  Re-boots and recovery are always difficult, but the "can-do" attitude of everyone here and the overwhelming friendly atmosphere obviously hasn't been lost.  For that, I am thankful.

Here's the last photo I took (some progress made since then, but not photographed).  I will start the log from the beginning when I have more time.

Andy.

Attached Files

Edited by AndyMech, 18 February 2013 - 11:27 PM.

• mtaylor likes this

Current build:  Mamoli USS Constitution cross-section 1:93

Completed build: Plastic Revell 1:96 USS Constitution (2011-2013)

Completed build (no log): Midwest's Peterboro Canoe (2013)

malshep

malshep

Officer Cadet

• Members
  • 2 posts

Hi andymech,

Thanks for your offer to repost the build log. I had been following it religiously since starting the Constitution in December. You logged so many hints that have been so helpful to a novice. Looking foward to seeing the log reconstituted.

Malshep

AndyMech

AndyMech

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

I was able to save most of my log through Google Cache and will not re-create it entirely, but cut-and-paste and re-post photos.  It may take a while, but I should have everything I need.

--------------

I'd like start a detailed build log for the very popular USS Constitution 1:96 by Revell.

First, a little background: I built my first plastic model, The Flying Dutchman, after giving it to my daughter. I don't know who made it - can't find the box anymore and web searches have come up empty. Anyway, I found it under her bed months later - it was obvious she wasn't going to do it. I bought some enamel Testors paint, some plastic cement and built it myself. It was a very enjoyable experience - not a difficult model and I did a really bad job painting it (I just looked at again yesterday - horrid!), but fun.

Next, I built a balsa wood airplane, just to see if I liked that. It was fun, but frustrating somewhat and it didn't really jazz me as much as the ship did. Perhaps it's because the ships are much more detailed and complicated than the airplanes.

After the plane, I built the Academy 1:250 Roman Warship. On this one, I was much more careful and detailed, especially with the painting. I still used enamels, and glossy ones at that, but at least I didn't rush it, and I got a good set of decent brushes. Not knowing any better, I typically glued over the paint, which caused some of the paint to melt, although I've not seen any stability issues.

After the Roman Warship, I got the bug for doing a ship-in-a-bottle. A little shopping research later, I found the Amati Hannah 1:350 ship-in-a-bottle kit. This one was more expensive than the others, so I wanted to be extra careful to not screw it up.

I found an incredible build log on the now-defunct DryDockModels site, and managed to save all 7 pages of the log before the site went away. (It was
going up and down sporadically, so I quick saved it one day when it was up - I never was able to get back to it later, so I got lucky.)
The build log was like a second set of instructions to me, and that's what I'd like to do for this log on the USS Constitution. It only took 8 weeks or so to build the Hannah, and it turned out pretty good. I liked the small scale and the attention to detail. I was painting with sewing needles and did the whole project looking through a magnifier.

After the Hannah, I thought about my next project -- I knew I wanted it to be a ship, but should I go wood or plastic? I seriously
thought about wood -- researched a ton on this site, thought about the Syren because of the detailed instructions or the Sultana as it's been recommended as a good beginner wood model. In fact, I read an extremely good, detailed build log on the Sultana here at Model Ship World, and it scared me off. I'm not confident in my carpentry or sanding skills and the amount of hull shaping seemed very difficult. I still want to do a wood model eventually and learn the planking techniques.

So when I read of the Revell 1:96 Constitution, it clicked for me. It's a large, detailed model with complex rigging, which I've not done before.

I bought the model mid-September (2011), and as luck would have it, travelled to Boston for work a week later. Unfortunately, there was no
time to visit it at the Boston docks, but I got a glimpse as plane landed.

I hope to document, in this log, virtually every step. I'm an engineer by profession (software), and am interested in documenting the entire process. I
typically only work on weekends, as my weekdays are a bit too busy -- some weekdays I can do small steps like masking or minor prep, but the bulk of the
work is on Saturday/Sunday. I'm in no rush, as I prefer this time to do my best and not hurry through steps.

If anyone is reading, please don't hesitate to give advice or let me know if I could improve on anything. I want to learn and this community seems like a great place to do that.

Andy.

AndyMech

AndyMech

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

September 25. 2011

I purchased the kit on September 15 – mispriced at HobbyTown for $65. I also bought a bunch of paint and supplies.
Attached File  P1030186.jpg   80.47KB   30 downloads

Attached File  P1030192.jpg   98.01KB   41 downloads

I washed all the plastic in soapy water, careful not to lose any pieces down the drain.

Attached File  P1030194.jpg   78.48KB   41 downloads

I removed the 32 gun port doors from the sprue and taped them to the hull in position so I can prime/paint them. I
primed the hull (with gun port doors) and the 6 deck pieces with Brite Touch gray automotive primer. I got some splatter on the deck pieces, due to my poor spray painting skills, but it should cover up ok. I plan on painting a initial coat of black on the deck, per the instructions.

