USS Constitution by AndyMech - FINISHED - Revell - 1:96 - PLASTIC

Hi Andy

your Connie is looking great I was going thought some of your logs and admiring your rigging

I have a question  the blocks you are using are they aftermarket wood block or from the kit if

they are the original blocks from the kit they look real to me and if that is the case how did you

paint them

Ronald

All the blocks for the Revell kit are the original blocks supplied with the kit - they are plastic.  I painted each one a "wood" color and then added black paint for the stropping and the loops.  I'm glad the effect came through - my goal was to have them look like wood/iron.

Yes, it was a lot of tedious painting, but for me it was worth it.

For my cross-section Constitution from Mamoli, the wood blocks they supplied were pretty bad, so I purchased replacements, so that is an option if you don't want to paint the plastic one or don't trust that they will hold up to the rigging tension.  I only broke a couple of the plastic ones during the whole rigging, so I think they're fine.  The wood blocks I purchased for the Mamoli kit were from the Syren Ship company, which I'm sure you'll find references to here.  They are of great quality.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

The plastic deck pieces have some subtle wood and plank raised features, which makes it possible to see the "individual" planks if you look closely.  I used these plastic ridges and a #11 knife to score along these lines so I could see them better and then hand-painted the individual planks the different shades of wood color to make them a little more obvious.

It was really an experiment for me, but I think overall it turned out pretty good.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to USS Constitution by AndyMech - FINISHED - Revell - 1:96 - PLASTIC