Greg.Ashwood

The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood: Port Side open to show decks interior. Conceptual idea by Greg the peg leg sailor

78 posts in this topic

Greg the peg leg sailor’s General Conceptual Idea

This would have been my first attempt in doing a scratch built model.

When I started this project, I thought was gong to be a huge job in making the model, and I sure time will prove that I was correct! With my good friend Greg Ashwood’s help as the “brawn”, we planing for at least eight years from now until show cased.

As Julie Andrews told the children in “The Sound of MusicLet start at the very beginning, a very good place to start. When you read you begin with ABC etc…….. So when I start this job I began with the drawing up the plans in Photoshop. I know Photoshop backwards (so did Greg) and we don’t know CAD at all, so this is my (ours) reasoning to use Photoshop.

I used the drawings from AoTS Royal Caroline book as the principal drawings. (I contacted the Royal Maritime Museum in England to asked them for plans of the HMY Royal Caroline by email. They were very useful, but I was told all of their plans are in the AoTS book).  So that is why we are using the book as our reference.

“Simple” I thought, about drawing the plans, but I have been wrong in the past and I’m WRONG NOW. I had a few problems, firstly it was my fault because I didn't read the book before I started.

I assume that the Forms on the Royal Caroline (RW in the future) would be the same constructions as other ships of that period. It wasn’t until about Form 16 of 60 that I read the intro and discovered that the ‘home’ - distance between the forms, was slightly smaller than the width of the forms - 2 Ribs joined together to for a Form. so I started again.

On both of my attempts to do the forms, I was getting an incorrect profile (half cemetery of ribs of end elevation) compare to AoTS. I thought it was the fault of the AoTS profile. It was then, that I measured the widest point on the End Elevation compare to the widest point on the Plan of the decks and discovered a difference. The deck was 18mm wider than the end elevation! so what do I do. I expanded the end elevation by 18 mm and it looked funny compare to other log that I have read. So I shrunk the plans (width) of the decking to match the EE and that is what I’m using.

So starting again….Third Time Lucky (I hope) The number of Ribs now are 86 so therefore 43 Forms.

About 2 to 3 weeks into the planning stage, my right hand (I’m right handed) shakes became worse and worse to the point, where I could control the mouse to get the finer detail that was needed to even to complete the drawings. So, my dear friend Greg Ashwood jumped in and asked me if he could help. Greg knew that I suffer from Parkinson and he offer to do all the work and I’ll be the brains behind the project. I realise that, It was impossible to complete the drawings with out his help, I turnover the project to him. Greg also said that he will complete the model for me…….What a friend I have.

Greg and I have been friends forever, our Admirals call us “the two Greggies” after The Two Ronnies. Greg and I are like twins, and if anyone could do this for me, It would be Greg.  

So over to you Greg Ashwood….

General Overview

The port side of the HMY Royal Caroline will be open showing the complete interior of the all the decks. Greg TPLS even want to do furniture. we’ll see about that, in the years to come. But it would be a nice touch, I must agree!

Greg TPLS started the drawing process using colours to show what rib is where etc……It’s a great idea, and I’ll keep doing it. 

post-24780-0-31321600-1461468548_thumb.jpg

Above you will see a drawing showing what we are planning to do, it’s a rough indication, but the main thing that Greg TPLS want to indicate is that the yellow ribs will be a complete rib and they will be the strength which should hold the ship together. The cut away brown rib which will form the the FORMS will be hold together by every decking etc.

Planned Construction Method

My construction method, is not the norm, at all. I will be making all the Forms complete, but on the Port side I’m all be leaving an indent to cut away latter, after the hull is planked and the internal planking is done to a point where the hull is stronger enough (we hope) to remove the openings of the Port side. The ship will also have a extra length at the top of each Form and they will be tied together with extra timber for strength until the decking is done. I will be using 6 mm Plywood for the Ribs, so the Forms will be 12 mm wide. There will be 9 mm between the Form (home) and again I will be using 9 mm plywood for the spacers ETC..

I must ask for forgiveness in advance from all our MASTER SHIPWRIGHTS out there, for my INCORRECT method in construction. there will be some methods that we are planning which may not be the correct way of doing it, but I’m doing it anyway, just for ease of production. they are (just a few now):

1: I’m making the false keel and the keel in one piece from 6 mm plywood. The Keel will have a 1.5 mm veneer to cover up the plywood cut into shapes as per the AoTS drawings.

2: I don’t know the measurements of the thickness of the Rib/Forms so they will be ALL uniform 6/12 mm wide. Also the Home size I don’t know so I’ll be using 9 mm

3:The Thickness of the decking beams again I don’t know, so Greg TPLS copied the beams sizes from Danny. (He hoped that you did’t mind).

Hope that you will enjoy……….More to come!

Greg Ashwood

Hi "Greggies",

what a fabulous and interesting introduction to this build log. I wish both of you good success and much fun along the ride. It`s a  so fine project shared and helping between two real freinds.  Am looking foreward to keellaying soon,..... :)

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Sounds like a fascinating project, especially that you and the other Greg are evolving the plans yourselves.