I masked off the white gun stripe with Tamiya masking tape, and applied 4 coats of flat white spray paint. Coverage was pretty poor and I got impatient and put a quite thick 4th coat on.

Attached File  P1030221.jpg   72.93KB   33 downloads

Attached File  P1030223.jpg   60.01KB   24 downloads

Attached File  P1030248.jpg   76.2KB   16 downloads

AndyMech

AndyMech

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

October 5 and 6

The white paint stripe on the hull had dried, so I removed the masking tape. I found a fair bit of white paint had seeped under the tape, probably due to my over enthusiastic spraying. Based on a tip I read here, I plan on sealing future tape with clear acrylic.

I scraped away the excess white paint, removed the gun port doors (to set aside) and masked off the white stripe area and the waterline as prep for the black coat.

Attached File  P1030255.jpg   73.58KB   8 downloads

Attached File  P1030257.jpg   46.19KB   8 downloads

Attached File  P1030258.jpg   62.13KB   8 downloads

I painted the yellow masking tape with clear acrylic to seal the tape and also masked off the hatches in the deck pieces – all of these pieces will be spray painted black, and I wanted to do it all at once (spray painting is messy and smelly)

As an aside, after masking the hull sections, I would cut some clear plastic sheeting and tape that to the hull to protect the rest of it from the spray. Worked pretty good, but I still get some seepage.

As this was drying, I cut and trimmed all 66 cannon pieces and glued them together to create 33 cannons. I also painted each of the remaining 30 gun carriages with 2 coats of red paint.

For the gun port doors, I scraped the paint away from the tabs (where they will eventually be glued) and painted an additional 2 coats of flat white paint on them by brush. I also painted their back with 2 coats of white paint.

Attached File  P1030259.jpg   66.12KB   11 downloads

Attached File  P1030260.jpg   63.47KB   12 downloads

Attached File  P1030263.jpg   83.68KB   13 downloads

AndyMech

AndyMech

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

October 12

Copper time! Earlier, I removed the masking tape from the black paint, and then masked off the hull for the copper on the waterline. Again, I used clear acrylic to seal the masking tape and then covered the rest in plastic. I sprayed the masked hull with Testors copper spray.

Issues: As light as I tried to spray the hull, the paint went on really thick and started to run. I let it run for while thinking it might drip off the hull and be ok, but then I got nervous and grabbed some tissue and wiped off the excess. Surprisingly, this worked ok – the copper paint seemed to adhere very well to the primed hull with no streaking. On the second hull half, I tried to go even lighter with the paint, but the same thing happened. I wiped it off again, and it looked ok.

The other issue was the very bottom of the keel didn’t get enough paint due to my angle of spraying. Rather than try to touch up with the spray paint and potentially cause more excess, I plan on just brush painting that later (after gluing the hull together).

Attached File  P1030262.jpg   78.07KB   11 downloads

I removed the masking tape from the hull after the copper had a few days to dry. The water line came out nice and precise, but the plastic sheeting protecting the rest of the hull wasn’t quite as sealed and there was leakage. Nothing that can’t be scraped off and touched up.

Attached File  P1030265.jpg   60.58KB   10 downloads

Attached File  P1030266.jpg   69.72KB   12 downloads

Attached File  P1030268.jpg   83.68KB   15 downloads

I also painted the carriage wheels brown and the little hubs on the wheels black. I scraped the paint off the carriages where the cannon tabs will be glued.

Attached File  P1030269.jpg   86.54KB   16 downloads

AndyMech

AndyMech

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

I painted all 32 cannons “gun metal” black and touched up the hull painting. Then I glued the 32 cannons to their carriages.

I also scraped the paint from the hull where the gun port doors will be painted.

Attached File  P1030288.jpg   70.59KB   14 downloads

Attached File  P1030289.jpg   79.43KB   15 downloads

I cut out the polyflex pieces for the hull windows and glued them into place with white Elmer’s glue (as it should dry clear). I also painted the interior of the bulkheads green (2 coats).

Attached File  P1030290.jpg   72.16KB   15 downloads

Attached File  P1030292.jpg   58.29KB   11 downloads

When all paint and glue was dry, I glued the two hull halves together.

Attached File  P1030294.jpg   64.26KB   8 downloads

AndyMech

AndyMech

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Here's where I can't reconstruct the log very well.  I painted the stand sign, did the touch up and fixed the copper painting on the hull.

Attached File  P1030299.jpg   70.41KB   6 downloads

Attached File  P1030301.jpg   73.48KB   7 downloads

Attached File  P1030303.jpg   69.45KB   5 downloads

Attached File  P1030304.jpg   70.68KB   3 downloads

Did more paint touch up on the hull and painted the bow ornamentation.

Attached File  P1030306.jpg   51.23KB   4 downloads

Attached File  P1030307.jpg   53.34KB   4 downloads

Attached File  P1030309.jpg   46.03KB   7 downloads

Hull complete!

Attached File  P1030310.jpg   67.06KB   7 downloads

AndyMech

AndyMech

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

I painted and attached the rudder and did some other touch up on the rear gallery windows.

Attached File  P1030315.jpg   70.56KB   4 downloads

Attached File  P1030325.jpg   88.63KB   3 downloads

Attached File  P1030324.jpg   47.04KB   3 downloads

AndyMech

AndyMech

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Next up was the gun deck painting.  I was going for a wood deck look without actually planking the deck.

Overall, I remember the steps as:

- Deck were spray painted black (seen previously)

- I applied a base coat of "wood" color

- Using the back of a #11 knife, I scored each plank line

- I mixed a little darker and lighter "wood" color paint by adding a few drops of black and white, then individually painted each plank a random color.  

- Probably had to re-score the plank lines again.

- Final step was to apply either a wash or drybrush black onto the deck for some detail and depth.

I tried both wash and dry brush and was happier with the dry brush effect.

Attached File  P1030316.jpg   63.46KB   14 downloads

Attached File  P1030317.jpg   61.08KB   14 downloads

Attached File  P1030326.jpg   63.11KB   15 downloads

Dry brush:

Attached File  P1030327.jpg   77.16KB   21 downloads

Wash:

Attached File  P1030346.jpg   67.49KB   24 downloads

Attached File  P1030347.jpg   92.92KB   20 downloads

I am also creating my own eyebolts out of wire to replace the plastic ones:

Attached File  P1030349.jpg   25.88KB   14 downloads

• vacotton likes this

AndyMech

AndyMech

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

The last couple of days were spent painting the rear gallery:
- First Iapplied a coat of the Brite Touch gray primer
- Next, I painted the black background (black acrylic)
- Painted the windows white, which took several coats (white acrylic)
- The red trim was next, followed by the flesh, blue and green portions
- Finally, did the gold trim yesterday, followed by 2 hours of touch up

I use a very small brush (size 0) and very little paint, so it doesn't seep. For touch-up, I first used a sewing needle to remove the excess paint. Sometimes you get lucky and only scrape away the excess - other times you need to re-apply the black base coat. A couple of iterations of paint and re-paint were required to get it completed. All this was done under a magnifier. 

Attached File  P1030354.jpg   70.16KB   20 downloads

AndyMech

AndyMech

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Instead of using polyflex for the windows on the rear gallery, I experimented with using diluted white Elmer's glue to form the windows.

I watered it down slightly and used a toothpick to spread it across the window frame from behind.

I think it turned out pretty well, but care must be taken to avoid air bubbles and the glue must be diluted just right -- too thin and it pops, too thick and it isn't very attractive.  I think I spent hours and hours on this, removing them, re-applying, etc.  Pretty happy with the end result, but much more time consuming than just using the clear plastic that came with the kit.  Your decision, of course.

Attached File  P1030360.jpg   64.29KB   17 downloads

Attached File  P1030366.jpg   64.84KB   17 downloads

AndyMech

AndyMech

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

After some initial mistake, I painted the below-decks bulwarks white - I had added the decks, caught the mistake and removed them to paint.  Good thing too, it looks much better with white.

Attached File  P1030377.jpg   59.67KB   10 downloads

Attached File  P1030379.jpg   63.95KB   12 downloads

I installed the tiller and put in the gun decks onto the hull. I also glued the stand pieces to the keel. The stands required an awful lot of filing and sanding as they were too big and I tried my best to get the ship level. The tiller is threaded, as per the instructions, through the deck and eventually onto the main deck.

The gun decks are not glued - they have some play, but are held in place by plastic stays. I've read this is partly to help installing the masts. I'm going to let the stand and tiller dry overnight before continuing with the captain's cabin. 

Attached File  P1030369.jpg   62.42KB   14 downloads

Attached File  P1030374.jpg   75.86KB   12 downloads

AndyMech

AndyMech

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Here's my effort on the Captain's cabin:

Attached File  P1030387.jpg   60.89KB   20 downloads

Attached File  P1030434.jpg   60.24KB   29 downloads

Attached File  P1030437.jpg   68.46KB   33 downloads

AndyMech

AndyMech

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

I also glued on the cannon door covers as the instructions indicated and added the ropes to hold them.

Doesn't sound like a lot, but it took time, especially with 32 cannon doors to rig. 

Using pencils to achieve a uniform door position. Pencils were almost the right size for the door openings - the cards are there to ensure they are up against the upper frame and won't move during gluing.

Attached File  P1030440.jpg   70.58KB   20 downloads

The pencils holding the doors - this is either a dry fit or after gluing.

Attached File  P1030442.jpg   72.26KB   26 downloads

The pencils were removed after about 3 hours drying time. The results were a pretty uniform set of doors at a good angle.

Attached File  P1030443.jpg   43.07KB   20 downloads

All the ropes installed on one side of the ship

Attached File  P1030446.jpg   48.48KB   16 downloads

Attached File  P1030448.jpg   40.48KB   8 downloads

• hopeful, JerryGreening, Mspedale6102 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.