Steven

Hi Steven. Welcome aboard. I suppose it's going to be interesting, but extremely difficult as well. Both Greg and I are muddling way through drawing the plans, but i'm confident we are on the right track now. As I said in the intro Greg is the brains, and I'm so glad he has all the headaches not me!

All the best

Greg

Omega1234, slow2cool, Elijah and 1 other like this

Hi "Greggies",

what a fabulous and interesting introduction to this build log. I wish both of you good success and much fun along the ride. It`s a  so fine project shared and helping between two real freinds.  Am looking foreward to keellaying soon,..... :)

Nils

Hi Nils

Thank you for your kind words and welcome aboard. Both Greg and I are please to have you with us.

All the best from

the Greggies

This Greg wishes the two Gregs best of luck on this interesting project. If you need inspiration, check out the Pandora build by Russian ship modeler Narim Maygeldinov

http://forum.modelsworld.ru/topic8068.html. It's one of the finest I've seen.

Greg

Thanks Greg (you must be a good guy with that name LOL) We both looked at the Pandora build and it was very interesting. Do you or anyone else know of a similar type of build but with Royal Caroline?

BTW welcome aboard for a long, long voyage.

Greg

Elijah and slow2cool like this

Hi Gregs, welcome to the forum to the both of you. Can't wait to see where this goes. Sorry to hear of all the false starts, guess i'm not the only one who can't cut wood straight! 

Hi Keith

Thanks for you welcome! And welcome aboard to this build.

I probably didn't explain properly, It was only on the drawing stage that wasn't correct. I will working on the drawings for a long time and then I'll be starting the actual build

All the best

Greg

mtaylor, EJ_L, Elijah and 2 others like this

This looks and sounds like a very interesting build. I think I will pull up a seat to watch this as well. Your ideas are very inspiring. I look forward to seeing them come together.

Hi E.J.

Welcome aboard there's plenty of room. Thank you for your nice complement, but Greg The peg leg sailor (TPLS) was the one who came up with this idea. It's my job to create the drawing then the build.

All the Best

Greg 

Elijah, Omega1234, mtaylor and 1 other like this

Greg

good luck to the build! RYC is a beautiful ship.

Janos

Hi Janos

Thank you for you comments. It is a beautiful ship and we both loved your log on your RC. I'll be asking you for advice in the future. But there's is one question now. Do you think that this plan of ours will work? Greg TPLS got the idea from AL The Bounty kit, but made some modifications.

All the best

Greg

Omega1234, Elijah and mtaylor like this

Greg's,

I've reread your introduction. If I understand it right, you will use the AotS of Sergio Bellabarba as main source for your builds.

If you have the possibility, have a look to get the original italian book "Royal Caroline (1749)", It was published by Murcia.

It contains a complete set of drawings and -in my opinion- the drawings in the book are better reproduced as in the AotS.

G'day Christian

Thank you for the tip. Both Greg and I are having problems with the waterlines on the hull matching the waterlines on the bow and stern elevations.

Havagooday

Greg TPLS

mtaylor, Omega1234 and Elijah like this

G’Day all

Greg Ashwood has asked me to do all the future logs into this project. As you know Greg Ashwood has volunteer to be my “muscle”, it was a fair thing for him, to ask me…so he it is!

Firstly we would like all who has pressed the like buttons and all of your comments. we both really appreciate off of them.

Both Greg and I have been working, sometimes with our hair being pulled out quite hard to understand how to draw the “RIBS”. I thought it was going to be daunting, but it is amazing just how a little change to the “plan” configuration, as there are 3 different layers which is the make up of the plan, can caused a huge difference in the profile of end elevation. To tell the truth, it was getting very frustrating. 

The End Elevation waterline: I, II, III, IV, V. VI. VII, was also a slight problem, because we have to move each one of them separately up an down to finally getting the measurements that we want. if you look closely, you can see that the RED waterline don't match the waterline on the Side Elevation. 

post-16911-0-53817400-1464689664_thumb.jpg

Above is the final rainbow version of the 18 BULKHEADS from the AoTS plans. We only did half of each bulkhead because it will be a very simple process to duplicate the other side. This will only be done when we do the final 86 ribs. These bulkheads can be duplicated and “Transformed a Skewed” downwards for each rib. People who knows PHOTOSHOP would know what I mean!

post-16911-0-34345900-1464689704_thumb.jpg

Above you can see how we draw bulkhead 18 from the plan information. The information from the plan A, B. and C measurements were transposed A, B, and C on the End Elevation. This method was duplicated with the other 17 bulkheads. We had the line waterline drawings from AoTS book and we did about 15 “spot” check with all of the other markers that we have, to see how close we were. it turned out that we were quite close from the PLAN vs the END ELEVATION. It turned out that we were about 0.2 to 0.4 mm out. We took these measurements at 400% enlargements to get as accurate as possible. Again PHOTOSHOP uses will know what I mean.

post-16911-0-92268000-1464689742_thumb.jpg

Above are the first 2 ribs that was drawn by duplicating bulkhead 18 and Transforming and Skewing.

We will continue on the other 84 ribs or 42 Forms……

Elijah, albert, tadheus and 11 others like this